Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-29-2007, 03:06 AM   #1
Maxmomer
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,690
vCash: 619
Default I believe I've damaged my pinkie knuckles on the heavy bag

I first noticed this pain a few months ago but since it hasn't gotten any better I think it might be something to worry about a little. If I push on the knuckle it hurts and it hurts pretty bad if I ever punch with it. I don't think it's fracutred because the pain isn't that bad but it's been months and it won't go away. Is this a common boxing related injury and if so, any ideas on how to treat it or am I just being a *****?
Maxmomer is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2007, 03:35 AM   #2
Pugsley
Fat Bastard
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 335
vCash: 1000
Default Re: I believe I've damaged my pinkie knuckles on the heavy bag

If its a bone fracture, it will hurt if you *extend* the joint. Normally fractures heal within 2-3 months. If the pain has persisted over that time (4-6 and up) it means you've torn a tendon. If you continue to put pressure on it you are preventing it from healing, and you are likely to sustain permanent damage to your knuckle, from then on you can kiss your boxing goodbye.

Based on proper medical advice which I have to offer there is nothing else you can do but to take a few months off (or at least avoid anymore activities which will hurt the finger).
Pugsley is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 03:47 AM   #3
Krippy
Thread Killer
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 73
vCash: 1000
Default Re: I believe I've damaged my pinkie knuckles on the heavy bag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxmomer
I first noticed this pain a few months ago but since it hasn't gotten any better I think it might be something to worry about a little. If I push on the knuckle it hurts and it hurts pretty bad if I ever punch with it. I don't think it's fracutred because the pain isn't that bad but it's been months and it won't go away. Is this a common boxing related injury and if so, any ideas on how to treat it or am I just being a *****?
Are you wrapping your hands and wearing gloves or just hitting the bag hanging in your garage for fun?
Krippy is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 03:54 AM   #4
Maxmomer
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,690
vCash: 619
Default Re: I believe I've damaged my pinkie knuckles on the heavy bag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krippy
Are you wrapping your hands and wearing gloves or just hitting the bag hanging in your garage for fun?
I always at least wrap my hands. Wear gloves if I'm practicing more powerful punches.
Maxmomer is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007, 03:56 AM   #5
Maxmomer
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,690
vCash: 619
Default Re: I believe I've damaged my pinkie knuckles on the heavy bag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugsley
If its a bone fracture, it will hurt if you *extend* the joint. Normally fractures heal within 2-3 months. If the pain has persisted over that time (4-6 and up) it means you've torn a tendon. If you continue to put pressure on it you are preventing it from healing, and you are likely to sustain permanent damage to your knuckle, from then on you can kiss your boxing goodbye.

Based on proper medical advice which I have to offer there is nothing else you can do but to take a few months off (or at least avoid anymore activities which will hurt the finger).
Damage to the tendon seems right. The tendon on my knee is already a little hurt so next time I go see the doctor about that I'll ask him to take a look at my finger. Until then I'll take your advice and lay off it for a while.

Last edited by Maxmomer; 06-29-2007 at 05:12 AM.
Maxmomer is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013