Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 11-07-2012, 03:55 AM   #166
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Re: Robinson vs. Jones: Who's better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senya13 View Post
Fullmer outboxed Webb? He didn't (both the AP and the UPI had it much closer than the officials). He outworked him to the body. The same way he had done in the 1st fight, in a rugged brawl. Webb wasn't mobile or clever enough to avoid Fullmer's primitive walking forward behind a block, pushing Webb into the ropes and pounding him to the body while there.

The same Webb less than 3 months after their 2nd bout barely won split decision over unranked Calhoun, the verdict was loudly booed by the spectators. Calhoun knocked Webb down in the 2nd round and had him glassy-eyed in the 7th from a succession of rights to the jaw.

So, the answer to your question is yes, Webb wasn't that good at that point.
I have the full fight. Webb was forced to lead. Fullmer looked horrid but he did something different. I will upload it for your viewing 'pleasure' (poor bout really) if you wish to see it.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2012, 03:56 AM   #167
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Mediocre skills are just that - nothing special. He walked into Robinson's hook while keeping his hands at chest-level. When you have no slipping/leaning skills, no defensive footwork (angles, side-stepping, backing-away) and irregular parrying skills, and you are throwing punches in upward fashion, nearly from your waist, you should have been expecting trouble. That's some obvious lack of skills, both defensive and offensive. Some are calling his change of tactics vs Dick Tiger clever, I call that a coercive measure, he knew he couldn't bull Tiger, so he ran away most of the time.
How come he wasn't knocked out more often ?

You can talk about "skills" all day long. His overall worth as a fighter was obviously better than your estimation of his skills.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Old 11-07-2012, 04:39 AM   #168
Senya13
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1210

Flea Man
Then your view differs from the view of two reporters who watched it ringside (AP and UPI). Nothing surprising, happens all the time, where we see fights differently.

Unforgiven
Because he fought a lot of smaller fighters and non-punchers (Robinson's offense wasn't as good at that point).
My original posts:
Quote:
Fullmer was a mediocre pressure fighter with little or no defensive skills. Malinga was a better boxer, actually, better defensive skills.
Quote:
He's on film for me to judge whether he's mediocre or not, even without looking at his record.
So I stated from the very beginning that I was talking about his - skills, abilities, him as a boxer in general - being mediocre.

You tried to point out the draw with Dick Tiger as a reason to believe he wasn't that bad, I stated my opinion about that as well. Again, not just my opinion (same as other people sharing the definition of Fullmer being mediocre), Tiger himself stated after the fight that he was puzzled by Fullmer running away from him. He backed away round after round after round, and Tiger not having the most impressive footwork made it a difficult fight for him.
Senya13 is offline  Top
Old 11-07-2012, 12:09 PM   #169
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 475

Senya do you at least agree that the sum of Fullmers skills (and physical tools) were better than the parts.
LittleRed is offline  Top
Old 11-07-2012, 03:38 PM   #170
Senya13
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1210

He was nothing special as a boxer, the sum or the parts, somewhere at the level of John Ruiz.
Senya13 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum