Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: How Good Was Dempsey's Victory Over Sharkey, 1-10?
1 2 6.90%
2 0 0%
3 2 6.90%
4 1 3.45%
5 2 6.90%
6 4 13.79%
7 9 31.03%
8 7 24.14%
9 2 6.90%
10 0 0%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-03-2012, 02:57 AM   #31
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Please, Rank The Victory: Volume 1: Jack Dempsey KO7 Jack Sharkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Sanders View Post
yes thank you very much, nobody talks about how Sharkey took a very cheap shot to Dempsey's jaw well after the bell at the end of the round just before he got knocked out

too much Skarkey apologists for my liking, what comes around goes around

I also wonder how people can score the fight in one-sided fashion in favor of Sharkey, it's an inside fight for the most part and the poor quality of the footage makes it hard to see what is landing clean, head or body

there is no indication that Sharkey would have won that fight had there been no low blow-hook to the jaw combo
I think Sharkey had done well early on but the fight had changed distinctly by the time the end occurred. Dempsey had been coming on strong and finding his range inside for two rounds prior. He's weathered Sharkey's early success and the fight was heating up.
I don't want to glorify or embellsh Dempsey's performance, it was a flawed performance and a little tarnished but the main thing I think Sharkey was a spoiled front-runner in this fight.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-03-2012, 05:00 PM   #32
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
yes thank you very much, nobody talks about how Sharkey took a very cheap shot to Dempsey's jaw well after the bell at the end of the round just before he got knocked out

too much Skarkey apologists for my liking, what comes around goes around

I also wonder how people can score the fight in one-sided fashion in favor of Sharkey, it's an inside fight for the most part and the poor quality of the footage makes it hard to see what is landing clean, head or body

there is no indication that Sharkey would have won that fight had there been no low blow-hook to the jaw combo
Maybe the low blow in the next round was a retaliation for that cheap shot.
red cobra is offline  Top
Old 11-03-2012, 05:13 PM   #33
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Not many long reigning lineal heavyweight champions beat the heir to their throne.

Joe Louis beat Joe Walcott.

Lennox Lewis beat Vitally Klitschko.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 11-03-2012, 08:34 PM   #34
edward morbius
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

RED COBRA--"I wanted to edit out the word bastard, after all, I have some standards."

I used the word bastard to describe Sharkey in the Joe Louis thread. It was a common usage word when I was young and no one got that excited. I would probably have been pleased if my drill sergeant stuck to calling me a bastard.

Growing up on a farm, it was the term for a male dog, with bitch for a female dog.

I checked with the American Kennel Club Board and yes, that is or was correct.

It does refer to an illegitimate boy, but that was a secondary use in those days and I didn't find out about that until I was educated.

Now the word has become politically incorrect, so I changed it in the Joe Louis beat five champions thread to "creep" which does seem to lack the same snap.

Hope you guys weren't offended.
edward morbius is offline  Top
Old 11-04-2012, 02:33 PM   #35
guilalah
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I voted '8', by which I mean 'very good'. Some iffy punches in the last round keep it from being a '9' (excellent). Sharkey had won most of the rounds, but Dempsey's body shot deposits seemed to be drawing interest. I get the feeling the fight was starting to turn. Big win in Dempsey's career, shows that even in decline he was probably still the next best active hvywt after Tunney.
guilalah is offline  Top
Old 11-04-2012, 02:36 PM   #36
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
You're kidding right? Dempsey won only 1 of the first 6 rounds on any normal scorecard.
SuzieQ49 is online now  Top
Old 11-04-2012, 03:58 PM   #37
Colonel Sanders
NSB defector
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieQ49 View Post
You're kidding right? Dempsey won only 1 of the first 6 rounds on any normal scorecard.
as has been stated by some posters, the tide appeared to be turning

it was scheduled for 15 rounds, I think Dempsey would have broken down Sharkey down the stretch, as Sharkey was fighting Dempsey's fight

and as I said, how can you score the fight so one-sidedly for Sharkey, the footage quality is very poor
Colonel Sanders is offline  Top
Old 11-04-2012, 04:49 PM   #38
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor View Post
Not many long reigning lineal heavyweight champions beat the heir to their throne.

Joe Louis beat Joe Walcott.

Lennox Lewis beat Vitally Klitschko.

Well Dempsey beat the heir of his heir lol.
Dempsey1238 is offline  Top
Old 11-04-2012, 04:53 PM   #39
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:

it was scheduled for 15 rounds, I think Dempsey would have broken down Sharkey down the stretch, as Sharkey was fighting Dempsey's fight

and as I said, how can you score the fight so one-sidedly for Sharkey, the footage quality is very poor

Footage is bad, but you can still sort of tell whats going on I guess. I think I score it 4-2 for Sharkey about. I think it got dirty the movement Sharkey hit Dempsey after the bell. Dempsey answer back. As for a points victory, a win is a win, no matter how it happen.

I give it a 6 though, but I not going to used this win to support or tear down Dempsey here. It got Dempsey to the rematch. Dempsey is ranked more on his wins over Firpo, or Willard and his 2 clashes with Tunney. The Sharkey fight is hardly ever brought up. Outside of the ending of couse.
Dempsey1238 is offline  Top
Old 11-04-2012, 07:35 PM   #40
edward morbius
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieQ49 View Post
I tried to find out what the official scorecards said and couldn't, but I did find this post right here on ESB

Maxmomer 3-1-2009 8:57

"I just read an interesting article on this fight."

Later in his post, he posted this

"Also, out of the scorecards of the two judges and the referee 5 rounds were even, 6 for Dempsey, and 7 for Sharkey."

***I have no way of knowing if Max's article is correct, but if it is, the official scoring was very close and Dempsey could have pulled ahead if he took the 7th.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:18 AM   #41
edward morbius
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I just rewatched the entire film.

I had it 3-2-1 for Sharkey going into the 7th.

Sharkey certainly fought well, but he fought Dempsey inside the whole fight and was taking a body beating in my opinion. It wasn't like Dempsey was constantly eating jabs like he did again the retreating Tunney. This fight was close.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:33 AM   #42
MadcapMaxie
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:

Just to play Devils Advocate but who did Dempsey ever break down over the stretch and which fight did he end up turning the tide after having been beaten for the 1st half of a fight? IIRC there are no such examples and Dempsey never KO'd someone beyond the 6th round (excluding this fight of course).
MadcapMaxie is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2012, 03:35 AM   #43
edward morbius
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadcapMaxie View Post
Just to play Devils Advocate but who did Dempsey ever break down over the stretch and which fight did he end up turning the tide after having been beaten for the 1st half of a fight? IIRC there are no such examples and Dempsey never KO'd someone beyond the 6th round (excluding this fight of course).

"who did Dempsey ever break down over the stretch and which fight did he end up turning the tide after having been beaten for the 1st half of the fight?"

Bill Brennan--1920
Old 11-05-2012, 04:57 AM   #44
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Would that be because Dempsey kod the vast majority of his opposition early?
Off the top of my head I think he only went that distance around 12 times ,two of which he lost ,to Tunney, one a dec win with Gibbons , one a draw with Miske.
He did score three late kos when he was a novice,and ,as has been said he stopped Brennan late.
Should we penalise him for taking opponents out early?

Dempsey was getting back in the fight ,his corner instructions were "keep pounding them in to his body", Sharkey was starting to wilt a bit imo. He was in front but the gap was closing, because he was fighting Dempsey's fight.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2012, 07:31 AM   #45
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by edward morbius View Post
"who did Dempsey ever break down over the stretch and which fight did he end up turning the tide after having been beaten for the 1st half of the fight?"

Bill Brennan--1920
You beat me to it !

The Bill Brennan fight completely fits the description MadcapMaxie is looking for.
Unforgiven is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum