Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 10-28-2012, 03:04 PM   #1
MVC
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 681
Default Which weight class should I fight at first?

I go to a boxing gym from time to time to train and I'm thinking of fighting amateurs as soon as possible. I'm also a pretty garbage outfighter, what should I do to maximize my in fighting potential. What kinds of exercises should I be doing? I'm pretty much a NOOB beginner.

Weight 142
Height- 172 cm (Yeah I'm short )
Arm length- 26 inches
Wingspan- 71 inches
MVC is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2012, 03:35 PM   #2
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Which weight class should I fight at first?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVC View Post
I'm pretty much a NOOB beginner.
Then you're thinking too far ahead.

Get some months training under your belt and see where your weight sits at. Don't try and force your weight class.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2012, 03:44 PM   #3
MVC
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post
Then you're thinking too far ahead.

Get some months training under your belt and see where your weight sits at. Don't try and force your weight class.
I've been through some classes and they've been pretty successful but I've a ways to go. Thanks for the advice. How long does it take usually before one fights his first amateur bout?
MVC is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2012, 04:08 PM   #4
Jdsm
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1947

Quote:
I've been through some classes and they've been pretty successful but I've a ways to go. Thanks for the advice. How long does it take usually before one fights his first amateur bout?
It completely depends. If you have a competent trainer, then it's going to be when he believes you're ready, so however long that takes.

As Virus said, don't fuss over it yet. Also, when the time does come close, don't try and boil down as low as you can get. I see so many kids going on crash diets and I've even heard of coaches from very respectable clubs encouraging kids to practically starve themselves to make weight.
Jdsm is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2012, 04:32 PM   #5
MVC
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdsm View Post
It completely depends. If you have a competent trainer, then it's going to be when he believes you're ready, so however long that takes.

As Virus said, don't fuss over it yet. Also, when the time does come close, don't try and boil down as low as you can get. I see so many kids going on crash diets and I've even heard of coaches from very respectable clubs encouraging kids to practically starve themselves to make weight.
Think I'm a tad too old to start? Like I said I started pretty much months ago and I'm already 21 :(. I'd like to think my reflexes are pretty good, good power, decent speed.

I wanna try to fight in the 2016 Olympics but it may be out of reach. what do you think?
MVC is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2012, 04:37 PM   #6
Jdsm
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Think I'm a tad too old to start? Like I said I started pretty much months ago and I'm already 21 :(. I'd like to think my reflexes are pretty good, good power, decent speed.

I wanna try to fight in the 2016 Olympics but it may be out of reach. what do you think?
**** no
Jdsm is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2012, 04:45 PM   #7
MVC
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdsm View Post
**** no
In terms of training, how long do you think one should do roadwork for per day?
MVC is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2012, 04:53 PM   #8
Jdsm
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
In terms of training, how long do you think one should do roadwork for per day?
Don't do it every day, more harm than good. If you're going to do it, a couple of times per week will suffice. Focus more on things that are more beneficial to boxing, such as sprints/intervals etc.
Jdsm is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2012, 05:14 PM   #9
MrSmall
Journeyman

Quote:
I go to a boxing gym from time to time to train and I'm thinking of fighting amateurs as soon as possible. I'm also a pretty garbage outfighter, what should I do to maximize my in fighting potential. What kinds of exercises should I be doing? I'm pretty much a NOOB beginner.

Weight 142
Height- 172 cm (Yeah I'm short )
Arm length- 26 inches
Wingspan- 71 inches
Train and compete at a weight you feel fit and strong at. Don't worry about numbers, it doesn't matter nearly as much as you may be led to believe unless you are competing at a reasonably high level. Someone may outweigh you 5lbs, and you are stronger, fitter and more skilled than he is. If they are stronger, faster and fitter than you, then chances are that isn't only because he weighs 5lbs more than you - he trains harder and smarter than you do. Especially as a beginner, focus on as FEW areas as possible. I made the mistake you are making in thinking about WHEN I fight, what weight should I be at, am I too short for this, too slow for that, too tall for this, etc etc. Focus on your skill development and confidence, secondary your fitness and your strength in the ring and sparring, and things will fall into place.
MrSmall is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2012, 05:22 PM   #10
MrSmall
Journeyman

Quote:

You are not too old to start. Everyone asks this question from age 18 to 33. You know when is too old? The day you let that question STOP you from fighting, or you reach 34 and can't compete by the rules. In 6 months you could be a national champion, if you have the talent. If not, you could be in 5 years from sheer hard work with limited talent.

Who is anyone to say if you are too old to do what you want to do. People waste YEARS one way or another asking themselves this question, and putting HALF assed effort into their training because they believe some mythical notion of being "too old" to do something.

2016 Olympics is out of reach until you start training. Then, you should focus on actually fighting a bout. Then, focus on your regional championship. Then, focus on your national championship. Then, a continental matchup. By the time you are succeeding with those, it may well be close to an Olympic Games. People dedicate their LIVES to getting to that kind of level, it isn't a vision that is made or broken by some guys on an internet forum, whether they think you are too old or not.

You have to have a desire deep inside you, that nobody needs to know about, nobody needs to encourage you about and nobody needs to motivate you about. If you have that, then you know the answer to your question. If you do not, then you are just looking for a way out.

Of course this is for the level you are talking about - to be in the top 20 athletes in the WORLD in your selected sport and class. You can get to a good level nationally without this kind of hell bent vision. But it all depends on the kind of person you are, deep inside.

Bottom line - do what YOU want to do and don't ask other people what you should do. If you want to compete as an amateur, take things ONE step at a time. You are talking about the Olympics without ever having stepped in the ring. Take things slow, have a fight, give it a few days, decide if you want to do it again.
MrSmall is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing