Danmann
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Dirtiest HW Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillB View Post
Marciano was a dirty fighter.
He was known by his peers as a dirty fighter.

I read where he was asked about this once by a sportswriter.

He admitted it but said he swore on his mother's life that he didn't realize he was doing these things when they occurred.

He may have been telling the truth. He could have been so focused on destroying his opponents that he didn't notice his fouls.

True or not, that didn't help the people on the receiving end of his dirty tactics.
His peers did not think so. Walcott fought way dirtier in their first bout.
Danmann is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2012, 04:02 AM   #32
Danmann
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron u.k. View Post
I think Marciano's display against Don ****ell was one of the dirtiest ever. He did everything to Don in there.
****ell was spinning like a top at times Marciano was just punching away, ****ell turned back on him. British sportswriters, notorious sore losers (like yourself) used 'Dirty fighter" excuse.
Danmann is offline  Top
Old 11-06-2012, 04:09 AM   #33
CarlesX7
Shit got real!
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenfrank View Post
1. Mike Tyson
2. Frank Bruno
3. William Harrisson
4. Muhammad Ali / Cautious Play
5. Rocco Markegiano
6. Lawrence Holmes
7. Lennox Lewis
8. Rid**** Bowe
9. Evan Fields
10. Wladimir Klitschko
11. Tim Witherspoon
Evan Fields has to be at least above Lennox, man. I agree, though. He hid it so well, unlike guys like Ali, Bruno etc.
CarlesX7 is offline  Top
Old 11-06-2012, 04:24 AM   #34
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmann View Post
****ell was spinning like a top at times Marciano was just punching away, ****ell turned back on him. British sportswriters, notorious sore losers (like yourself) used 'Dirty fighter" excuse.
Worst post on this thread so far.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 11-06-2012, 04:32 AM   #35
Danmann
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey View Post
Bull****.
Danmann is offline  Top
Old 11-06-2012, 04:41 AM   #36
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillB View Post
Of the ones I'm familiar with I would say the dirtiest were Ali, Marciano and Holyfield.

Ali's holding and hitting and neck yanking are legendary. You can see it in almost every fight.

Marciano- Hitting after the bell, hitting on the break and rabbit punching. One or two cases of hitting a man while he's down on one knee.

Holyfield- Head butting.

Liston- Doped gloves? I don't believe Clay's claim that Liston blinded him with doped gloves in their first fight. I think it was staged.
Machen made the same accusation against Liston. It may have been true. Machen had more credibility than Clay.
I don't think any of them were that horrendous. Marciano, and Holyfield & Tyson may have been the worst.

Going right back Jeffries was warned for backhanding a couple of times,and for hitting in the clinches in contravention of prior agreement.
Johnson was warned for holding and uppercutting.

Dempsey took advantage of the slack interpretation of the neutral corner rule,which Fleischer had clarified ,and subsequently enforced after the Firpo fight.
Tuney complained about Dempsey's rabbit punches.
Sharkey was known to stray south with punches, and occasionally hit after the bell.
Baer often backhanded his foes.
Carnera stamped on his opponents feet, and hit low in a couple of fights which may have been "choreagraphed".
Marciano was " temper dirty", I don't think he knew what he was pulling in there at times.
In his frustration that the Brit was stubbornly stilll there , he got away with a catalogue of fouls against ****ell.

Liston's gloves we think we know about, other than that he was a clean fighter.
Ali held and pulled opponents down. Frazier a clean fighter ,especially for his style, landed many punches to Ali's upper thighs.
I doubt they were intentional.

Holyfield was cynical with his head.
Bowe was inclined to "lose direction "with shots.
Michael Spinks was," elbow happy".

Holmes would tee up with the left, pinning his target and ,in that split second launch the right.
Tyson was a dirty fighter against Botha,and Holyfield.

So Marciano, Holyfield,Tyson for me.

Last edited by mcvey; 11-06-2012 at 01:19 PM.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 11-06-2012, 08:53 AM   #37
MadcapMaxie
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
I don't think any of them were that horrendous. Marciano, and Holyfield & Tyson may have been the worst.

Going right back Jeffries was warned for backhanding a couple of times,and for hitting in the clinches in contravention of prior agreement.
Johnson was warned for holding and uppercutting.

Dempsey took advantage of the slack interpretation of the neutral corner rule,which Fleischer had clarified ,and subsequently enforced after the Firpo fight.
Tuney complained about Dempsey's rabbit punches.
Sharkey was known to stray south with punches, and occasionally hit after the bell.
Baer often backhanded his foes.
Carnera stamped on his opponents feet, and hit low in a couple of fights which may have been "choreagraphed".
Marciano was " temper dirty", I don't think he knew what he was pulling in there at times.
In his frustration that the Brit was stubbornly stilll there , he got away with a catalogue of fouls against ****ell.

Liston's gloves we think we know about, other than that he was a clean fighter.
Ali held and pulled opponents down. Frazier a clean fighter ,especially for his style, landed many punches to Ali's upper thighs.
I doubt they were intentional.

Holyfiled was cynical with his head.
Bowe was inclined to "lose direction "with shots.
Michael Spinks was," elbow happy".

Holmes would tee up with the left, pinning his target and ,in that split second launch the right.
Tyson was a dirty fighter against Botha,and Holyfield.

So Marciano, Holyfield,Tyson for me.
Maxie Baer aside from the back hand was also fond of some low blows, hitting on the break and particularly using his enourmous head to ram people, from Galento to Louis.

Tyson, much more during the later half of his career when his personal life went to ****house, was the only one who was intentionally dirty in order to actually hurt someone. From the ear bite, trying to break arms, hitting after the ref stop the fight, numerous elbows etc.etc.
MadcapMaxie is offline  Top
Old 11-06-2012, 09:37 AM   #38
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:

Well he is right some what. On the knockdown in the 8th round were Rocky hit ****ell in the back of the head. Don did turn away from Marciano for that to happen. Marciano was ready to thown the punch, and ****ell, well just turn away from it.
Dempsey1238 is offline  Top
Old 11-06-2012, 01:30 PM   #39
SBleeder
Journeyman

Quote:
I have to strongly disagree on that, Tyson was clean fighter. If he knew how to fight dirty, he would not have had to openly ear bite Holyfield.
Tyson was one of the dirtiest heavyweights in history. The HBO crew had to nuthug him in every telecast and never mentioned any of it, but Tyson threw barrages of headbutts, low blows, and especially elbows.
SBleeder is offline  Top
Old 11-06-2012, 01:38 PM   #40
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
His peers did not think so. Walcott fought way dirtier in their first bout.
Explain
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 11-06-2012, 01:42 PM   #41
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dempsey1238 View Post
Well he is right some what. On the knockdown in the 8th round were Rocky hit ****ell in the back of the head. Don did turn away from Marciano for that to happen. Marciano was ready to thown the punch, and ****ell, well just turn away from it.
How about when he hit him when he was down?
Marciano hit ****ell in the kidneys in the 1st round.
End of the 3rd round,Marciano landed after the bell.
In he 4th round coming out of his crouch,Mrciano butted ****ell opening a ash on is forehead.
In the 3rd Marciano hit ****ell low.
In the 5th rd ,Marciano hit ****ell low .

In the 6th rd Marciano hit ****ell low, then hit him 3 times after the bell.
In the 7th round Marciano butted ****ell and landed a low blow at the bell.
Frank Brown the referee ,never once warned Marciano.

Still think he's right?

US Joe Williams ,writing for the NewYork World Telegram & Sun.
" Marciano violated practically every rule in the book.
He hit after the bell, he used his elbows, and head in close quarters,several times punched below the belt,and once hit ****ell when he was down."

****ell 's comment when asked about the fouls , said.
" We were both in there with two arms and legs , good luck to him."

Danman is a knob.

Last edited by mcvey; 11-06-2012 at 04:40 PM.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 11-06-2012, 03:16 PM   #42
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

[quote=mcvey;14147712]How about when he hit him when he was down?
In he 4th round coming out of his crouch,Mrciano butted ****ell opening a ash on is forehead.

Still think he's right?

He hit after the bell, he used his elbows, and head in close quarters,several times punched below the belt,and once hit ****ell when he was down."

Danman is a knob

I seen the fight, I didnt say Rocky fought clean lol. It perhaps was his most foul fill fight ever, I seen the 9 round highlights, not the complete film, but some of the shots ****ell did turn away from the punchings.
Now Rocky was punching at such a high punch rate(Compare to Charles 1 and Moore standers here) I dont think Marciano was really paying attention to the bell. Hench he got a few late shots in. Marciano also really has a hard time stoping his punchings. He would have hit Moore when he was down the final time had his punch not miss. It just happen that with ****ell, he nail him. The kidney shots and all that was more because of his thowing the non stop punchings. He was never good at aiming mind you in that frenzy. It is what it is. Even with out the fouls, I think MArciano would have won.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:21 PM   #43
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

[quote=Dempsey1238;14148258]
Quote:
How about when he hit him when he was down?

Still think he's right?

Danman is a knob

I seen the fight, I didnt say Rocky fought clean lol. It perhaps was his most foul fill fight ever, I seen the 9 round highlights, not the complete film, but some of the shots ****ell did turn away from the punchings.
Now Rocky was punching at such a high punch rate(Compare to Charles 1 and Moore standers here) I dont think Marciano was really paying attention to the bell. Hench he got a few late shots in. Marciano also really has a hard time stoping his punchings. He would have hit Moore when he was down the final time had his punch not miss. It just happen that with ****ell, he nail him. The kidney shots and all that was more because of his thowing the non stop punchings. He was never good at aiming mind you in that frenzy. It is what it is. Even with out the fouls, I think MArciano would have won.
Rocky would have won no doubt , but he might have been dsq'd abroad. I don't think Marciano was intentionally dirty .I think he just got in the "zone". Great fighter and champ, but comments from Danman were excrement.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 11-06-2012, 03:31 PM   #44
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

[quote=mcvey;14148294]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dempsey1238 View Post
Rocky would have won no doubt , but he might have been dsq'd abroad. I don't think Marciano was intentionally dirty .I think he just got in the "zone". Great fighter and champ, but comments from Danman were excrement.
Not sure on that either being aboard, Al would have made sure even in England, Marciano would have gotting the right judges and refs to favor Marciano in this department. It was more who had the better GM, and no one beat Al back than in that regard. Perhaps with a more strick ref, Marciano may have tone down the reckless punchings, maybe, but as long as Marciano had the right people behide him, his "Don King" so to speak, he would always make sure Marciano had more than a fair stake in the outcome.
Old 11-06-2012, 04:16 PM   #45
BlackBrenny
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadcapMaxie View Post
You obviously havnt seen that many Tyson fights, he butts, elbows, hits on the break, hit while they're down and hits after a fights been stopped. He bit Holyfield purely out of frustration, he couldn't handle what Holy was dishing out fists, head and all. Plus his personal life outside of boxing was crumbling down around him, he was angry at the world.

He would also try to break peoples arms in the clinch Frank Mir style, I think limb breaking can be classed as dirty
BlackBrenny is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum