Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 11-05-2012, 11:46 PM   #1
uranage
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Did you guys know that Vivian Harris retired? Was he a GOAT

Here is Harris statement, he retired on October -

“I would like to thank God and Jesus Christ for a great boxing career that I achieved the world title and defended it four times. After my fight last night I realize that I do not have the desire and hunger anymore because I am no longer performing in the ring to the best of my abilities that I have been blessed with. I wanna thank my family and friends that stayed with throughout my career and still believe in me and support me in my decision. I wanna thank everybody in the boxing world that have gave me the opportunities to become champion of the world and to have some greats fights that my fans will remember about me. I will be helping the next generation of boxers that have the desire to be the next champions of the world. God bless all of you and cheers as they say in England.”

Vivian Harris, the boxing equivalent of a two year old pint of milk….way past its sell by date. Never the same since Junior Witter beat the **** out of him.
_______
uranage is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2012, 11:47 PM   #2
HoldMyBeer
Champion
East Side Guru

Default Re: Did you guys know that Vivian Harris retired? Was he a GOAT

i hear he was good at checkers
HoldMyBeer is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2012, 11:48 PM   #3
pound
Coqui Radar
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranage View Post
Here is Harris statement, he retired on October -

“I would like to thank God and Jesus Christ for a great boxing career that I achieved the world title and defended it four times. After my fight last night I realize that I do not have the desire and hunger anymore because I am no longer performing in the ring to the best of my abilities that I have been blessed with. I wanna thank my family and friends that stayed with throughout my career and still believe in me and support me in my decision. I wanna thank everybody in the boxing world that have gave me the opportunities to become champion of the world and to have some greats fights that my fans will remember about me. I will be helping the next generation of boxers that have the desire to be the next champions of the world. God bless all of you and cheers as they say in England.”

Vivian Harris, the boxing equivalent of a two year old pint of milk….way past its sell by date. Never the same since Junior Witter beat the **** out of him.
_______

Junior Witter???? You mean Carlos Maussa? LOL?

On a serious note I hope he enjoys his retirement. I love it when boxers retire. Knowing how brutal and life destroying the sport IS for ALL boxers involved.
pound is offline  Top
Sponsored Links

Old 11-06-2012, 12:41 AM   #4
wutang
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by pound View Post
Junior Witter???? You mean Carlos Maussa? LOL?

On a serious note I hope he enjoys his retirement. I love it when boxers retire. Knowing how brutal and life destroying the sport IS for ALL boxers involved.
he got knocked out by witter too

vivian harris seemed like he was going to make some noise after his two wins over otkay urkal. he seemed to have some solid fundamentals, and if i'm not mistaken called floyd out and claimed he was a bum. then he proceeded to get ktfo on the mayweather gatti undercard against maussa (who did nothing of significance afterwards) and never looked the same. i'm glad he retired because getting knocked out was becoming a habit of his. and some of his stoppage loses were concerning. between 2005 and 2012 he lost by knockout six times. he's lucky he still has his health and didn't up badly brain damaged or dead.
wutang is offline  Top
Old 11-06-2012, 01:17 AM   #5
the commentator
Belt holder
ESB Addict

had a lot of tools that he unfortunately failed to utilize. one of the few fighters the great manny steward failed to bring towards newer heights...
the commentator is offline  Top
Old 11-06-2012, 01:20 AM   #6
HoldMyBeer
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by the commentator View Post
had a lot of tools that he unfortunately failed to utilize. one of the few fighters the great manny steward failed to bring towards newer heights...
..which for the massa fight i think steward has to take a large slice of responsibility
Old 11-06-2012, 01:35 AM   #7
Saltzy
Bam-O
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoldMyBeer View Post
..which for the massa fight i think steward has to take a large slice of responsibility
Vivian made the mistake of burning all of his energy trting to make a statement by knocking out a guy who was too stupid to go down
Wasted all of his stamina early then got knocked out
Saltzy is offline  Top
Old 11-06-2012, 01:39 AM   #8
HoldMyBeer
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltzy View Post
Vivian made the mistake of burning all of his energy trting to make a statement by knocking out a guy who was too stupid to go down
Wasted all of his stamina early then got knocked out
not that much he didnt
he looked in shape alright, but something was badly out of synch with his conditioning that night

i aint making excuses for harris, he was never as good as he was touted to be, but he was way too lethargic
Old 11-06-2012, 01:47 AM   #9
tliang1000
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 82771

I hate to be mean to the guy, but Glass chin and glass heart.
tliang1000 is offline  Top
Old 11-06-2012, 01:51 AM   #10
wutang
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tliang1000 View Post
I hate to be mean to the guy, but Glass chin and glass heart.
agreed. especially during the latter portion of his career. it started to get really sad.
wutang is offline  Top
Old 11-06-2012, 04:11 AM   #11
Boom_Boom
R.I.P Boxing 6/9/12
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoldMyBeer View Post

Did you even see that fight? Steward was yelling at Harris all night the correct stragedy but Harris took it as an insult that he couldnt trade with the guy blow for blow and did the very opposite of what Steward was telling him.

If Steward was at any fault it was for choosing to waste his time on an insecured psycho.
Boom_Boom is offline  Top
Old 11-06-2012, 04:13 AM   #12
HoldMyBeer
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom_Boom View Post
Did you even see that fight? Steward was yelling at Harris all night the correct stragedy but Harris took it as an insult that he couldnt trade with the guy blow for blow and did the very opposite of what Steward was telling him.

If Steward was at any fault it was for choosing to waste his time on an insecured psycho.
like i said in a later post, its his conditioning which was off
harris made poor choices in the ring all on his own

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum