Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 11-01-2012, 11:49 AM   #16
Senor Pepe'
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: What if Frazier and Ali fought in the 60s?

Yank Durham said Joe Frazier would be ready for Cassius Clay in two-years.

Yank said, Joe was still learning, right after Joe 'chopped up' George Chuvalo on July 19, 1967.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Last edited by Senor Pepe'; 11-01-2012 at 12:04 PM.
Senor Pepe' is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-2012, 12:31 PM   #17
yancey
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhan69 View Post
i love Frazier and believe prime/prime he wins! But in 67 I am not sure he was seasoned enough....He had a few solid wins like Bonavena, Machen, Jones & Chuvalo...but not quite ready for prime time.
Agree 100% with this post.
yancey is offline  Top
Old 11-01-2012, 12:33 PM   #18
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senor Pepe' View Post

Yank Durham said Joe Frazier would be ready for Cassius Clay in two-years.

Yank said, Joe was still learning, right after Joe 'chopped up' George Chuvalo on July 19, 1967.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
I hate to nit pick pepe...But do you have a source for this information????
PhillyPhan69 is offline  Top
Old 11-02-2012, 08:19 AM   #19
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
i love Frazier and believe prime/prime he wins! But in 67 I am not sure he was seasoned enough....He had a few solid wins like Bonavena, Machen, Jones & Chuvalo...but not quite ready for prime time.

If Ali had n't have been exiled,the earliest Frazier would have been competitive would have been 1968 or '69.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 11-02-2012, 08:39 AM   #20
PhillyPhan69
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevie G View Post
If Ali had n't have been exiled,the earliest Frazier would have been competitive would have been 1968 or '69.
Oh he wouldn't have been just competitive...he woulda whooped em' again!
PhillyPhan69 is offline  Top
Old 11-02-2012, 12:29 PM   #21
round15
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. magoo View Post
I like muhammad Ali to take this by a comfortable decision. Ali was still developing rapidly in the late 60's, and had his momentum not been dissrupted by the lengthy exhile, his skills would have been in perfect tact. With both Ali and Frazier burning the candle at both ends by eating up all the available contenders, its likely that they would have been forced together around 1968. At this point we'd be looking at a peak Ali and a somewhat less experienced Frazier.
I can agree with you somewhat Mr. Magoo.

I think Joe has a harder time with the Ali of 67 but at the same time we're talking about the Joe who didn't bust his ankle singing with this group and the cataracts weren't as pronounced as they'd become after FOTC.

Joe moved better in the late 60's, stayed low and worked the body better. I still think Joe catches up with the same Ali who fought Folley and Williams but Ali chances of winning are greater.
round15 is offline  Top
Old 11-02-2012, 12:44 PM   #22
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Location: Phoenix Marie`s ass, Fritzl Residence, Glasgow, Scotland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VG_Addict View Post
What if Frazier and Ali had their first fight in the mid to late 60s? This, of course, assumes Ali was never exiled.
Clear UD to Muhammad Ali, very hard & competitive fight but he just outlands Joe 3 to 1 anytime there is any distance between them & Joe doesn`t cut him off & corner him anywhere near as much as he did the slower footed, less stamina version of 1971... hell Joe had trouble cornering the 74 version for 12 rounds once Ali had shaken off the ring rust, the 60s version was far superior when employing that strategy.

Ali W15 UD Frazier
Bill Butcher is offline  Top
Old 11-02-2012, 12:49 PM   #23
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Ali probably wins a close decision, maybe giving a rematch, where he wins wider. There's the possibility Frazier walks through fire again to pull off a FOTC win for Ali to adapt to win the ud
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 11-02-2012, 12:53 PM   #24
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Location: Phoenix Marie`s ass, Fritzl Residence, Glasgow, Scotland.

Quote:
Frazier was much better in 68-69 than he was in 71....So an even wider margin of victory can be excpected!
Much better ?... sure he was... & Ali was much better in 71 than he was in the 60s too, right ?
Bill Butcher is offline  Top
Old 11-03-2012, 06:50 AM   #25
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Butcher View Post
Much better ?... sure he was... & Ali was much better in 71 than he was in the 60s too, right ?

Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 11-03-2012, 06:51 AM   #26
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

Frazier and Norton would still have been the 1967 Ali's toughest opponents had he met prime versions around that time.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 10-26-2013, 12:27 PM   #27
Titan1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Ali wins 10 out of 15 rounds for a unanimoud decision, but Frazier would be more than a live underdog.
Titan1 is offline  Top
Old 10-26-2013, 12:50 PM   #28
HOUDINI
Belt holder
ESB Addict

If you look at fight one what turned the fight to Fraziers favor was Ali not having the legs to continue outboxing Joe. Instead he stayed on the ropes and gave rounds away culminating in that huge hook in round 11 and the hook that put him down in round 15. This was IMO prime Frazier...he never was so pumped for a fight...extremely motivated and he was in top condition at 26 years of age. Ali although still not yet 30 was 6 months shy from a 4 year layoff. He was obviously not the fighter he was prior to that layoff. This cannot be dsputed.

My feeling is a fight with Ali in say 68 or 69 Frazier would be in the ring with an Ali we never saw...prime Ali at his absolute best. Ali would be boxing at high speed for 15 rounds...moving all that time. Frazier with that hook would def have his moments but he would miss many more shots than in fight one.

Ali wins the first 5-6 rounds...Joe comes on and it's back and forth the next 5-6...however Ali closes well with all the punches Frazier had received doing there damage. Ali by U decision....9-6 in rounds.
HOUDINI is offline  Top
Old 10-26-2013, 01:55 PM   #29
choklab
Champion
East Side Guru

Too much is made of Ali hitting an "even higher peak" had he been active in 1968 and 1969. Muhammad fought only once in 1964, twice in 1965, five times in 1966 and twice in 1967 the final year before his exile. Without his political problems Ali possibly would have only fought 2 times in 1966 a year that built him up into a peak because he was so active. If anything he peaked then. With a two fight year his peak would have been delayed some, perhaps he could have had less of an easy time against Terrell? After all muhammads preparation for the Terrell showdown could not have been better, still razor sharp off a 6 title fights 12 month schedule compared with Ernnies one fight in 13 months.

I believe Frazier would have been due a shot about 1968 at the latest and by then Frazier still represented a stronger test than any of Ali's previous challengers. ALI was so commanding against Folley that he almost appeard lackadaisical, happy to give rounds away in order for zora to expose himself later on. Frazier would have taken advantage of an ALi in that mood. The Ali he did fight in 71 started quite fast, faster than he had against any earlier chalengers, and yet Joe still had what it took to overcome Ali at full flight. Remember the 15 rounds with bonnavena was excelent prep for Ali to shake off rust.

I think Frazier was good enough to take Ali in 1968. He was always good enough to take one of a 3 fight serries off Ali no matter when they fought.
choklab is offline  Top
Old 10-26-2013, 02:05 PM   #30
Anubis
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Joe wouldn't have been ready to challenge him until 1969. Chuvalo's made it pretty clear how much exile took away from Ali's athleticism [supported by Patterson's concurring opinion].

For me, the irony of Manila is that Muhammad stopped Joe precisely because he WAS past his best, needing to punch it out because the legs weren't there anymore.

In 1969, Ali sticks, runs and clinches his way to a decision which is hectic for him and frustrating for Joe. However, this is easily the most competitive defense Ali's had, and Frazier becomes the first [and possibly only] challenger to earn a second World Title challenge of Ali. It's entirely possible that Ali-Frazier II in 1970 or 1971 would be the more anticipated event, and I don't see Ali-Frazier I in 1969 physically depleting Smoke as the FOTC did.
Anubis is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum