Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 02-01-2008, 05:46 PM   #1
unitas
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Eamonn Loughran vs Gary Jacobs

this could have happened.....say in 94 perhaps.

both are somewhat forgotten these days. loughran was the wbo welter champ in the early ninetees. he was once schedueld to face whitaker......but it never happened.
and after he ran into the excellent jose luis lopez he just retired.

jacobs was in with the better company but lost to all the "names" on his record......such a buddy mcgirt and pernell withaker.

but he did give a good account of himself.

jacobs never held a world title.......but the euro belt he did hold was probably worth just as much or more than the wbo belt in the early ninetees.

both fought donovan boucher and alessandro duran. jacobs lost to boucher but koŽd duran in eight.

loughran koŽd boucher in three and won on points against duran.

so who wins this battle of scotland vs ireland?????????
unitas is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-01-2008, 05:52 PM   #2
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Default Re: Eamonn Loughran vs Gary Jacobs

Prime for prime its Jacobs for me and for the reasons you've mentioned. He mixed (and did OK) in better company than Magee.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 02-02-2008, 08:55 AM   #3
Big Ears
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazOC
Prime for prime its Jacobs for me and for the reasons you've mentioned. He mixed (and did OK) in better company than Magee.
He's talking about Loughran not Magee . Although a prime Eamon Magee(although only a Light-Welter) would make an interesting fight against these two .
Big Ears is offline  Top
Old 02-02-2008, 09:06 AM   #4
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ears
He's talking about Loughran not Magee . Although a prime Eamon Magee(although only a Light-Welter) would make an interesting fight against these two .
Ah, sorry. Thats post pub posting for you....
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 02-02-2008, 09:29 AM   #5
fatcity
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 2203

Mentioning Boucher,the 46 year old made a comeback last year and won 2 fights in a row and will now fight for the Canadian title on April 1 in Toronto.This is 20 years after he won the Canadian title the first time!Remarkable.
When he fought Louchran and got tko'd he was going through a nasty split with his girlfriend and just wanted the fight to be over with,so instead of boxing Emann he decided to slug it out and got caught.Barry Hearns always promised a rematch but never delivered.To this day Boucher says he would love to even the score and never got the chance.
fatcity is offline  Top
Old 02-10-2008, 07:38 AM   #6
ardy
UP THE IRISH
ESB Addict

vCash: 1153

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitas

both are somewhat forgotten these days. loughran was the wbo welter champ in the early ninetees. he was once schedueld to face whitaker......but it never happened.

jacobs was in with the better company but lost to all the "names" on his record......such a buddy mcgirt and pernell withaker.

jacobs never held a world title.......but the euro belt he did hold was probably worth just as much or more than the wbo belt in the early ninetees.

both fought donovan boucher and alessandro duran. jacobs lost to boucher but koŽd duran in eight.

Loughran was a talented amateur[won silver at world juniors 1987], but lacked the dedication needed to fulfil his potential. Although he won the WBO welter title, it was the poor relation to the major belts. When he lost the title it was a matter of being caught cold, but his ego prevented him from ever fighting again. On the other hand Jacobs was less talented than Loughran but completly dedicated to his trade. It would have been a 50/50 contest but I think Jacobs might have won it on points.
ardy is offline  Top
Old 02-10-2008, 08:30 AM   #7
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitas

Well, Jacobs did last the distnace against the no1 P4P fighter in the world.
I dont know if people know that, but when Gary Jacobs fought Sweet pea, he was the no1 fighter on the planet.

When you think of how hatton fared aginst mayweather, & then think that Gary Jacobs went the full 12 with Pernell, you have to say that Gary Jacobs was pretty special.

I know who I would have put my money on in these circumstances. The former british, commonwealth & european champion & contender for the no1 P4P fighter on the planet at one stage.
Dunky McCafferty is offline  Top
Old 02-10-2008, 08:51 AM   #8
Nemesis
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunky McCafferty
Well, Jacobs did last the distnace against the no1 P4P fighter in the world.
I dont know if people know that, but when Gary Jacobs fought Sweet pea, he was the no1 fighter on the planet.

When you think of how hatton fared aginst mayweather, & then think that Gary Jacobs went the full 12 with Pernell, you have to say that Gary Jacobs was pretty special.

I know who I would have put my money on in these circumstances. The former british, commonwealth & european champion & contender for the no1 P4P fighter on the planet at one stage.
The only problem with this Dunk is that Sweet Pea couldnt crack an egg
Nemesis is offline  Top
Old 02-10-2008, 08:58 AM   #9
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis
The only problem with this Dunk is that Sweet Pea couldnt crack an egg
When you look at Floyd, he hasnt exactly got an oustanding KO record when hes faced off at the top level either. Apart from Ricky of course
Dunky McCafferty is offline  Top
Old 02-10-2008, 09:11 AM   #10
Nemesis
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunky McCafferty
When you look at Floyd, he hasnt exactly got an oustanding KO record when hes faced off at the top level either. Apart from Ricky of course
fair enough
Nemesis is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum