boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 10-28-2012, 03:24 PM   #16
megalala
Journeyman

vCash: 500
Default Re: Ricky Burns and the other top lightweights.

With regards to Burns my view is to strike while the iron is hot, get Burns in with a Broner or Rios now when Burns is at the top of his game. Burns is a big lightweight and in my opinon he shouldnt fear anyone.

The Walsh fight is dissapointing in terms of Ricky Burns because he should be fighting the best out there but in saying that Walsh is a good up and coming boxer who could go far in the game, just dont think fighting Burns right now is a great move for him.
megalala is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-28-2012, 04:01 PM   #17
Peter__1987

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by craney91 View Post
I don't think much of Broner, Vazquez, Abril or De Marco, and Ricky Burns is clearly very talented, his improvement has been sensational, no getting away from it. He is a very good fighter, and if anybody should be fighting De Marco next, its Ricky Burns, NOT Adrien Broner.

But we all know why he isn't, part of it is down to W-arren, part of it is down to Ricky being a nobody in America. Those 4 fighters mentioned may not be anything special, but they are the money men in the division, and thats what boxing is now, money.

The fights that make the most money, will always be preferred to the ones between 2 very very good boxers. We've seen this with Andre Ward and Carl Froch. 2 great fighters, but it didnt sell well. So if you can get 2 very good fighters AND make money, its win-win. But its all about the money fights, this is prizefighting, why do you think Mayweather doesn't bother unless they talk big money!?!

This isn't about the ability of Ricky Burns, or the other fighters mentioned, this is about money and popularity. Ricky has neither in America, and considering this is where he will have to go, he may have to have a couple of fights in America on under cards against top 20 opposition, just to get noticed. If he wins those fights, then top 5 fights make them self, not only will he be improving with the experience of fighting in America, all be it on undercards, he'll be getting attention and exposure, to the point where, if he wins these fights and the top 5 still overlook him, they will be seen as ducking him because of his ability, so one way or another, the fights have to be made, because if not, it wont sit on Ricky's door, but at the likes of Broner, De Marco, Abril and Vazquez's.

Ricky doesn't have pull in America, so if he is going to get there, he is going to have to fight for everything to deserve his place......this isn't Ricky Hatton.....
U saying Ricky didn't deserve his fights in America?
Old 10-28-2012, 04:07 PM   #18
craney91
Belt holder
ESB Addict

No, I'm saying Hatton had pull and appeal before even going to America.

Ricky Burns hasn't got anything but his boxing ability. It's this that he will have to rely on to keep winning, because winning against top opposition is the only way he will get these money fights.

He's just not popular.
craney91 is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2012, 04:25 PM   #19
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:

Ricky Burns hasn't got anything but his boxing ability. It's this that he will have to rely on to keep winning, because winning against top opposition is the only way he will get these money fights.

He's just not popular.
If a top name gets the WBO mandatory,it might get taken out of F-****'s hands.
I can't see how Vasquez isn't gettable if he fought his mandatory for $28k
PityTheFool is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2012, 04:40 PM   #20
rossco666
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
I don't think much of Broner, Vazquez, Abril or De Marco, and Ricky Burns is clearly very talented, his improvement has been sensational, no getting away from it. He is a very good fighter, and if anybody should be fighting De Marco next, its Ricky Burns, NOT Adrien Broner.

But we all know why he isn't, part of it is down to W-arren, part of it is down to Ricky being a nobody in America. Those 4 fighters mentioned may not be anything special, but they are the money men in the division, and thats what boxing is now, money.

The fights that make the most money, will always be preferred to the ones between 2 very very good boxers. We've seen this with Andre Ward and Carl Froch. 2 great fighters, but it didnt sell well. So if you can get 2 very good fighters AND make money, its win-win. But its all about the money fights, this is prizefighting, why do you think Mayweather doesn't bother unless they talk big money!?!

This isn't about the ability of Ricky Burns, or the other fighters mentioned, this is about money and popularity. Ricky has neither in America, and considering this is where he will have to go, he may have to have a couple of fights in America on under cards against top 20 opposition, just to get noticed. If he wins those fights, then top 5 fights make them self, not only will he be improving with the experience of fighting in America, all be it on undercards, he'll be getting attention and exposure, to the point where, if he wins these fights and the top 5 still overlook him, they will be seen as ducking him because of his ability, so one way or another, the fights have to be made, because if not, it wont sit on Ricky's door, but at the likes of Broner, De Marco, Abril and Vazquez's.

Ricky doesn't have pull in America, so if he is going to get there, he is going to have to fight for everything to deserve his place......this isn't Ricky Hatton.....
i wouldnt go as far as saying ricky's a nobody in america, thats flat out bull as usual craney. he's starting to get respect over there by alot of boxing writers and he's rated highly by proper boxing fans. a small example is calix from hailstormsports.com. [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] . sure he wont be a sell out name over there but he's hardly a nobody.

as for broner, you do realise he's just a hype job right now. just because he's hyped doesnt mean he draws an audience. his fights dont sell out mate. i think you've been fooled by the hair combing and mayweather patter! ricky's a bigger draw in scotland than broner is in america.

what do you mean ''deserve his place'' who does he have to beat over here before he 'deserves' his big unification fight in america. he's a world champion for **** sake craney.
for a big joe calzaghe fan your opinions on burns record and this fighting in american **** really baffles me.

Last edited by rossco666; 10-28-2012 at 04:52 PM.
rossco666 is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2012, 04:41 PM   #21
rooq
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Vasquez looked pretty poor last night. Surely FW should be trying to make that fight happen
rooq is online now  Top
Old 10-28-2012, 04:42 PM   #22
wrimc
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PityTheFool View Post
If a top name gets the WBO mandatory,it might get taken out of F-****'s hands.
I can't see how Vasquez isn't gettable if he fought his mandatory for $28k
This frustrates me so much people like Vasquez are clearly gettable for a title unification 100k would get him over.
wrimc is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2012, 05:39 PM   #23
billy nelson
the fighting scots gym
East Side Guru

Quote:

He's just not popular.
What a statment to make mate(ricky hasnt got anythingbut his boxing talent),well i may be wrong but if you dont have talent you dont win titles!Has long as you have boxing ability you will succeed and ricky has it in spades,he is improving with each fight and will beat any of the other champions IMO then move up to LWW.
billy nelson is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2012, 05:44 PM   #24
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

Perhaps he could Billy, but Burns fans such as myself don't want to turn into the British equivalent of *****s, and be reduced to saying...

''Burns doesn't have to fight the best fighters because he'd beat them anyway''

Walsh is a **** opponent, considering where both are at this stage of their careers. Burns is, or ought to be, at his absolute peak.

Lennox Lewis wouldn't have fought Danny Williams in 1999, would he?
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2012, 06:09 PM   #25
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy nelson View Post
What a statment to make mate(ricky hasnt got anythingbut his boxing talent),well i may be wrong but if you dont have talent you dont win titles!Has long as you have boxing ability you will succeed and ricky has it in spades,he is improving with each fight and will beat any of the other champions IMO then move up to LWW.
Billy,I'm sure you've seen that myself and several others regularly defend Ricky on here,and I know you for one were all for Ricky chasing Marquez,but would you agree that unless there's a unification fight on the way,the Walsh fight is a let down for those of us who defend Ricky and as a stay busy fight,it'd be ok if the belt wasn't on the line.
I only say this because many of us feel Ricky can hold his own with anyone in the division and this fight is beneath him at this point.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:10 PM   #26
BlackBrenny
Champion
East Side Guru

Craney, Ricky is not a nobody, he is a highliy highly respected/regarded lightweight, easily ranked by most serious boxing fans in europe, asia, or north america, as one of the best lightweights in the world.
BlackBrenny is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2012, 06:12 PM   #27
BlackBrenny
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy nelson View Post

Billy, you know I am a BIG ricky fan, but I can only defend him so much, we know you guys want the big fights, are they happening or not? Liam Walsh is a **** defence, that's all there is to it. And like I said in another thread, I actually really, really like Liam Walsh as a prospect, but he should not be fighting Ricky Burns, not at all. BUT, this could be forgiven should Ricky get a unification early next year, but ONLY then. No ****ing Scott Harrison please
Old 10-28-2012, 06:15 PM   #28
BlackBrenny
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PityTheFool View Post
Billy,I'm sure you've seen that myself and several others regularly defend Ricky on here,and I know you for one were all for Ricky chasing Marquez,but would you agree that unless there's a unification fight on the way,the Walsh fight is a let down for those of us who defend Ricky and as a stay busy fight,it'd be ok if the belt wasn't on the line.
I only say this because many of us feel Ricky can hold his own with anyone in the division and this fight is beneath him at this point.

Well said.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:21 PM   #29
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBrenny View Post
Well said.
BB,I can just about live with this fight mate,but a Harrison fight would sicken me.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:28 PM   #30
perspicacity
Raising The Bar
ESB Addict

vCash: 185000

There is an old saying ..... "Strike while the iron is hot!"

Let's not **** about after this Walsh fight, it's time.
perspicacity is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum