Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 11-02-2012, 12:28 PM   #1
Brand NOOBian
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Sucker for the Overhand Right

Had my first "war" while sparring today. The kid's fairly new at the gym. Last time I sparred him a few months back I was able to easily slip/block his punches, and I accidentally gave him a bloody nose halfway through the first round and he quit. I haven't seen him around at the gym much since then, but he came today and the coach told us to spar. He wasn't scared/timid like he was in our last session, and dude came at me with a vengeance right off the bat. He's always had a tendency to go a little too hard while sparring, but today was different. Maybe he was trying to get me back for last time. I don't know. He kept coming forward and throwing haymakers and using his height/weight advantage to try and push me around the ring and rough me up. I'd say he outweighs me by 20-30 pounds by how he looks. Once I started going to the body, his pace slowed down considerably, and I stunned him quite a few times with some hard hooks upstairs. The coach even told him the first time I rocked him that the only reason I'm hitting hard is cuz he's hitting hard. After that I went light on him, but dude started throwing with all his power again. Then I was like f it.

Skill-wise I'm better than him, only cuz I've been training longer than he has, but he was able to land a lot of hard jabs and overhand rights on me, pretty much at will. The jabs I'll credit to his height/reach advantage, so I'm not surprised there. I wasn't really thinking about defense at the time either. But I should've been able to avoid his overhand right. A few times I even knew he was getting ready to throw it, but I still got hit by it. Or even if I blocked it, the force was strong enough to do some damage. Just didn't know what to do I guess.
Brand NOOBian is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-2012, 01:32 PM   #2
Tar Baby
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 430
Default Re: Sucker for the Overhand Right

Hands up.
Ask your coach bro, he watched the spar he'd have a better idea of what u were doing wrong be it not enough movement or head/hand positioning etc...

How long have you been training any way? I'm assuming you've had bouts
Tar Baby is offline  Top
Old 11-02-2012, 02:18 PM   #3
Brand NOOBian
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

I'll definitely do that next time I go in.

I started mid-January of this year. I kinda half-assed it until March though. And no bouts yet. I was supposed to have my first white collar fight last week, but it got cancelled at the last minute. Not sure when I'll have my first one now.

Today's sparring session was probably the closest I've had to an actual bout so far in terms of intensity and no holding back on the punches. It was only 2 rounds, but it was definitely harder than any 3 or 4 round light sparring session I've ever had. Even though I'd say I got the better of him, it opened up my eyes to a lot of things I need to work on.
Old 11-02-2012, 03:20 PM   #4
greynotsoold
Contender
ESB Senior Member

There is really no reason to get hit with right hands because you can see them coming for a mile...unless, of course, you are square to your opponent. Then you are considerably closer and thus easier to hit with any straight punch. I think that that may be the case, as you mentioned that you were getting hit with a lot of jabs, too. (Catch 'em in your right glove, it is easy to do. And, you can pivot off the catch to cut distance and jab back, or parry it to create an opening to get close and work inside.)
I don't think that keeping your hands up is the answer; you mentioned that even when you blocked his right hands, they were damaging. In fact, keeping your hands up may well be part of the problem, as it is easier to avoid something when you can see it coming. Get yourself more sideways because that will make you less of a target for right hands and jabs, you'll be able to see them coming for a longer distance, and you can hide behind your shoulder.
You said you often knew he was going to throw the right hand but still got hit with it, so I guess you stood there and waited for it, gloves up? Get under it and hook his body. Slip outside it and counter with your own right hand. Slide to your right, away from his, and beat him to the punch with your right hand.
greynotsoold is offline  Top
Old 11-02-2012, 03:48 PM   #5
Ricky42791
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2835

I throw big overhand rights because I'm short and stocky, usually have to aim up to hit my opponent so its a good punch for me, from someone who is trying to land that punch what keeps me at bay is sticking him with a jab everytime he ****s back to throw it. U should beat him to the punch (no pun intended) everytime. Dont let him get that close to you in the first place if you can help it but if he does close the distrance you can smother it by moving in as he's throwing it to take a way his power. You could also slip to your left and hit him with a liver shot. Circle right constantly...
Ricky42791 is offline  Top
Old 11-02-2012, 03:57 PM   #6
RichC
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brand NOOBian View Post
Had my first "war" while sparring today. The kid's fairly new at the gym. Last time I sparred him a few months back I was able to easily slip/block his punches, and I accidentally gave him a bloody nose halfway through the first round and he quit. I haven't seen him around at the gym much since then, but he came today and the coach told us to spar. He wasn't scared/timid like he was in our last session, and dude came at me with a vengeance right off the bat. He's always had a tendency to go a little too hard while sparring, but today was different. Maybe he was trying to get me back for last time. I don't know. He kept coming forward and throwing haymakers and using his height/weight advantage to try and push me around the ring and rough me up. I'd say he outweighs me by 20-30 pounds by how he looks. Once I started going to the body, his pace slowed down considerably, and I stunned him quite a few times with some hard hooks upstairs. The coach even told him the first time I rocked him that the only reason I'm hitting hard is cuz he's hitting hard. After that I went light on him, but dude started throwing with all his power again. Then I was like f it.

Skill-wise I'm better than him, only cuz I've been training longer than he has, but he was able to land a lot of hard jabs and overhand rights on me, pretty much at will. The jabs I'll credit to his height/reach advantage, so I'm not surprised there. I wasn't really thinking about defense at the time either. But I should've been able to avoid his overhand right. A few times I even knew he was getting ready to throw it, but I still got hit by it. Or even if I blocked it, the force was strong enough to do some damage. Just didn't know what to do I guess.
It sounds like you have some good competitive sparring there with this lad. He's given you plenty to think about and it doesn't seem as if you have any complaints.

Good post from greynotsoold - I would guess he's not far of the mark there.

One other common fault I often see beginners do which results in them getting caught with the right hand is when they block a jab, they tend to rotate their rear shoulder forward which squares them up and they get hit by the right hand behind the jab.

You may be doing this?
RichC is offline  Top
Old 11-03-2012, 12:00 PM   #7
Brand NOOBian
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Thanks all.

I don't think I was too squared up, as I'm usually not whenever I hit the bag or shadowbox. I couldn't see myself in the ring and can't remember much now, but if I was going on instinct I doubt I would've been too square. I could be wrong though. Wish I filmed the session.

I think the main thing was I wasn't even worried about the kid before we started, cuz the last time it was fairly easy sparring him, and it kinda threw me off how agressive he was and how much he had improved. After he threw some haymakers at me, defense went out the window and I was more concerned about hitting him (hard) than blocking/slipping. I blocked whenever he started throwing multiple shots, but I don't think I even tried to slip, catch, or parry the jab once. Even though he's taller, instead of utilizing his reach and outboxing me, he rushed in and tried to smother me, pushing me against the ropes and leaning on me with his bodyweight. Made it easier for me to hit his body/kidneys, but wasn't used to being smothered and outmuscled.

Overall, I think it was a good experience. Glad it happened and I'm looking forward to sparring again to see what I need to improve on.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing