Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 10-26-2012, 10:54 AM   #1
IANMCD87

vCash: 500
Default Starting out at the age of 25

I have always followed boxing from a young age but there was never any clubs in my area. I live on an Island so the nearest club would be a 3 hour ferry journey and an hour on a bus. But recently a Thai Boxing gym opened up.

While there are no boxing only classes, there are plenty punch bags and a ring so I can finally give it a try. My mate and I have been sparring each other for a few weeks now. We haven't had any coaching so are probably making quite a few mistakes. I weigh around 150lbs and he is around the 220lbs mark, so we go easy, mainly body shots.

When he does throw head shots my reactions aren't great and I get tagged quite a bit. What drills can I do to practice and improve head movement?

He has a video of us sparring so when he sends it to me, if I put it up could I get some pointers on what we are both doing right/wrong? It would be much appreciated.

I would like to improve to a level where I can have amatuer fights. Hopefully this thread is the start of getting to that goal.
IANMCD87 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2012, 12:45 PM   #2
tonyb
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Default Re: Starting out at the age of 25

listen.. first u need to learn to have yout feets shoulderwith apart and get good balance. try puncing all different shots without getting out of balance. balance is VERY inportant!!!!! then after you fell the balance is good u shoulld keep the right hand tight to tour head and just work the jab. jab and move your head and feets and jab. do this for a good week and then u can start following up with other shots. every combination starts of with jab/jabs and finishes of with jab/jabs.. watch mutch video of boxers who is working the pads and sparring. look at clips of Emanuel Steward, freddie roach, floyd mayweather sr, and see how they train boxers. if u watch great trainers like this u can be shour you learn it the right way. remeber to thighten your fist right before you land a punch,and your thumb should face the floor when landing a punch, that way u wount get injuries. and after finishing a combination of punches ALLWAYS do a deffencive move like blocking or moving upper body or moving your feets. if u want more help from me just sen me a private message and ill answer u!GOD LUCK
tonyb is offline  Top
Old 10-27-2012, 08:33 AM   #3
IANMCD87

Thanks for the tips tonyb. My friend was meant to send me the video of us sparring yesterday but didn't. Hopefully I get it soon and I'll put it up.
IANMCD87 is offline  Top
Old 10-27-2012, 01:27 PM   #4
tonyb
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

no problem.. cool, ill watch it
tonyb is offline  Top
Old 10-27-2012, 02:22 PM   #5
nvs
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 400

Get in the gym. Thats where you should start.
nvs is offline  Top
Old 10-27-2012, 04:21 PM   #6
democritus2k

As a beginner, you could start by doing jab-only drills. It's an awesome way to sharpen your jab while also getting used to defending against them. The way to do them is to take turns with one only throwing jabs while the other only practicing defensive manuevers (blocking, parrying, slipping) and footwork. Then switch roles every 30 seconds for 3-5 rounds all together. It's a defensive and offensive drill all in one.

Also, don't get impatient and go into all-out sparring when you don't have a clue on what to do. It just seems counter-productive. An experienced and competent trainer normally goes through all that with you before even letting you spar. Without a trainer or even another trained boxer to work with you, it'll be hard to learn things without picking up bad habits in the process.
democritus2k is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing