Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 10-30-2012, 05:59 PM   #46
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Joe Louis beat the previous 5 heavyweight champions in first 4 years as a pro

Quote:
Sharkey brought a left hook up from the floor into Schmeling's balls. No one could have missed that one.

Dempsey threw borderline low blows off the film I've seen, but he was least savvy enough to make certain the ref couldn't see his fouls if there were any.
Actually, Dempsey threw blatant uppercuts to Sharkey's balls that can be seen by any two objective eyes. Notice how Sharkey grimmaces right away in severe pain and turns to the referee? The bout should have been stopped right at THAT MOMENT, and Dempsey should have been penalized.

Quote:
Sharkey turned to gab with the ref and caught the finisher. Tough luck.
Gab to the Ref? He just got hit flush in his family jewels. He was trying to get the ref's attention to indicate he was in severe pain. It's a pity the Ref wasn't doing his job, or on Dempsey's payroll.

Quote:
Dempsey won standing in a corner watching Sharkey writhing on the canvas.
Writhing on the canvas from the shots to the balls, not the illegal follow up left hook to the head. Notice when Sharkey's on the canvas as he keeps grabbing his balls to indicate pain.

Quote:
Schmeling had to be carried to his corner.
So did Sharkey, who was grabbing his balls the whole time
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2012, 07:42 PM   #47
edward morbius
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Joe Louis beat the previous 5 heavyweight champions in first 4 years as a pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieQ49 View Post
Actually, Dempsey threw blatant uppercuts to Sharkey's balls that can be seen by any two objective eyes. Notice how Sharkey grimmaces right away in severe pain and turns to the referee? The bout should have been stopped right at THAT MOMENT, and Dempsey should have been penalized.

Gab to the Ref? He just got hit flush in his family jewels. He was trying to get the ref's attention to indicate he was in severe pain. It's a pity the Ref wasn't doing his job, or on Dempsey's payroll.

Writhing on the canvas from the shots to the balls, not the illegal follow up left hook to the head. Notice when Sharkey's on the canvas as he keeps grabbing his balls to indicate pain.

So did Sharkey, who was grabbing his balls the whole time
"blatant uppercuts to Sharkey's balls"

I just watched the film. I can't see if those rights to the body and the left hook to the body were in fact low. Only Sharkey's reaction indicates they were. But Dempsey spun Sharkey just before throwing those punches. Thus the ref was behind Dempsey and didn't see any of them land.

(Fritzie Zivic on dirty fighting--always know where the ref is, and only foul when the ref can't see)

"He was trying to get the ref's attention." "illegal follow up left hook to the head"

All right but why was a punch to the chin illegal?

Bottom line--at the end of the sixth, Sharkey hit Dempsey after Dempsey had dropped his hands and was heading back to his corner. He was playing the tough guy. He got what he deserved from Dempsey.

The first rule of the ring is protect yourself at all times. Sharkey couldn't and didn't and paid the price.

Watching this again, I think this was Dempsey's greatest moment. If anyone took a cheap shot at me after the bell like Sharkey did with Dempsey, I would foul the creep and then cold**** him when he sniveled to the ref just like Dempsey did if I had the ability and savvy to get away with it.

This was one time Dempsey lived up to his legend.

Last edited by edward morbius; 11-03-2012 at 08:24 PM.
edward morbius is offline  Top
Old 10-30-2012, 08:00 PM   #48
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Tyson defeated Berbick, Thomas, Smith, Tucker, Spinks ... I's say this ine up was better than the gang Louis beat by far ... When you consider Sharkey was far pst his best and that he was KO'ed by Schmeling there is very little question about it ... any of the above mentioned five defeats Braddock or Carnera ..
he grant is offline  Top
Old 11-01-2012, 08:34 AM   #49
Hookie
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by lufcrazy View Post
Except the draw with Lewis was a BS decision.

I didn't have him beating Bowe in the rematch neither.

holmes and Foreman were both 100 years old between them.

Stats are only worthwhile when context is applied to them.

Plus them being lineal is no big deal, not in my opinion at least.
It is what it is.... the point is, he beat more Lineal HW Champs than any other fighter... even Louis. Schmeling, Sharkey, Carnera, Baer, Braddock, a BS win over Walcott and a tough KO win over Walcott. Impressive but Holyfield would have done just as well vs. these guys... and he most likely wouldn't have hit the canvas.

The draw vs. Lewis was BS but a case can be made that Holyfield won the rematch.

Didn't beat Bowe in the rematch? Are you crazy?

Holmes and Foreman were still very good and their combined age was closer to 80, but whatever.
Hookie is offline  Top
Old 11-01-2012, 02:51 PM   #50
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookie View Post
It is what it is.... the point is, he beat more Lineal HW Champs than any other fighter... even Louis. Schmeling, Sharkey, Carnera, Baer, Braddock, a BS win over Walcott and a tough KO win over Walcott. Impressive but Holyfield would have done just as well vs. these guys... and he most likely wouldn't have hit the canvas.

The draw vs. Lewis was BS but a case can be made that Holyfield won the rematch.

Didn't beat Bowe in the rematch? Are you crazy?

Holmes and Foreman were still very good and their combined age was closer to 80, but whatever.
I don't care who's lineal and who isn't. I don't see the big deal there.

You think he won the Lewis rematch? I had the bowe rematch a draw.
lufcrazy is offline  Top
Old 11-01-2012, 06:10 PM   #51
Boilermaker
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 685

James Jeffries defeated:
Jim Corbett (Lineal Champ)
Bob Fitzsimmons (Lineal Champ)
Peter Jackson (recognised World Champ throughout Cth)
Tom Sharkey (title claimant with his win over Fitzsimmons)
Bob Armstrong (coloured champion)

Unfortunately, Jeffries debut dates are a little sketchy. that may have been 5 years and not 4 years, if you dont consider the Dan Long fight as his professional debut, although it is often reported as such.
Boilermaker is offline  Top
Old 11-03-2012, 04:39 AM   #52
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilermaker View Post
James Jeffries defeated:
Jim Corbett (Lineal Champ)
Bob Fitzsimmons (Lineal Champ)
Peter Jackson (recognised World Champ throughout Cth)
Tom Sharkey (title claimant with his win over Fitzsimmons)
Bob Armstrong (coloured champion)

Unfortunately, Jeffries debut dates are a little sketchy. that may have been 5 years and not 4 years, if you dont consider the Dan Long fight as his professional debut, although it is often reported as such.
Yeah it fits the bill, certainly.
lufcrazy is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum