Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 10-29-2012, 08:14 AM   #1
tezel8764
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 527
Default Which Heavyweight Would Be Able To Finish Him Off?

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
tezel8764 is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2012, 08:17 AM   #2
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Which HW Would Be Able To Finish Him Off?

Looks like Tyson-Bruno I

In answer to to your question,I see a prime 1973-74 George Foreman nailing Tyson in that same scenario.

Last edited by Stevie G; 10-29-2012 at 08:56 AM.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2012, 08:49 AM   #3
johnmaff36
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: Which Heavyweight Would Be Able To Finish Him Off?

I honestly fail to see Tyson being really hurt here. If one hadnt seen the fight and listened to all the stories about it, you'd think Bruno sent him flying across the ring with an Earnie Shavers right hand (tyson-esque, ironically).

All i see, and have ever seen, is Bruno swinging a right hand, which landed, and Tyson immediately missing with a left hook which looked worse than what it was. I just dont see what others see here. I dont believe Tyson was hurt.

Not having a pop at Bruno, its just how i see it
johnmaff36 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2012, 08:52 AM   #4
MadcapMaxie
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmaff36 View Post
I honestly fail to see Tyson being really hurt here. If one hadnt seen the fight and listened to all the stories about it, you'd think Bruno sent him flying across the ring with an Earnie Shavers right hand (tyson-esque, ironically).

All i see, and have ever seen, is Bruno swinging a right hand, which landed, and Tyson immediately missing with a left hook which looked worse than what it was. I just dont see what others see here. I dont believe Tyson was hurt.

I think the right hurt mike a bit but it was the two left hooks that followed that did some damage, particularly the second one. Don't think Tyson was really hurt just stunned for a bit, but then again that's all some people like Foreman and Louis would need.
MadcapMaxie is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2012, 09:16 AM   #5
Badbot
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1170

Quote:

That definently hurt him. Shots like that do but i have to agree with you, it looked worse due to Mike missing his shot.
Badbot is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2012, 10:25 AM   #6
doug.ie
'Classic Boxing Society'
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:

you're right......but there's a 'but' to that for me.

i remember trying to watch this in 1989...from the best of my knowledge it was one of the first, if not they first, ppv boxing events in the u.k.
i was living near coventry in my aunties house at the time and listened to it on the radio as it was on in the middle of the night and was 25 pounds to get into a pub showing it...a lot of money for me then.

at the time tyson was seen as unbeatable, magazines claimed he would easily beat any heavyweight that ever lived...and not only would he be the youngest heavyweight champion, but the oldest too...the man to beat him had not been born yet was a common line from the media....bruno was given no chance, at all.....but he was britian's darling...he had the whole country wishing he would be ok...and when that moment happened in the fight, it was blown out of all porportion..the radio commentary made it sound like he had tyson half out at that moment...and for months after uk media said if bruno had followed up with a big right he'd have got him.

looking back...i agree with john above...but at the time it was very easy to get carried away with 'what could have been'...especially with the stature of tyson at the time...he was unbeatable in everyone's eyes...that moment by bruno was always going to be over analysed and blown up.
doug.ie is online now  Top
Old 10-29-2012, 10:34 AM   #7
Colonel Sanders
NSB defector
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tezel8764 View Post
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
finish him off ??? he's not ready to go
Colonel Sanders is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2012, 11:08 AM   #8
johnmaff36
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug.ie View Post
you're right......but there's a 'but' to that for me.

i remember trying to watch this in 1989...from the best of my knowledge it was one of the first, if not they first, ppv boxing events in the u.k.
i was living near coventry in my aunties house at the time and listened to it on the radio as it was on in the middle of the night and was 25 pounds to get into a pub showing it...a lot of money for me then.

at the time tyson was seen as unbeatable, magazines claimed he would easily beat any heavyweight that ever lived...and not only would he be the youngest heavyweight champion, but the oldest too...the man to beat him had not been born yet was a common line from the media....bruno was given no chance, at all.....but he was britian's darling...he had the whole country wishing he would be ok...and when that moment happened in the fight, it was blown out of all porportion..the radio commentary made it sound like he had tyson half out at that moment...and for months after uk media said if bruno had followed up with a big right he'd have got him.

looking back...i agree with john above...but at the time it was very easy to get carried away with 'what could have been'...especially with the stature of tyson at the time...he was unbeatable in everyone's eyes...that moment by bruno was always going to be over analysed and blown up.
Dya know something Doug, i was on a boat in Plymouth and we got up around 3am to listen to it on the radio. When i heard the radio commentary i thought Frank done an Ingemar Johannsonn on Tyson the way the commentater was getting on. If my memory serves me right it was shown the next day on bbc1 in the afternoon and i couldnt wait to see this 'topsy-turvy' battle that id listened to. Christ was i disappointed. Completely different fight to what i had listened to
johnmaff36 is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2012, 11:36 AM   #9
dyna
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1551

Bruno could really bang, and bang very hard...

Terrible finisher, lost composure when hit, terrible stamina.
If he had a better "instinct" he could have finished Tyson... but he didn't have it so he couldn't.

I think if Bruno had stopped Tyson in 1 round, that day would have become a British national holiday

Last edited by dyna; 10-29-2012 at 11:50 AM.
dyna is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2012, 11:42 AM   #10
Titan1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Greg Page, Joe Frazier, and Larry Holmes.
Titan1 is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2012, 02:16 PM   #11
DDDUUDDDEE
Undisputed Ambien (taker)
East Side Guru

Louis would have pounced on him like a feral cat during that split second Tyson was off balance/hurt.
DDDUUDDDEE is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2012, 02:24 PM   #12
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Tyson was clearly hurt. The immediate stiffness in his torso and legs makes that nigh on obvious.

Hurt enough to be stopped? Probably not. He got hit with a good shot that did damage. Sometimes that is all there is.

That said, had he been in with a bigger puncher and somebody who wasn't an inept finisher, they could have made his troubles bigger and more dire in a hurry.
MagnaNasakki is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2012, 06:04 PM   #13
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Default Re: Which HW Would Be Able To Finish Him Off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie G View Post
Looks like Tyson-Bruno I

In answer to to your question,I see a prime 1973-74 George Foreman nailing Tyson in that same scenario.
..only Tyson doesn't make it to the end of the round. They can debate the latter day Foreman vs Tyson all they want, all i know is that the young, prime Foreman destroys Tyson....just my opinion of course!
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2012, 06:06 PM   #14
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDUUDDDEE View Post
Louis would have pounced on him like a feral cat during that split second Tyson was off balance/hurt.
Yes he would have. A very nice choice of words too BTW DDDUUDDDEE!
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2012, 06:53 PM   #15
Son of Gaul
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 248

Quote:

It really just depends on what your definition of "hurt" is. Either way, he's definitely stunned there...
Son of Gaul is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum