Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2012, 03:47 PM   #61
Jonsey
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 5,589
vCash: 500
Default Re: Sky boxing - Quantity or quality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftaylor View Post
I agree with you, Gaz - BN is better value for money overall, even if it didn't live up to its promises. Certainly if you're a boxing fan it's a good choice. But Sky's realignment of its boxing programming is poor considering it does drive good ratings.
did it really drive good ratings? certainly the hatton & maloney cards were regularly not getting into the top 10.
Jonsey is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2012, 03:54 PM   #62
p.Townend
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Dewsbury
Posts: 3,211
vCash: 100
Default Re: Sky boxing - Quantity or quality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazOC View Post
I look at it the other way DF. I'm a boxing fan, I'm happy to pay 10 quid a month to follow the sport rather than 50 for a some boxing and a load of sports I don't follow.
I got sports half price for 6 months,had cancelled it for a while as boxnation seems much better value. I can't see me keeping sky on once the offer is up. Boxing is the only sport that makes me turn to sky sports. If I want to watch football I can go to the pub. I prefer to watch fights at home.
p.Townend is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 03:59 PM   #63
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: The Spion Kop
Posts: 30,799
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Sky boxing - Quantity or quality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.Townend View Post
I got sports half price for 6 months,had cancelled it for a while as boxnation seems much better value. I can't see me keeping sky on once the offer is up. Boxing is the only sport that makes me turn to sky sports. If I want to watch football I can go to the pub. I prefer to watch fights at home.
Thats exactly what I do. I stay in to watch fights but watch 95% of my football in the pub with friends.
GazOC is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:03 PM   #64
JFT96
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 2,322
vCash: 75
Default Re: Sky boxing - Quantity or quality?

Personally, I'm happy enough with not having a show a week on Sky if it means that the ones we are getting are of real good quality. To be honest, I didn't enjoy the majority of cards put on by Maloney which tended to be a decent main event and nothing else. The Price card at the Echo the other week was much more like it and showed he could have done it at Sky. I didn't think Hatton were too bad really, especially given that it was a young promotional company.

But if Hatton joins Maloney at Boxnation, it won't make me any more tempted to subscribe. The international coverage they have is impressive but honestly I'm not the type of person who gets excited about sitting up all night every Saturday to watch a US card. On the odd occasion it's great but I tend to go out on Saturdays or have things to do on a Sunday so the US stuff isn't really enough to tempt me alone. The domestic stuff looks in general poor from ****** recently from what I've seen plus it's drying up a bit too. But for people who just want to watch boxing alone, I can see the interest in the channel.

I'm more of a football fan than boxing plus I like a lot of other sports as well as the Sky Atlantic stuff so a lack of boxing coverage won't be enough for me to turn away from Sky. As long as the cards are stacked and have competitive matchups, I'm happy to wait every 2/3 weeks for one. I think Matchroom could do with a few more headliners if they could get them but they have a lot of good prospects which bodes well for the future. At the moment since they got the deal, I've been relatively impressed but I'm hoping they stay on the same track. The production is very good as well which although not that important, does play a part in the success of it.

A few more international cards would be ideal, even on tape delay if need be, but overall I'm not really unhappy that Sky's coverage has been cut back so long as the shows stay as consistently good as they are at the moment. Not a fan of Prizefighter though
JFT96 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:04 PM   #65
BoxingAnalyst
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: England
Posts: 9,569
vCash: 500
Default Re: Sky boxing - Quantity or quality?

I follow Golf, Football, Boxing... Tennis and Darts (occasionally), so it's well worth the money IMO.
BoxingAnalyst is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:08 PM   #66
BoxingAnalyst
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: England
Posts: 9,569
vCash: 500
Default Re: Sky boxing - Quantity or quality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFT96 View Post
Personally, I'm happy enough with not having a show a week on Sky if it means that the ones we are getting are of real good quality. To be honest, I didn't enjoy the majority of cards put on by Maloney which tended to be a decent main event and nothing else. The Price card at the Echo the other week was much more like it and showed he could have done it at Sky. I didn't think Hatton were too bad really, especially given that it was a young promotional company.

But if Hatton joins Maloney at Boxnation, it won't make me any more tempted to subscribe. The international coverage they have is impressive but honestly I'm not the type of person who gets excited about sitting up all night every Saturday to watch a US card. On the odd occasion it's great but I tend to go out on Saturdays or have things to do on a Sunday so the US stuff isn't really enough to tempt me alone. The domestic stuff looks in general poor from ****** recently from what I've seen plus it's drying up a bit too. But for people who just want to watch boxing alone, I can see the interest in the channel.

I'm more of a football fan than boxing plus I like a lot of other sports as well as the Sky Atlantic stuff so a lack of boxing coverage won't be enough for me to turn away from Sky. As long as the cards are stacked and have competitive matchups, I'm happy to wait every 2/3 weeks for one. I think Matchroom could do with a few more headliners if they could get them but they have a lot of good prospects which bodes well for the future. At the moment since they got the deal, I've been relatively impressed but I'm hoping they stay on the same track. The production is very good as well which although not that important, does play a part in the success of it.

A few more international cards would be ideal, even on tape delay if need be, but overall I'm not really unhappy that Sky's coverage has been cut back so long as the shows stay as consistently good as they are at the moment. Not a fan of Prizefighter though
Sky Atlantic is quality, best channel bar Sky Sports 1 IMO.

Game of Thrones is the best show on TV, then Boardwalk Empire, Sopranos is good too
BoxingAnalyst is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:12 PM   #67
p.Townend
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Dewsbury
Posts: 3,211
vCash: 100
Default Re: Sky boxing - Quantity or quality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazOC View Post
Thats exactly what I do. I stay in to watch fights but watch 95% of my football in the pub with friends.
I can't sit and watch a football match alone in the house,it just seems wrong and if nothing happens for a while I get distracted and just end up ignoring the game and doing something else. Usually means going on ESB. In the pub football is better,you can have bets between each other and stuff like that.
full price sky sports will be an expensive luxury. Can't see me being able to justify it when we do our monthly outgoings.
p.Townend is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:31 PM   #68
flatulent_bob
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 468
vCash: 498
Default Re: Sky boxing - Quantity or quality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxingAnalyst View Post
Sky Atlantic is quality, best channel bar Sky Sports 1 IMO.

Game of Thrones is the best show on TV, then Boardwalk Empire, Sopranos is good too
The Newsroom, Treme and The Wire are on a par with Boardwalk and GoT.
Plus the likes of Nurse Betty, Borgias, Friday Night Lights, Hit and Miss, Mad Men, In Treatment, Girls, six feet under, no wonder I need the 2TB box.
flatulent_bob is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 04:49 PM   #69
Jonsey
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 5,589
vCash: 500
Default Re: Sky boxing - Quantity or quality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatulent_bob View Post
The Newsroom, Treme and The Wire are on a par with Boardwalk and GoT.
Plus the likes of Nurse Betty, Borgias, Friday Night Lights, Hit and Miss, Mad Men, In Treatment, Girls, six feet under, no wonder I need the 2TB box.
Friday Night Lights has got to be the biggest hidden gem in tv history. I saw all 5 seasons before Sky ever picked it up. You genuinley care about the characters. That along with the Wire & sopranos are the only show i wasnt bored off by the time they finished. Felt genuine grief at the en of each of them.

Saw the 1st season of Boardwalk but havent seen the 2nd. Might download it soon though.

None of them come close to my favourite show though.....Midsomer Murders. Love that shit.
Jonsey is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:24 PM   #70
BoxingAnalyst
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: England
Posts: 9,569
vCash: 500
Default Re: Sky boxing - Quantity or quality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatulent_bob View Post
The Newsroom, Treme and The Wire are on a par with Boardwalk and GoT.
Plus the likes of Nurse Betty, Borgias, Friday Night Lights, Hit and Miss, Mad Men, In Treatment, Girls, six feet under, no wonder I need the 2TB box.
Game Of Thrones is boss! I've watched the Wire but not the rest.
BoxingAnalyst is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:31 PM   #71
flatulent_bob
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 468
vCash: 498
Default Re: Sky boxing - Quantity or quality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxingAnalyst View Post
Game Of Thrones is boss! I've watched the Wire but not the rest.
The quality of GoT drops off in season two dramatically IMHO.
flatulent_bob is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:36 PM   #72
Anaboilc lion
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: LONDON
Posts: 1,629
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Sky boxing - Quantity or quality?

game of thrones and the walking dead !!!!!!
Anaboilc lion is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:43 PM   #73
flatulent_bob
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 468
vCash: 498
Default Re: Sky boxing - Quantity or quality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaboilc lion View Post
game of thrones and the walking dead !!!!!!
Isn't walking dead FX? Another one that was amazing for a season then they cut the budget replaced Darabont and then went off shark jumping.
flatulent_bob is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:45 PM   #74
BoxingAnalyst
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: England
Posts: 9,569
vCash: 500
Default Re: Sky boxing - Quantity or quality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatulent_bob View Post
Isn't walking dead FX? Another one that was amazing for a season then they cut the budget replaced Darabont and then went off shark jumping.
The new season has been class so far, well the first 3 episodes!
BoxingAnalyst is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 05:57 PM   #75
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,404
vCash: 500
Default Re: Sky boxing - Quantity or quality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxingAnalyst View Post
Game Of Thrones is boss! I've watched the Wire but not the rest.
The Wire is the best of the bunch, IMO. But I think Breaking Bad has topped it overall.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013