Louis KO 17 43.59%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-04-2012, 02:37 PM   #1
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP

vCash: 816
Default Big George Foreman vs The Brown Bomber Joe Louis

Prime for Prime? People believe Foreman had a pretty short prime (up to the Ali bout)

Who would be favoured? Who would you pick to win?

turbotime is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-2012, 02:42 PM   #2
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Re: Big George Foreman vs The Brown Bomber Joe Louis

Could go either way. Louis quicker and more accurate and varied but vulnerable to early knockdowns. Big George was slow, wide but could naturally inflict blunt trauma to his opponents insides.

Joe gets off the deck, breaks George down and stops him late. Not certain at all on that. Really not a confident pick. I love both admittedly.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 11-04-2012, 02:47 PM   #3
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP

vCash: 816

I like that too Flea. Both fighters were able to get up off the mat and keep going.

Joe had quicker hands, quicker feet also. I see no reason Joe couldn't catch Foreman before Foreman catches Joe, being as wide as he is. Eh, such a tough call though. A lot tougher for me than Lewis vs Foreman is.
turbotime is offline  Top
Old 11-04-2012, 03:34 PM   #4
DaveK
Vicious & Malicious
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Louis would have a counterpunching festival on Foreman. It could go either way, as Louis could get caught and dropped, but Louis really was quick with getting on the inside of punch strokes and firing counters.
DaveK is offline  Top
Old 11-04-2012, 03:38 PM   #5
RockyJim
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Louis was so fast and accurate with his punches...I think he counters the slower Foreman
and takes him out..."Brown Bomber" by KO...
RockyJim is offline  Top
Old 11-04-2012, 05:15 PM   #6
Webbiano
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

I can't see how Louis would get off the mat to win. Not saying he's going to go down against Foreman, but he'd be a sitting duck against (IMO) the most devastating puncher of all time and I can't see him surviving.

Neither man could take the others best shots, however I don't think Joe could take Foreman's power even if he wasn't landing clean. I'm not ruling out a boxing clinic from Louis, but I just think the safer bet is for Foreman to win by stoppage.
Webbiano is offline  Top
Old 11-04-2012, 07:29 PM   #7
Brownies
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Bad match up for Foreman in my opinion. Louis would punch too fast, too accurately and with too much power for big George. I see him timing a right hand over George's left hook.
Brownies is offline  Top
Old 11-04-2012, 07:36 PM   #8
ushvinder
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Im picking foreman, louis was known to get dropped many times throughout his career and i dont think his whiskers can take foremans slugging bombs. Foreman by brutal stoppage.
ushvinder is offline  Top
Old 11-04-2012, 08:12 PM   #9
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Foreman by KO. Louis's chin was a bit shaky (he was dropped several times through out his career) and Foreman was stronger, a harder puncher, and had a hard jab that would keep Louis occupied as Foreman launched his other heavy blows.

All in all, I think Louis is too hittable, and Foreman is too strong and too heavy handed for Louis to overcome. Foreman by KO within 5.
Bill1234 is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2012, 12:10 AM   #10
ETM
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webbiano View Post
I can't see how Louis would get off the mat to win. Not saying he's going to go down against Foreman, but he'd be a sitting duck against (IMO) the most devastating puncher of all time and I can't see him surviving.
I believe the opposite is true.

Foreman would be walking into Joe Louis with his chin in the air, no headmovement with an inferior defense. Louis is going to get off first and last. He put together devastating combinations.

Foreman could club him to the ground but Joe always got up when down in the early rounds. George didnt put guys out for the 10 count the way the Brown Bomber did.

Joe Louis by KO, faster hands, better boxing skills and shorter more accurate punching. If it went past the first 6 or 7 rounds Louis also has the advantage in stamina and conditioning.
ETM is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2012, 12:14 AM   #11
The Kurgan
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 576

I can't see Louis missing. A loopy (in multiple senses) slugger versus a great and faster counter-puncher? This would be brutal. One thing we know about Foreman in the 1970s is that he became very ineffective when he had to worry about fast counter-punches. That's why this man-

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91SNCeMgPyM[/ame]

- would have a field day. And I don't mean Buddy Baer.
The Kurgan is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2012, 12:51 AM   #12
MagnaNasakki
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Could go either way. Louis quicker and more accurate and varied but vulnerable to early knockdowns. Big George was slow, wide but could naturally inflict blunt trauma to his opponents insides.

Joe gets off the deck, breaks George down and stops him late. Not certain at all on that. Really not a confident pick. I love both admittedly.
I'd predict this, but I also think it'd be a wild, high contact affair that ended before 6.

The first two rounds, Joe would be in trouble. He doesn't have a great defense, or an amazing chin- I think he'd be decked, more than once, but one of the most deadly 2 round fighters ever.

As George loses steam, though, speed and precision will tell. Foreman does himself in, here- His best punches got wider and wider the more haggard and hurt he fought, and these are the openings that Joe's triphammer punches would close.

I'm 70% sure of this outcome. The other 30 would be in Louis can't get up from what he eats early.
MagnaNasakki is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2012, 01:42 AM   #13
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnaNasakki View Post
I'd predict this, but I also think it'd be a wild, high contact affair that ended before 6.

The first two rounds, Joe would be in trouble. He doesn't have a great defense, or an amazing chin- I think he'd be decked, more than once, but one of the most deadly 2 round fighters ever.

As George loses steam, though, speed and precision will tell. Foreman does himself in, here- His best punches got wider and wider the more haggard and hurt he fought, and these are the openings that Joe's triphammer punches would close.

I'm 70% sure of this outcome. The other 30 would be in Louis can't get up from what he eats early.
This is fair. If George bombs him out of the ring like Buddy Baer did I doubt Louis recovers.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2012, 01:53 AM   #14
Bogotazo
Amateur
East Side VIP

vCash: 121

I think Louis finds him first. And even if he doesn't, I think he survives and eventually lands a good enough shot or sequence of shots to finish George off. But it would be a real nail-biter.
Bogotazo is offline  Top
Old 11-05-2012, 07:19 AM   #15
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotime View Post
Prime for Prime? People believe Foreman had a pretty short prime (up to the Ali bout)

Who would be favoured? Who would you pick to win?

Louis was the better all round boxer. The Foreman up to,and including, the Ali bout would stand a very live puncher's chance,which I can see him pulling off. Muhammad Ali and Joe Louis are quite rightly lauded as the greatest heavies that ever lived. In my opinion though,Ali does much better on a head to head basis.

Foreman by tko around the sixth.
Stevie G is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum