Draw 0 0%
I hate this thread and I'm here to trash both fighters. 1 10.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-15-2013, 02:38 AM   #1
CrashStitches
Journeyman

vCash: 500
Default Primo vs Willard?

Both are easy targets as champions, but if they fought in respective primes under modern rules? Primo seemed to have decent movement and feet for such a big guy, and showed an ability to counter. Both men obviously are not bullies at heart, as they both showed lots of will and spirit in the face of vicious beatings. Willard was never in the Dempsey fight, but never stopped getting up. Primo got absolutely wrecked by Baer in the first round, and still came back and got back in the fight. Tough bastards.

Who you got?

Also, feel free to offer up thoughts on other Primo fantasy fights, such as Tex Cobb, Jersey Joe, Ingo, or whoever. Cheers!
CrashStitches is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2013, 01:18 PM   #2
CrashStitches
Journeyman

Default Re: Primo vs Willard?

Wow, nothing? Shame.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:32 PM   #3
mattdonnellon
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Ingo gets Primo out of there, hard. Walcott too cute, outboxes him and sets traps...Cobb, I think Primo wins that one.
mattdonnellon is online now  Top
Old 08-15-2013, 04:22 PM   #4
CrashStitches
Journeyman

Do you think Primo beats Willard?
Old 08-15-2013, 04:30 PM   #5
kmac
On permanent vacation
ESB Addict

vCash: 683

willard was absolutely terrible. all respect to him for outlasting johnson for the title but prime for prime, i'm not sure i'd pick him over anyone who's ever held a heavyweight belt.
kmac is offline  Top
Old 08-15-2013, 05:48 PM   #6
choklab
Champion
East Side Guru

I am not sure either were that bad, its just that classic sized heavyweight athletes who combined youth with veteran like experience tended to make them look like they were.

Willard against Moran and floyd johnson looked pretty good. He staved them off, worked his range and found room to pull the trigger. low hands.. He was not unlike vitali!!

Primo had faster hands but really couldnt put enough steam behind much if he wanted to land so he made do with his shoe shining and mauling. Bottom line was it was fast fighters making him look awkward.

Against men of simular size to each other i am sure they would look more conventional and better today. I think Willard could have been better but that Carnera was more experienced. I take Primo. On points.
choklab is offline  Top
Old 08-15-2013, 06:29 PM   #7
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by choklab View Post
I am not sure either were that bad, its just that classic sized heavyweight athletes who combined youth with veteran like experience tended to make them look like they were.

Willard against Moran and floyd johnson looked pretty good. He staved them off, worked his range and found room to pull the trigger. low hands.. He was not unlike vitali!!

Primo had faster hands but really couldnt put enough steam behind much if he wanted to land so he made do with his shoe shining and mauling. Bottom line was it was fast fighters making him look awkward.

Against men of simular size to each other i am sure they would look more conventional and better today. I think Willard could have been better but that Carnera was more experienced. I take Primo. On points.
Interesting ...
he grant is offline  Top
Old 08-15-2013, 06:46 PM   #8
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

I guess that Willard has the better physical fundamentals, and Carnera is the better technician.

Carnera would likley win a decision if it went to the cards, but it is quite likley that Willard would stop him, especialy in a longer fight.
janitor is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum