Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 10-29-2012, 03:42 PM   #1
Pale Destroyer
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Sick to my back stomach

This isn't exactly a new topic but I wanted to vent some anger.

I am a Sky subscriber and cannot believe the lack of cards being shown at the moment I am a cunt's hair away from cancelling my subscription. how the **** can they justify not having any live action for 2 or sometimes 3 weeks at a time. I have been a subscriber to sky for some time now and the schedule has never been this thin, where has all the domestic and international action gone.

Despite this they still have Ringside on EVERY single week wether there is live action that coming weekend or not. Now in my opinion Ringside is an ok show but its a supplementary programme, in the respect that it should supplement Sky's boxing output by reviewing the previous weeks fights and previewing the coming weeks fight, basically build up and reaction.

But whats the point in having a supplementary magazine style programme when there is no ****ing boxing for it to supplement! If sky has budget issues then I would rather have a card (any card really) and no ringside for the week.

I mean how the **** can they justify refusing to shell out for any domestic or international boxing but Adam Smith can find the money to send himself and his chum (and a whole camera and sound crew) out to Miami to speak to David Haye, or Johnny to the Philippines to speak to Amir Kahn or both of them to spain (or somewhere hot, can't remember where) to chat to Tennis player and new found friend of the pair Andy Murray.

Its the arrogance of the whole thing thats really got to me, its like they think they are that incredible at broadcasting that we the fans would rather watch them buffing there own bell ends on Ringside every week or 8 or 9 commentators and pundits covering one show than the sport we love on a regular basis.

Imagine the uproar if Sky started doing this with their football coverage. I would think almost every fan of every sport in the world would agree that actually watching their sport is far more important to them than watching pundits talk about it.

Now whats that boxnation number?
Pale Destroyer is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2012, 03:58 PM   #2
jimmycee

Default Re: Sick to my back stomach

i fully agree with you, its shit. i read an article saying that matchroom have sole rights to the boxing cards on sky (in the new deal sorted last month). but the total number of shows has been cut to 17 for the next 12 months, with no doubt 6/7 of these being prizefighter shows. if you want to see good domestic shows and international fights you need to go boxnation.
jimmycee is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2012, 04:01 PM   #3
p.Townend
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 100

It is very poor at the minute. I'm on a half price offer at the min else I would also be giving thought to cancelling it. Ring sky and complain,do it nicely and say you don't think its good value at the moment and can you have a discount. You have nothing to lose and it has worked for me more than once. Hasn't worked a few times as well but as I said you got nothing to lose.
p.Townend is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2012, 04:08 PM   #4
Bill C84
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 81

I got rid of Sky Sports a while back, don't miss it at all, they are content with Prizefighter, for that they can get ****ed.
Bill C84 is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2012, 04:09 PM   #5
Pale Destroyer
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmycee View Post
i fully agree with you, its shit. i read an article saying that matchroom have sole rights to the boxing cards on sky (in the new deal sorted last month). but the total number of shows has been cut to 17 for the next 12 months, with no doubt 6/7 of these being prizefighter shows. if you want to see good domestic shows and international fights you need to go boxnation.

I know mate, I shouldn't have to though when I got sky sports it was for the boxing and the football now they are only really delivering one of those so now its a case of can I afford both or choose between the two sports I love, should never have come to this as Sky Sports seem to still be committed to putting money into boxing its just being badly mismanaged by Adam Smith and his Job's for the boys gang.

I Agree too that the Matchroom cards are good but not exactly good enough to justify turning there back on the rest of the sport, I don't bother with prize fighter (well thats a lie, I watch it and moan, its shite) and Kell Brook Vs Beatable opponent is getting old fast.

Last edited by Pale Destroyer; 10-29-2012 at 04:25 PM.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:11 PM   #6
The Chosen
Bada Bing! Bada Boom!
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

They don't care about boxing. It's far down the list of their in demand sports. That's why despite Setanta's strong boxing line up and affordable monthly fee, they still couldn't subsidise their losses on boxing alone, they needed people to commit for their footie coverage, people didn't want to subscribe to a further sports channel and it went down the shitter. Sky could easily run a much better boxing line up, but if its not making them money then they aren't gonna put the shows on.

The fact they haven't bided for the rights to Ricky Hatton's comeback pretty much shows how little a future the sport has on the channel. He was their golden boy and his return could have been marketed massively, but they just don't want to know.
The Chosen is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2012, 04:11 PM   #7
Pale Destroyer
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by p.Townend View Post
It is very poor at the minute. I'm on a half price offer at the min else I would also be giving thought to cancelling it. Ring sky and complain,do it nicely and say you don't think its good value at the moment and can you have a discount. You have nothing to lose and it has worked for me more than once. Hasn't worked a few times as well but as I said you got nothing to lose.
cheers mate will give it ago tomorrow.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:13 PM   #8
The Chosen
Bada Bing! Bada Boom!
ESB Senior Member

Delete
The Chosen is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2012, 04:14 PM   #9
bam bam
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chosen View Post

The fact they haven't bided for the rights to Ricky Hatton's comeback pretty much shows how little a future the sport has on the channel. He was their golden boy and his return could have been marketed massively, but they just don't want to know.
I think Ricky having to let Eddie Hearn in on co-promoting probably had something to do with Ricky not going back to Sky.
bam bam is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2012, 04:15 PM   #10
Pale Destroyer
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chosen View Post
They don't care about boxing. It's far down the list of their in demand sports. That's why despite Setanta's strong boxing line up and affordable monthly fee, they still couldn't subsidise their losses on boxing alone, they needed people to commit for their footie coverage, people didn't wannabe and it went down the shitter Sky could easily run a much better boxing line up, but if its not making them money then they aren't gonna put the shows on.

Your right the money and commitment has obviously gone down but they are spunking there budget away on ringside I reckon it would be about 5 times cheaper to put on a Spencer Fearon hard knocks card with 2 commentators than a ringside every week. totally lost touch.
Old 10-29-2012, 04:17 PM   #11
Michael300
Fighting back.....
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Destroyer View Post
This isn't exactly a new topic but I wanted to vent some anger.

I am a Sky subscriber and cannot believe the lack of cards being shown at the moment I am a cunt's hair away from cancelling my subscription. how the **** can they justify not having any live action for 2 or sometimes 3 weeks at a time. I have been a subscriber to sky for some time now and the schedule has never been this thin, where has all the domestic and international action gone.

Despite this they still have Ringside on EVERY single week wether there is live action that coming weekend or not. Now in my opinion Ringside is an ok show but its a supplementary programme, in the respect that it should supplement Sky's boxing output by reviewing the previous weeks fights and previewing the coming weeks fight, basically build up and reaction.

But whats the point in having a supplementary magazine style programme when there is no ****ing boxing for it to supplement! If sky has budget issues then I would rather have a card (any card really) and no ringside for the week.

I mean how the **** can they justify refusing to shell out for any domestic or international boxing but Adam Smith can find the money to send himself and his chum (and a whole camera and sound crew) out to Miami to speak to David Haye, or Johnny to the Philippines to speak to Amir Kahn or both of them to spain (or somewhere hot, can't remember where) to chat to Tennis player and new found friend of the pair Andy Murray.

Its the arrogance of the whole thing thats really got to me, its like they think they are that incredible at broadcasting that we the fans would rather watch them buffing there own bell ends on Ringside every week or 8 or 9 commentators and pundits covering one show than the sport we love on a regular basis.

Imagine the uproar if Sky started doing this with their football coverage. I would think almost every fan of every sport in the world would agree that actually watching their sport is far more important to them than watching pundits talk about it.

Now whats that boxnation number?
This.

I absolutely 100% agree with you.

Sometimes when you criticise Sky on here people jump to the conclusion you work for Boxnation and then bang on about how its not perfect itself.

That is missing the point.

Ignore the other channels, this is about Sky.

They are letting the boxing fans down pure and simple.

Yes the shows are superbly produced and I must admit that the Matchroom shows are generally very good, but it seems like its the same twenty or so fighters jsut being shown.

I'm so disappointed with the way they are going.

I pay full price, and have been with Sky since the very start, over twenty years, and am like you very close to cancelling.

The argument that some give, "if you don't like it leave", is purile and completely misses the point.

I really hope they change their current policy.
Michael300 is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2012, 04:36 PM   #12
Anaboilc lion
Belt holder
ESB Addict

got sky sports only for football, boxing , when it comes is a bonus

hopefully when bt start showing prem matches prices will come down
Anaboilc lion is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2012, 04:36 PM   #13
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bam bam View Post
I think Ricky having to let Eddie Hearn in on co-promoting probably had something to do with Ricky not going back to Sky.
And some people don't think it's a cartel...

If I was Ricky, who's bigger than anyone Eddie will likely ever promote, I wouldn't waste time with Sky or Hearn.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2012, 04:40 PM   #14
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

Theres barely anything on now. It's disgusting but all resting on Matchroom. Not the end of the world if Matchroom make their cards 4 or 5 fights deep. I rely on BoxNation now for my fight fix.

If it wasn't for the footie, Sky would've lost me.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2012, 04:42 PM   #15
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anaboilc lion View Post
got sky sports only for football, boxing , when it comes is a bonus

hopefully when bt start showing prem matches prices will come down
Never known that to be Sky's MO. They'll be hoping for the same wholesale deals they were forced to offer to Virgin, BT and Freeview a few years back.
dftaylor is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum