Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 202
Default Re: BB workout for boxing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relentless
whats wrong with bicep curls huh??

they build the perfect core!
He failed to mention the bricks, you retard!
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 06-18-2007, 07:37 PM   #17
Kolya
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDJ
I sparred a heavyweight once and kicked his ass

So far for the internet talk. Actually that's not what happened. He held back a lot since I already knew he hit like a mule. He's a big guy, 230 pounds or something. Still every punch that landed on me felt like running into a brick wall. The punches that landed on my guard hurt as well. It wasn't funny. I quit after two rounds because I got a little dizzy.

My "gameplan" was rather stupid too. I wanted to work on my inside game. Not a smart idea, despite him holding back. It didn't really matter though, any gameplan would have failed.
I spar with a guy who's 5'11 and 215. It's great practice for dealing with guys who are even shorter and lighter than him and try to get inside, and when I actually don't **** around I tend to handle him fairly easily (the height advantage helps). It also helps he only has 1 fight so far, but he's strong as **** and he's landed some clean punches on my chin that have made me say "damn, why didn't I play baseball?"
Kolya is offline  Top
Old 06-18-2007, 07:37 PM   #18
Ingar
The Mean Machine
ESB Jr Member

The only exercises you need to become stronger, bigger and faster are the several variations of cleans, jerks and snatches supplemented by bench presses, deadlifts and squats.
Doing "bodybuilding"-type workouts won't do you much good in sports that have weight classes, neither is it optimal in power sports that do not have weight classes either.
Multi joint/phase movements such as the clean and jerk result in an tremendous increase in neuromuscular firing rate in terms of amount and speed as well as coordination.
Just make sure you learn how to do the movement first.
I suggest reading some books by E.J. Kreis if you wanna get strong, fast and jacked.

Last edited by Ingar; 06-18-2007 at 07:46 PM.
Ingar is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2007, 08:09 AM   #19
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolya
I spar with a guy who's 5'11 and 215. It's great practice for dealing with guys who are even shorter and lighter than him and try to get inside, and when I actually don't **** around I tend to handle him fairly easily (the height advantage helps). It also helps he only has 1 fight so far, but he's strong as **** and he's landed some clean punches on my chin that have made me say "damn, why didn't I play baseball?"
I'm 5'9 at 150. The guy is sparred is approximately 6'1 at 230. He's also much, much more experienced than me, he had many amateur bouts, it wouldn't even surprise me if he was a pro in the past. It's a fight I cannot win, to be honest. Outweighed by 80 pounds and outclassed by a mile.

It's still fun because he can teach me a lot, but damn that guy is strong. His height does not bother me I spar taller guys than him. His punches are simply frightening. He has fists the size of basketballs!

Last edited by RDJ; 06-19-2007 at 08:12 AM.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 06-19-2007, 09:59 AM   #20
MrSmall
Journeyman

RDJ, shockingly bicep curls are good for your ELBOWS.
And elbows have an effect in your punch.
So yeah, curls aren't all bad. Can do better, but help slightly!
MrSmall is offline  Top
Old 06-19-2007, 10:26 AM   #21
Relentless
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 1900

curls hurt my elbows.
Relentless is offline  Top
Old 06-19-2007, 10:28 AM   #22
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSmall
RDJ, shockingly bicep curls are good for your ELBOWS.
How are they good for your elbows?

Quote:
And elbows have an effect in your punch.
They do? More than all the other joints in your body? I think a warming up with rotating movements would have more effect on your joints than bicep curls.

Quote:
So yeah, curls aren't all bad. Can do better, but help slightly!
They're useless. Completely useless.

Last edited by RDJ; 06-19-2007 at 10:30 AM.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 06-19-2007, 10:53 AM   #23
Kolya
Belt holder
ESB Addict

In Mr. Small's defense, certain forms of arm curls stress the brachialis muscle, which is the muscle around the elbow that's responsible for it's contraction (I believe). There are certain versions of curls that stress that more than the bicep itself. Either way, all the weightlifting in the world won't make you a better boxer.
Kolya is offline  Top
Old 06-19-2007, 11:06 AM   #24
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolya
In Mr. Small's defense, certain forms of arm curls stress the brachialis muscle, which is the muscle around the elbow that's responsible for it's contraction (I believe). There are certain versions of curls that stress that more than the bicep itself. Either way, all the weightlifting in the world won't make you a better boxer.
I'd need to see some source that shows that muscle is so much more important (for punching) than all the other ones, that it deserves its own isolation exercise. And if it was that important in a punch... wouldn't it be stressed by bag work?
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 06-19-2007, 11:11 AM   #25
Kolya
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: Bodybuilding workout for boxing

You would imagine. I was always taught that back muscles, if any, have an effect on your power. That and possibly leg strength. I think it really just boils down to natural genetics and technique. Even when I was younger, at like age 13 before I started lifting, I could hit fairly hard because I had the technique and I got a lot of leverage on my punches (I was 6'1 at 13).
Kolya is offline  Top
Old 06-19-2007, 11:42 AM   #26
Ingar
The Mean Machine
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDJ
They're useless. Completely useless.
Thats a pretty ignorant statement, I'll whip up one study to prove you wrong:

(1) Faculty for Physical Culture, Belgrade, Yugoslavia
(2) Institute for Medical Research, P.O. Box 721, YU-11001 Belgrade, Yugoslavia

Six subjects performed rapid self-terminated elbow movements under different mechanical conditions prior to, and 5 weeks after an elbow extensor strengthening programme. Despite the large difference in the strengths of elbow flexors and extensors, the pretest did not demonstrate significant differences between the movement time of flexion and extension movements performed under the same mechanical conditions. The results obtained in the posttest demonstrated a decrease in movement time (i.e. an increase in movement speed) in both elbow flexion and extension movements under some mechanical conditions. In addition, flexion movements demonstrated a relative increase in the acceleration time (acceleration time as a proportion of the movement time). It was concluded that the strength of both the agonist and antagonist muscles was important for the performance of rapid movements.

Antagonists, i.e. muscles performing the opposite of a certain action on a certain limb, which means the bicep brachii is and antagonist of the triceps brachii, each play a huge role in both movements.

Then you also have the joint stability, if you're gonna increase strength and size in your triceps, you gotta do the same for the biceps to achieve optimal results as well as avoid injury.

Last edited by Ingar; 06-19-2007 at 11:44 AM.
Ingar is offline  Top
Old 06-19-2007, 11:49 AM   #27
Relentless
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

wont pull ups do the same thing?
Old 06-19-2007, 12:00 PM   #28
Ingar
The Mean Machine
ESB Jr Member

Well, depends on how you do pullups, depends on what you need to work with and how much you want involvement from other muscle groups (on pullups it is in short your back, how much depending on grip, wide, narrow, overhand or underhand).
Nothing but the same thing will do the same thing.
Ingar is offline  Top
Old 06-19-2007, 12:09 PM   #29
Nwil
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
originally posted by Ingar
agreed, but I'm not gonna do bicep curls. They have never helped me in any way and eventually just weigh down my arms. Chin ups are a similar motion, because the biceps contract, except they are a more functional exercise.

Last edited by Nwil; 06-19-2007 at 09:29 PM.
Nwil is offline  Top
Old 06-19-2007, 12:18 PM   #30
Relentless
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

functional?? what is functional? isn't any exercises you do functional??

and what the hell does this mean ingar?

Quote:

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing