Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 10-25-2012, 10:26 AM   #1
Brand NOOBian
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Pull-up/Chin-up Routines

I normally do 3x10 pull-ups and 3x10 chin-ups and some light back/bicep DB workouts after my normal boxing work out once a week. Maybe it's cuz I'm already tired from boxing, but some days I have no problems and some days I struggle with the last rep of the 2nd set and last few reps of the 3rd set on both pull-ups/chin-ups lately. I didn't go to the boxing gym today and just did some pull-ups/chin-ups at a park. Just to see if I could do it, I decided to try and do a total of 100 pull-ups and 100 chin-ups. I've never done more than 30 each on a given day before. I did 20 sets of 5 reps of each, and surprisingly the 20th set seemed just as easy as the 1st for both. Didn't really feel like I got a work out, but I doubt I could've done 10x10. Are there any benefits to doing pull-ups/chin-ups this way compared to the way I normally do them? What's your typical pull-up/chin-up routine look like?
Brand NOOBian is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2012, 12:40 PM   #2
noobboxer_88
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Default Re: Pull-up/Chin-up Routines

What i do (sometimes) when i lift is similar to the Fibonacci sequence (the actual sequence as follows): 1+1+2+3+5+8+13+21 etc etc. When lifting light it gives a great pump tons of blood there. So taking that same idea: pick a specific number of reps say 21. First you would do one set of 1. Thats it. Then another set of 1. So youve done 2 reps. Now (math is involved) 1+1 is 2 so do 2 reps. So now you have completed 4 set 2 sets if 1 and 1 set of two. 2+1 etc etc. The numbers are endless. Or you can do basic pyramids. : start with 10 then 9 8 7 etc etc
noobboxer_88 is offline  Top
Old 10-26-2012, 08:42 PM   #3
Hammer Muldoon
Contender
ESB Senior Member

This is me and some of the lads messing about:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3MTqRWPiZU&feature=relmfu[/ame]
Hammer Muldoon is offline  Top
Old 10-26-2012, 09:19 PM   #4
boranbkk
"ไม่ได้โม้นะ"
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Muldoon View Post
This is me and some of the lads messing about:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Wow.....I'm impressed.You guys must live in that playground!
boranbkk is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2012, 09:55 AM   #5
Brand NOOBian
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Tried doing 3x10 pull-ups/chin-ups at the boxing gym today. Struggled with the 2nd/3rd set of pull-ups. Couldn't even finish one set of 10 chin-ups after, so I just did 5x6. Had a pretty crappy training session overall in terms of endurance on the heavy bag and strength on pull-ups/chin-ups. I've done 3x10 pull-ups/chin-ups after boxing in the recent past without any issues. Not sure what the problem was today. Maybe I just got weaker.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:22 AM   #6
noobboxer_88
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brand NOOBian View Post
Tried doing 3x10 pull-ups/chin-ups at the boxing gym today. Struggled with the 2nd/3rd set of pull-ups. Couldn't even finish one set of 10 chin-ups after, so I just did 5x6. Had a pretty crappy training session overall in terms of endurance on the heavy bag and strength on pull-ups/chin-ups. I've done 3x10 pull-ups/chin-ups after boxing in the recent past without any issues. Not sure what the problem was today. Maybe I just got weaker.
Try doin your pullup/chin up BEFORE your other training (unless its weight training then whenever you want). Reason for that is your muscles are considerably weaker after a cardio session. Try it. run for 45 mins then try some lifts you normally do. Wait a day or two then do the opposite: lif then run. you'll notice the significance.
noobboxer_88 is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2012, 10:36 AM   #7
Brand NOOBian
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobboxer_88 View Post
Try doin your pullup/chin up BEFORE your other training (unless its weight training then whenever you want). Reason for that is your muscles are considerably weaker after a cardio session. Try it. run for 45 mins then try some lifts you normally do. Wait a day or two then do the opposite: lif then run. you'll notice the significance.
I've considered that, but I figured it's better to dedicate my energy toward boxing training first, and then do the extra stuff afterward. My motivation for boxing pretty much disappeared after I found out my first fight got cancelled though. I'll try doing my pushup/tricep routine before boxing tomorrow and see if my boxing suffers at all.
Old 10-29-2012, 12:11 PM   #8
danhardinges304
Journeyman

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBxRxP8OccM[/ame]
danhardinges304 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing