Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 10-28-2012, 05:38 PM   #31
BlackBrenny
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Re: Ricky Burns and the other top lightweights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBrenny View Post
Craney, Ricky is not a nobody, he is a highliy highly respected/regarded lightweight, easily ranked by most serious boxing fans in europe, asia, or north america, as one of the best lightweights in the world.
And I missed out perhaps the most important group, the FIGHTERS themselves hold Ricky in as high an esteem
BlackBrenny is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2012, 05:51 PM   #32
Peter__1987

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PityTheFool View Post
Billy,I'm sure you've seen that myself and several others regularly defend Ricky on here,and I know you for one were all for Ricky chasing Marquez,but would you agree that unless there's a unification fight on the way,the Walsh fight is a let down for those of us who defend Ricky and as a stay busy fight,it'd be ok if the belt wasn't on the line.
I only say this because many of us feel Ricky can hold his own with anyone in the division and this fight is beneath him at this point.
well said
Old 10-28-2012, 05:52 PM   #33
rossco666
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy nelson View Post
What a statment to make mate(ricky hasnt got anythingbut his boxing talent),well i may be wrong but if you dont have talent you dont win titles!Has long as you have boxing ability you will succeed and ricky has it in spades,he is improving with each fight and will beat any of the other champions IMO then move up to LWW.

billy i read ricky was going to visit the mayweather gym on holiday and try get some sparring. did he get any sparring over there at all?
rossco666 is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2012, 05:59 PM   #34
rossco666
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by perspicacity View Post
There is an old saying ..... "Strike while the iron is hot!"

Let's not **** about after this Walsh fight, it's time.
spot on!
Old 10-28-2012, 06:09 PM   #35
BlackBrenny
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossco666 View Post
billy i read ricky was going to visit the mayweather gym on holiday and try get some sparring. did he get any sparring over there at all?
I heard he trained there a while, got some good work done, I know he didn't get to see Mayweather as he was absent, dunno if he got any sparring
Old 10-28-2012, 06:27 PM   #36
rossco666
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
I heard he trained there a while, got some good work done, I know he didn't get to see Mayweather as he was absent, dunno if he got any sparring
cheers for the info mate
i know ricky loves mayweather as a boxer, theres a short vid on youtube of ricky where he say's ''hi my names ricky burns, my favourite boxer is floyd mayweather.'' i read he was hoping to meet and hopefully spar floyd. very long shot that one!
Old 10-28-2012, 06:30 PM   #37
craney91
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy nelson View Post
What a statment to make mate(ricky hasnt got anythingbut his boxing talent),well i may be wrong but if you dont have talent you dont win titles!Has long as you have boxing ability you will succeed and ricky has it in spades,he is improving with each fight and will beat any of the other champions IMO then move up to LWW.
I said it because he isn't popular across the waters, and apart from the die-hards in America, It's very much "Ricky Burns!?! Who dat!?!"

Some fighters get by on their name, the reputation, how they sell. For instance, Audley Harrison, regardless of what anybody says, he sells a fight and he is very well known. Even if he is completely useless in the ring.

Ricky Burns has the opposite, he has the skill in the ring and has improved, but the pull and appeal outside of it across the pond isn't very powerful, and until he starts getting in the ring with top 5 world opposition at Lightweight, that won't grow. It's all about money fights in America and who can generate it. That's why Ricky Hatton in America was a no-brainer, he was undefeated and had the pull and appeal BEFORE stepping on a plane to go over to Vegas. It may be harsh, but in America Ricky Burns is "just another fighter" at the moment.

And I don't think this next fight with Liam Walsh enhances that appeal in America. Not even his die-hard fans up in Scotland are to stubborn not to admit that.
craney91 is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2012, 06:36 PM   #38
BlackBrenny
Champion
East Side Guru

Craney, Ricky Hatton got publicity from a very good win over Tszyu.

Across the waters, or across the plain, there are 3 top names at lightweight, those are, Miguel Vazquez, Antonio De Marco, and Ricky Burns. Should Broner beat De Marco, he enters that bracket, but the fact is, Ricky Burns is universally recognised as one of the top names in the lightweight division, just as he was in the super-featherweight division.

I mean, you can say "Who dat?!" all you want, but the fact is, Adrien Broner knew who Ricky Burns was, before Ricky Burns knew who Adrian Broner was, that's the bottom line. Adrien Broner? WHO DAT?

Feigning ignorance doesn't quite have the same affect when you've already called the guy out a million times and mentioned him as a name youd love to fight.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:46 PM   #39
craney91
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Craney, Ricky Hatton got publicity from a very good win over Tszyu.

Across the waters, or across the plain, there are 3 top names at lightweight, those are, Miguel Vazquez, Antonio De Marco, and Ricky Burns. Should Broner beat De Marco, he enters that bracket, but the fact is, Ricky Burns is universally recognised as one of the top names in the lightweight division, just as he was in the super-featherweight division.

I mean, you can say "Who dat?!" all you want, but the fact is, Adrien Broner knew who Ricky Burns was, before Ricky Burns knew who Adrian Broner was, that's the bottom line. Adrien Broner? WHO DAT?

Feigning ignorance doesn't quite have the same affect when you've already called the guy out a million times and mentioned him as a name youd love to fight.

Just me then? Must be just me that hears Ricky Burns talk about Adrien Broner after every fight.

I first heard this, maybe 3 fights ago.
craney91 is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2012, 07:02 PM   #40
joegrundy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2592

Ricky Burns is the best lightweight in the world, he will prove it soon.
joegrundy is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2012, 07:06 PM   #41
rossco666
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by craney91 View Post

Just me then? Must be just me that hears Ricky Burns talk about Adrien Broner after every fight.

I first heard this, maybe 3 fights ago.
Burns spoke of fighting broner once back at super feather because broner was calling him out, which he is doing alot of at lightweight as well. Why the **** would burns start calling out broner when he has **** all to offer. (dont say money). Broner has called out every champ at the weight while burns doesnt and dont need to call out or talk about any fighter without a belt. If ricky has spoke about fighting broner its a reaction to broner calling him out. I think you need to get it in your head burns is the world champion not broner.

Last edited by rossco666; 10-28-2012 at 07:22 PM.
Old 10-28-2012, 07:39 PM   #42
billy nelson
the fighting scots gym
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossco666 View Post
No mate he just hit the bags for 10 rounds per day,I think he meet the dad and uncle
billy nelson is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2012, 09:26 PM   #43
Bellewlovechild
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Broners first fight at the weight is demarco, Burns is fighting a ****ing farmer let him move up and dodge more
Bellewlovechild is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2012, 06:08 AM   #44
JamieC
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

lets face it i think ricky wants and would win the unifications, but it looks like ***** has managed to get a mandatory made for early next year, he does not want ricky to have these fights so he's lobbied the WBO to force ricky not to, so sad and such a waste if ricky doesnt for *****'s hand here
JamieC is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2012, 07:24 AM   #45
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellewlovechild View Post
Broners first fight at the weight is demarco, Burns is fighting a ****ing farmer let him move up and dodge more
And Ricky's first fight at the weight was against Katsidis,whom 99% of people picked to win.
Walsh is a bad,bad fight,but let's not make silly comparisons.Have any of the top names actually lobbied Ricky for a fight?
When Broner,Vasquez or Demarco come out and offer or demand a fight with Ricky,then your comparison will stand up.
PityTheFool is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum