Old 10-29-2012, 04:54 AM   #61
kingfisher3
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Head To Head Comaprisons - Please Clarify

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowerboy View Post

I know the game was more pure back then and we all yearn for the good old days but denying reality just seems silly...i am not saying those fighters are any less and yes we all know they would reign supreme in todays world but I am saying they would need to adjust in order to do so..
that is exactly what you are saying, the adjustment argument is stupid, fighters adjust for the circumstances they are in, john l sullivan could adjust between 4 rounds and finish fights, and between lpr and queensbury rules.

as far as benny leonard, hooks were thrown, he moved.
kingfisher3 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2012, 05:20 AM   #62
bowerboy
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1428

He wouldnt get 4 rounds to adjust to a modern fighter..he would be koed before he got the chance
bowerboy is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2012, 05:22 AM   #63
bowerboy
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Even new standards in guts, heart and determination get set with the passing of time...xyz figher fought through abc problem therefore I can do it..

no one ran a 4 minute mile until it was done and then everyone ran one
bowerboy is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2012, 05:30 AM   #64
kingfisher3
Contender
ESB Senior Member

there isn't a similar weight fighter today who ko's sullivan in 4 rounds, thats the stupidest thing youve said yet

why does it take heart and determination to run a mile? it takes legs and lungs
Old 10-29-2012, 05:49 AM   #65
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Even new standards in guts, heart and determination get set with the passing of time...xyz figher fought through abc problem therefore I can do it..

no one ran a 4 minute mile until it was done and then everyone ran one
Andre Dirrell says otherwise.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2012, 07:27 AM   #66
kingfisher3
Contender
ESB Senior Member

just been reading about diets in 1900 america. artificial preservatives, salt, sugar, caffine, corn syrup, beef fed beef and other bad things either didn't exist or were consumed far, far less, especially by children. these things all have a negative effect on the development of brain and body.

maybe modern fighters aren't unquestionably physically superior to a century ago

they probably are, because of childhood illness, smoking and drinking offseting the food, but even the most obvious reason for modern = better is not without flaws
Old 10-29-2012, 07:57 AM   #67
Mega Lamps
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Vitali Klitschko vs Sam Peter with footage resembling that of the early 20th century, Klitschko reminds me of Jess Willard:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srrmj6eAFGc[/ame]
Mega Lamps is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2012, 08:45 AM   #68
bowerboy
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

So let me ask you this in regards to progress and natural development over time...

Would Joe Louis be a Heavyweight in todays world or even any time in the last 20 or 30 years? If not why not?
bowerboy is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2012, 08:47 AM   #69
bowerboy
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Carl Froch couldnt beat Andre Ward and probably never will...styles
bowerboy is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2012, 10:31 AM   #70
kingfisher3
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
So let me ask you this in regards to progress and natural development over time...

Would Joe Louis be a Heavyweight in todays world or even any time in the last 20 or 30 years? If not why not?
mcgrain would give a more complete answer than me,
that said joe was 6'2, 76 inch reach, tyson 5'10, 71 inch reach. today louis would probably start as a cw and move up, use weights, and fight at hw about 10-15 lbs higher than he did in his prime
Old 10-29-2012, 10:53 AM   #71
bowerboy
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfisher3 View Post
just been reading about diets in 1900 america. artificial preservatives, salt, sugar, caffine, corn syrup, beef fed beef and other bad things either didn't exist or were consumed far, far less, especially by children. these things all have a negative effect on the development of brain and body.

maybe modern fighters aren't unquestionably physically superior to a century ago

they probably are, because of childhood illness, smoking and drinking offseting the food, but even the most obvious reason for modern = better is not without flaws
Actually you raise a good point about Carl Froch and boxing styles..

I have always considered the American boxing style to be quite different from the British and European styles...in fact the British/European style is more akin to the style of the 1930's and 1940's perhaps explaini9ng Frochs style...

I am British but have long bemoaned what happens to the vast majority of British or European fighters when they meet their American counterpart...vast majority but there are exceptions.

You may disagree with me on this whole matter but I do think it is fair to say for the most part British schooled fighters do fight different to US fighters...right or wrong?
bowerboy is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2012, 11:22 AM   #72
kingfisher3
Contender
ESB Senior Member

i used froch as an example because of his style, but also because he has slow hands, yet is effective vs all but the very best

i agree with you about the british style in history, freddie welsh and jim driscoll were from the same place and time, but welsh trained in america early. jim may be regarded as the greater but this style was carried over from bareknuckle. if there is an old style that would be innefective today it is probably driscoll, but even then he is an accurate puncher with a decent chin, workrate and reflexes

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZeevUgKUfc[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LSDYJOFp7Q[/ame]

edit, froch is one of the few modern fighters i get excited to see, and certainly my favourite brit since naz
Old 10-29-2012, 11:35 AM   #73
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

bowerboy; do some research of your own before making statements like you are. I could understand if you were genuinely clueless but you're not; you have an agenda and no matter what anyone says to you you're not gonna' change your mind.

Typical 'I have a question but already have my own opinions and answers' thread.

Your 'British style' post is all over the shop. Stylistically I'd say Froch most resembles American Heavyweight Pete Rademacher.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2012, 12:09 PM   #74
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Stylistically I'd say Froch most resembles American Heavyweight Pete Rademacher.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2012, 12:10 PM   #75
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfisher3 View Post
i used froch as an example because of his style, but also because he has slow hands, yet is effective vs all but the very best

i agree with you about the british style in history, freddie welsh and jim driscoll were from the same place and time, but welsh trained in america early. jim may be regarded as the greater but this style was carried over from bareknuckle. if there is an old style that would be innefective today it is probably driscoll, but even then he is an accurate puncher with a decent chin, workrate and reflexes

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

edit, froch is one of the few modern fighters i get excited to see, and certainly my favourite brit since naz
Interesting post.
McGrain is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum