Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: Who do you think takes it?
Abner Mares 11 31.43%
Anselmo Moreno 23 65.71%
Draw 1 2.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-22-2012, 04:49 PM   #1
JFT96
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Mares-Moreno. How do you see it?

Both got very good wins last night and both have rightly received a good deal of praise for their last 2 performances. So, who do you think takes it?

I reckon both men have matured and stepped up a level if not 2 levels in their performances recently and whilst both had had wins over top opposition before, there were still a lot of questions to be answered on them both. Mares was pereceived, justifiably, as a somewhat dirty fighter whilst also letting himself down with his recklessness and inability to pace out 12 round fights IMO. Moreno had been very one dimensional in his 2 wins over both Sidorenko & Cermeno and his defensive, protective approach looked set to be his downfall vs a top class fighter.

However, as I said they both have stepped it up, On the same bill in December their dominant wins over top 5 fighters in Darchinyan & Agbeko made people sit up and notice whilst last night they maintained them standards albeit against inferior opposition. Moreno seems to have added a few more strings to his bow; he's no longer just content to sit on the back foot, evading punches with upper body movement. He's adopted a more pressuring style of his own and is sitting down on his punches considerably more. His pitter patter style of the past seems long gone and that, allied to his excellent accuracy, has made him a lot more of an exciting, daunting prospect.

Mares for his part has really turned himself into a very good boxer-puncher in my opinion. He's understood the value of working off his jab, as I implored him to do, off both the front and back foot and that's made his excellent combination punching a lot more threatening. He's a spiteful, if not devastating puncher, and seems to be adding some more defensive nuances to his inside game. He seems a better, more rounded fighter IMO and it's showing in more than ways than one- low blows have been a non issue in the last 2 for him.

Regarding a fight between the 2, I'll admit to a bit of a bias as a Mares fanboy but I do think he has the slight advantage. For however good he looked in the fight, Vic was perfectly set up for Moreno as his poor balance made countering him and evading punches child play for Anselmo. De la Mora was disappointing too. Mares would pressure him a lot more effectively IMO, as he crucially is a fantastic body puncher and is quite willing to start of his combos to the body which would be very important vs. someone like Moreno who's head movement is top notch in making his opponent miss upstairs. If Mares did get the fight on the inside too, I think he could deal with Moreno's attempts to grab and spoil. He's shown an ability to free one arm and work away whilst slipping anything coming back from his opponent. I don't think Moreno's anything special on the inside, it's just getting there and I think Mares can do what recent opponents haven't been able to by dominating with the jab. If Moreno wanted to lead off on the front foot, I think that'd suit Mares more as I consider him a better fighter off the back foot when he's circling with lateral movement.

Basically, I think Mares has all bases covered in this one and would take a close points decision. As I said before, I still worry slightly with his managemtn of the 12 round distance and Moreno is a quality fighter so I don't see Mares walking away with it but I do reckon he'd win. Could you give me specifics please on who you think will win and why exactly? Cheers .
JFT96 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-22-2012, 04:53 PM   #2
FrochFan7
Expert In Stucco
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Mares-Moreno. How do you see it?

Moreno definitely has the style advantage IMO. Mares got a ton of heart though and if he beats Moreno to the punch, the fight is his. But I'd say Chemito outboxes him mostly
FrochFan7 is offline  Top
Old 04-22-2012, 05:00 PM   #3
JFT96
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Poll added.
JFT96 is offline  Top
Old 04-22-2012, 05:02 PM   #4
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 41998

Moreno vs. Mares = Mijares vs. Arce
IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Old 04-22-2012, 05:10 PM   #5
JFT96
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cagewm View Post
I've never felt so offended.

How do you see it going j...Cagewm?
JFT96 is offline  Top
Old 04-22-2012, 05:19 PM   #6
SportsLeader
Chilling
ESB Addict

Quality post

I agree with your verdict. As you may or may not know, I'm not a massive fan of either of these fighters . Both have made me look like a fool with my predictions of their fights and criticisms of their abilities in the past. However like you say it's a very intriguing fight and arguably the best that can be made around the Bantamweight/SBW region. Your assesment was bang on for me, I think Moreno has been made to look much more able than he is (Like having the second best defense in the world according to compubox or some shit) by fighters (such as Darchinyan) playing right into his hands with their styles. That was a good win, but Darch was past his best and would have always been presented problems with that style which Moreno sports. De La Mora has never impressed me much TBH, Koki just made him look good.

But as I was saying, Mares' more calculated aggression would pose much more problems to Moreno than the wild Darchinyan ever could. Mares is great at setting the tempo, he did it marvelously against Jagbeko the second time around and controlled the fight. If Abner can set a similar fast pace against Moreno, and like you said start his combinations at the body to unsettle Moreno, he could be onto a winner. Moreno tends to look a bit pedestrian when he's not controlling the tempo, and there aren't too many better fighters than Mares at getting the pace of the fight to go in his favour.

Maybe Moreno has improved since the Cermeno fights, or maybe his recent opposition has just been flattering too him. Regardless, he has his flaws which I think Mares is more than capable of exploiting with his high work rate, smart aggression and accurate punching on the inside. Moreno won't be able to set himself, like Agbeko was unable too, and Mares should be able to carry the pace to a comfortable decision win.
SportsLeader is offline  Top
Old 04-22-2012, 05:26 PM   #7
JFT96
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsLeader View Post
Quality post

I agree with your verdict. As you may or may not know, I'm not a massive fan of either of these fighters . Both have made me look like a fool with my predictions of their fights and criticisms of their abilities in the past. However like you say it's a very intriguing fight and arguably the best that can be made around the Bantamweight/SBW region. Your assesment was bang on for me, I think Moreno has been made to look much more able than he is (Like having the second best defense in the world according to compubox or some shit) by fighters (such as Darchinyan) playing right into his hands with their styles. That was a good win, but Darch was past his best and would have always been presented problems with that style which Moreno sports. De La Mora has never impressed me much TBH, Koki just made him look good.

But as I was saying, Mares' more calculated aggression would pose much more problems to Moreno than the wild Darchinyan ever could. Mares is great at setting the tempo, he did it marvelously against Jagbeko the second time around and controlled the fight. If Abner can set a similar fast pace against Moreno, and like you said start his combinations at the body to unsettle Moreno, he could be onto a winner. Moreno tends to look a bit pedestrian when he's not controlling the tempo, and there aren't too many better fighters than Mares at getting the pace of the fight to go in his favour.

Maybe Moreno has improved since the Cermeno fights, or maybe his recent opposition has just been flattering too him. Regardless, he has his flaws which I think Mares is more than capable of exploiting with his high work rate, smart aggression and accurate punching on the inside. Moreno won't be able to set himself, like Agbeko was unable too, and Mares should be able to carry the pace to a comfortable decision win.
Cheers mate, a very nice addition to the thread and exactly what I was looking for.

The bit I've bolded is the key question I feel needs to be answered. I think a Mares-Moreno fight would be perfect to do so, as well as judging to what degree Abner has improved too.

A point I forgot to make before in the OP and one which Roe rightly brought up is Mares' mentality as well as skill. He has that Froch like attitude of never giving in and still pulling out a win even when his punch form is not up to much. Plus added to the fact his punch resistance seems very strong (as those 5 consecutive hard 12 rounders don't seem to be slowing him down), I think Moreno would struggle to make a dent in him and that could prove crucial later on in the fight.

A key weapon for Moreno is his ability to demoarlise his opponent and take charge from there, at his tempo as you said. I see that being more difficult for him to do with Mres than anybody else around the weight.
JFT96 is offline  Top
Old 04-22-2012, 05:28 PM   #8
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cagewm View Post
I've never felt so offended.
I've never felt so misquoted.

I guess over yonder they don't teach analogical reasoning & require it on standardized tests?
Old 04-22-2012, 05:32 PM   #9
SportsLeader
Chilling
ESB Addict

Yeah, I wouldn't even think about Moreno stopping him. Obviously anything can happen, but in the Perez and Darchinyan fights in particular Mares proved he could take a shot....and then some!
Old 04-22-2012, 05:35 PM   #10
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsLeader View Post
Yeah, I wouldn't even think about Moreno stopping him. Obviously anything can happen, but in the Perez and Darchinyan fights in particular Mares proved he could take a shot....and then some!
Chin shots. It's proven he can take a hell of a shot to the chin...

Who's to say Moreno won't do like he did to DLM, and give Mares a taste of his own medicine downstairs? He's got the length, snap, and sadistic streak to do just that. And there's precedent.

High dosage, too.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:56 PM   #11
SportsLeader
Chilling
ESB Addict

I agree IB, Moreno gets great torque on those shots and their placed excellently. But I can't envisage Moreno stopping Mares to the body with Abners conditioning and ability to occupy his opponent on the inside. I'm not sure how much freedom Moreno would be afforded to throw those shots.

Obviously it can't be overlooked, but I'd be very surprised if Moreno stopped him.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:56 PM   #12
chatty
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1419

It would be an excellent fight, I haven't watched the fights from last night yet but over the last few I still feel mares would edge it although Moreno is an excellent boxer and it wouldn't really surprise me if he won.
chatty is offline  Top
Old 04-22-2012, 07:55 PM   #13
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

vCash: 2500

Moreno. Just a better fighter really, only hope Abner has is just outworking him and getting a decision which is entirely possible since Moreno seems unpopular.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 04-23-2012, 06:03 AM   #14
Bryn
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2221

Really interesting fight and style match up, one that will hopefully be made. The timing now is perfect. I think it's one of those fights that will really divide opinion as there are many different ways to see how the action would go down.

I think Mares would need to press from the first bell, concentrating on pressure and body work, which he shouldn't have any trouble with. I see Moreno being elusive and catching Mares as he's coming in, but I find it difficult to see how Moreno could become the aggressor - if he's not careful he'll spend the majority of the night just trying to get out of Mares' way and not landing enough of his own shots to build up a lead.

I think in a just world Moreno would take it on points, landing the more accurate and effective shots, while Mares struggles to land his own punches, but if this does the distance (which it will) there is no telling how it'll be scored.
Bryn is offline  Top
Old 04-23-2012, 06:52 AM   #15
BoxingAnalyst
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

One of the best fights in boxing IMO, perfect blend of styles.

Mares best chance is to go to the body early and slow Moreno down and hopefully open up the head shots, he could outwork Chemito.

I see Mares having some success, but Moreno should be too slick and do just enough offensively to win fairly close on points.
BoxingAnalyst is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum