Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 10-31-2012, 10:48 PM   #1
80s champs
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default Hearns right on Hagler instead of Duran

We all knew what happened in the Hagler Hearns showdown.Tommy was able to sting Hagler in the opening first while pretty much backing up,but it was temporary.because Hagler had an awesome game plan by pretty much rushing the hit man. How would Hagler's chin have held up if he was caught flush on the chin like Duran was by an agressive Hearns.(Hagler again never gave Hearns the chance to really load up,Hearns Hand was gone in the first round) Hagler's Chin was amazing.That Right by Hearns on Duran though sure looked like a missle in which no one would survive.
80s champs is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2012, 11:22 PM   #2
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010
Default Re: Hearns right on Hagler instead of Duran

The reason Duran was hit with such a clean right was because he was wobbling and moving back to the ropes and Tommy jabbed him to the body and that made Duran drop his left so Hearns landed a punch with all his force. Duran didn't know where he was at that point. But if Duran was not wobbling I doubt Tommy could have landed that sort of punch on Duran with that force. Tommy had been hitting and hurting Duran since the mid point of round one.

With Hagler? I still do think that if Tommy would not have broken his right hand he might have stopped Hagler because Hearns first big right wobbled Hagler and Tommy would have kept throwing them. Tommy should have tied up Marvin and tried to slow the fight down a little and get a well leverage right in. I think he could have dropped Hagler at least and slowed him down and then he could have used his jab to pick Marvin apart with the jab and swell him up and cut him and get a TKO on cuts. By the time the fight slowed in round 2, Tommy was tired and had the broken hand. Had Tommy in round 2 not had a broken hand Hagler would have really had his chin tested. But even regardless of that, Hagler had such a great chin.. Just the fact Hearns broke his hand on Hagler's head when he rarely broke it on anyone else's head except the injury against Benitez, it still shows how strong Marvin's neck muscles were to absorb it and make Tommy's hand fracture.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 10-31-2012, 11:24 PM   #3
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

I believe it was a right hand from Hearns that cut Haglar wide open, maybe not as sharp as the one he hit Duran with but still a pretty brutal shot!
TheSouthpaw is offline  Top
Old 10-31-2012, 11:35 PM   #4
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSouthpaw View Post
I believe it was a right hand from Hearns that cut Haglar wide open, maybe not as sharp as the one he hit Duran with but still a pretty brutal shot!
The cut was caused by Hearns mouthpiece at 1:20-1:19 left in round one. I think I am the only person who actually identified how the cut came. And on this I am correct just from the timing and what else at that point would do it.

One day many years ago I told myself, I am going to find out where that cut happened, since I was always curious.. so I watched the tape just for that reason, and I identified it on the first showing. It was easy. Hearns is throwing a right to Hagler's body and Hagler is throwing a right to Hearns body at the same time. Hearns is tired and breathing out of his mouth like he did when he was tired with his mouthpiece out a little, and when they throw the rights at the same time they come in close and both guys move in the opposite directions of each other making the mouthpiece sliding against Marvin's forehead rub with a lot of force. Two guys at the same time throwing the rights to the body.

Check it out sometime. 1:20-1:19 left in the round. Al Michaels is saying "another good right by Hearns" near that moment. Actually it happens right when Michaels say's "another". Now watch soon after the exchange Al Michaels says "Hagler is cut" maybe 5 seconds after. It is clear to me what happened.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 11-01-2012, 12:10 AM   #5
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Ive seen that find many times..its a punch that cuts Haglar....how the hell do you get cut by a mouth piece????..unless Hearns had razors in his mouth instead of a mouthpiece....thats just crazy...
TheSouthpaw is offline  Top
Old 11-01-2012, 12:19 AM   #6
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Ive seen that find many times..its a punch that cuts Haglar....how the hell do you get cut by a mouth piece????..unless Hearns had razors in his mouth instead of a mouthpiece....thats just crazy...
it was the mouthpiece. I saw that round over and over and I identified it. I actually found it on the first try, but no one will believe it was a mouthpiece. Hagler once said maybe it was Hearns cup when he was bobbing and weaving

Anyway,. By that point with 1:20 left in the round, Hearns hand was broken and that would not have caused the cut. And the cut was not previous to that since there was no blood before that. The mouthpiece is plastic and on the edges it could cut sort of like a paper cut. No one would think paper could cut, but if the mouthpiece is rubbing on a forehead and has pressure of two guys punching, it would heat up with friction and cut into the skin. And if my scenario is correct, I would think that Hearns mouth would then reach right at where Hagler was cut.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 11-01-2012, 12:30 AM   #7
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

I would suggest people go watch round one. 1:20 left in round one is when it happens. It is a fluke, but most cuts are. In a wild fight like that both guys are so intense into the fight elbows and anything is dangerous.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 11-01-2012, 01:04 AM   #8
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
unless Hearns had razors in his mouth instead of a mouthpiece....thats just crazy...
Hands of Iron is offline  Top
Old 11-01-2012, 01:05 AM   #9
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Huh...Whaddya know...I can actually see that. Not the mouthpiece, their heads come together a few times, though.

It makes sense. Cuts like that are so rarely caused by punches.

Cuts are in fact, rarely caused by punches period. Elbows and heads banging around account for most of them.

And I don't think Hagler was all that hurt. I've watched that fight more than I have any other, and while I see Hearns get Hagler's respect and stand him up, I never see Marvin in any trouble.

I see what your seeing. Pretty clearly not the right hand I thought cut him, at any rate.
MagnaNasakki is offline  Top
Old 11-01-2012, 01:29 AM   #10
Son of Gaul
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 248

Quote:
You gotta be prepared for everything in the ring. You just never know lol...
Son of Gaul is offline  Top
Old 11-01-2012, 01:31 AM   #11
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnaNasakki View Post
Huh...Whaddya know...I can actually see that. Not the mouthpiece, their heads come together a few times, though.

Cuts are in fact, rarely caused by punches period. Elbows and heads banging around account for most of them.

And I don't think Hagler was all that hurt. I've watched that fight more than I have any other, and while I see Hearns get Hagler's respect and stand him up, I never see Marvin in any trouble.

I see what your seeing. Pretty clearly not the right hand I thought cut him, at any rate.
It was always clear to me after studying it that at that point was when the cut happened. And Hearns has his mouthpiece stuck out because he was breathing out of his mouth. He did that when he got tired always. Totally inadvertent. I actually went back from the point Michaels said "Hagler is cut Hagler is cut" and it was right before that as you probably saw. That is cool how you checked it out.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 11-01-2012, 01:33 AM   #12
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnaNasakki View Post

I think Hagler initially was hurt early on and then Hearns couldn't punch him with this full leveraged punch anymore and Marvin sort of got hit but took it and walked forward. Very intense fight. Richard Steele once said he could not repeat the words they were saying to each other in the fight. Which is surprising how they found time to insult each other in a round like that.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 11-01-2012, 01:35 AM   #13
Bollox
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Son of Gaul View Post
You gotta be prepared for everything in the ring. You just never know lol...
If Lewis can have shards of glass embedded in his glove and a horsheshoe in his glove then....
Bollox is offline  Top
Old 11-01-2012, 02:51 AM   #14
FloydFan1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAG1965 View Post
The cut was caused by Hearns mouthpiece at 1:20-1:19 left in round one. I think I am the only person who actually identified how the cut came. And on this I am correct just from the timing and what else at that point would do it.

One day many years ago I told myself, I am going to find out where that cut happened, since I was always curious.. so I watched the tape just for that reason, and I identified it on the first showing. It was easy. Hearns is throwing a right to Hagler's body and Hagler is throwing a right to Hearns body at the same time. Hearns is tired and breathing out of his mouth like he did when he was tired with his mouthpiece out a little, and when they throw the rights at the same time they come in close and both guys move in the opposite directions of each other making the mouthpiece sliding against Marvin's forehead rub with a lot of force. Two guys at the same time throwing the rights to the body.

Check it out sometime. 1:20-1:19 left in the round. Al Michaels is saying "another good right by Hearns" near that moment. Actually it happens right when Michaels say's "another". Now watch soon after the exchange Al Michaels says "Hagler is cut" maybe 5 seconds after. It is clear to me what happened.
I was going to say bs about this and then I saw Hagler-Hearns and the time you said. You might have found the point of the cut!!! Wow Thought you were just another talker. This is right on! But a mouthpiece? Wouldn't that happen all the time???
FloydFan1988 is offline  Top
Old 11-01-2012, 03:03 AM   #15
yancey
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 80s champs View Post
We all knew what happened in the Hagler Hearns showdown.Tommy was able to sting Hagler in the opening first while pretty much backing up,but it was temporary.because Hagler had an awesome game plan by pretty much rushing the hit man. How would Hagler's chin have held up if he was caught flush on the chin like Duran was by an agressive Hearns.(Hagler again never gave Hearns the chance to really load up,Hearns Hand was gone in the first round) Hagler's Chin was amazing.That Right by Hearns on Duran though sure looked like a missle in which no one would survive.

Getting back to your topic, if an undamaged Hearns had hit Hagler with the same exact shot in the same flush way, then I'm guessing Hagler gets counted out.

It was one hell of a shot.
yancey is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum