Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 11-04-2012, 01:53 AM   #16
the cobra
Awesomeizationism!
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Wongjongkam gets drilled in 3, and now retires

Try this joke on for size, krackerjack!

How many Russian-born-yet-culturally-English South Koreans does it take to screw in a light bulb?

Just the one...

BUT I'M GONNA PUNCH HIM IN THE FACE!
the cobra is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2012, 01:12 AM   #17
Boxed Ears
Irony Himmler
East Side VIP

vCash: 26665

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

I'm Canadian.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 11-04-2012, 01:46 AM   #18
the cobra
Awesomeizationism!
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxed Ears View Post
I don't care for this GIF. It's always freaked me out and I don't know what the hell it's supposed to mean. A retarded, obese squirrel? I just don't get it, man.

Quote:
I'm Canadian
the cobra is offline  Top
Old 11-04-2012, 01:53 AM   #19
Aaron Contreras
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
His longevity surpasses that of Arbachakov, but I'd say Yuri was evidently the more skilled operator. He surpasses Kittikasem all in all, and I think at his best he'd be way too sharp for him and bomb him out if he doesn't get caught with something big. At his best Pongsaklek was sharp in and out. He's been past his best for a few years now, the win over Kameda being a decent swansong considering his legs have been gone and his reflexes dwindling for a while. Spread over his whole title reign his level of oppo' at fly was better than Too Sharp's.

I wouldn't put Kingpetch in that club either. I'm mocked for it but Venice Borkorsor outranks all Thai's mentioned thus far. Bringing Chionoi into the mix makes it murkier to make a clear assessment, but Wonjongkam is in the 2nd tier for me.

I think Wonjongkam and Chitalada wouldn't be too far off each other whichever way you think that argument goes.

He was absolutely deadly against Tunacao, Naito (first time) but could be badly hurt even at his very best(Canete). Pretty dependable fighter for the most part, and I commend him staying busy all the time even against limited opposition. Of course, not many unifications in the little guys nowadays. That's why the likes of Lynch, Accavallo, Harada, Villa, have to rank above him, not because the ABC belts mean anything but that Pongsaklek missed quite a few quality fighters that came through the ranks during his lineal championship reign. Morel, Too Sharp and those you mentioned. It's neither his fault nor theirs but he can't receive the credit for beating the best of his era regardless but he did beat some of them, I like Naito anyway, awkward bastard. I'd put Ebihara, Oguma, Laciar above him.

Flea,

Why is Borkhorsor clearly greater than Wonjongkam? Or any other Thai boxer, at that?

I'm not disagreeing with you or anything close to that, would just like to hear your insight.
Aaron Contreras is offline  Top
Old 11-04-2012, 02:57 AM   #20
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Not clearly my friend, but his best victories are stupendous, annihilating Betulio Gonzalez in violent fashion close to his prime and forcing him to quit (Wow!) and outboxing Salavarria (Borkorsor is supposed to be a marauder for ****s sake!) with a dominant jabbing display.

The contenders he beat (Cabanela, Guerrero, Koh, Kwang, Gumede) wouldn't be inferior to some of Wonjongkam's scalps and he moved up, took on a top notch bantamweight and acquitted himself well, doing what Ruben Olivares couldn't and turning Herrera's face to mush and being on the wrong end of a controversial decision.

The lack of footage means he isn't clearly greater than anyone but the evidence, and my gut, tells me he was superior to Wonjongkam despite not having the longevity, which he may well have had with an extra day to weigh in (he was a TANK of a flyweight).

I'd be pretty confident that Ohba would've been killed if he hadn't actually died put it that way.

Last edited by Flea Man; 11-04-2012 at 03:28 AM.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 11-04-2012, 05:31 AM   #21
Lester1583
Can you hear this?
ESB Addict

Bus Station's epic victory over Herrera eclipses Pong's entire career.
Lester1583 is offline  Top
Old 11-04-2012, 05:35 AM   #22
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester1583 View Post
Bus Station's epic victory over Herrera eclipses Pong's entire career.
You'd have to think he got shafted there. And even if he didn't, he brutalised Herrera in a way that demonstrated the level of danger he presented.

When Alfonso Zamora is impressed by you 30 odd years later, you know you're a savage.

When Mexican TV can only put your messiest bits in the highlight of the hometown fighter that has beaten you, you know you were robbed.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMxyFyj_Q6M[/ame]

As for the Herrera fight, in Rafael's defence we don't have the 6th round, where he dropped Bus Station.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 11-04-2012, 03:24 PM   #23
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Wongjongkam was the best of the 00's Flyweights.

I remember not long after joining this forum, there was a poster obsessed with Eric Morel and used to start threads claiming him the greatest Fly ever etc, matchups against Wilde ending in early KO's for him and speculating how he would do against barrera and Morales.

Poor bastard.I wonder what became of him.
lora is online now  Top
Old 11-04-2012, 03:45 PM   #24
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lora View Post
Wongjongkam was the best of the 00's Flyweights.
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lora View Post
I remember not long after joining this forum, there was a poster obsessed with Eric Morel and used to start threads claiming him the greatest Fly ever etc, matchups against Wilde ending in early KO's for him and speculating how he would do against barrera and Morales.

Poor bastard.I wonder what became of him.
Poor bastard indeed, though Morel was good I reckon. Again, suffered from lack of opposition (Denkaosan was alright) and fizzled out (and nonced someone up)

Last edited by Flea Man; 11-04-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 11-04-2012, 07:43 PM   #25
blacktopbully
Belt holder
ESB Addict

funky kolmadina

wait

koki Kameda
blacktopbully is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum