boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 11-07-2012, 10:00 AM   #1
macho_grande
"I'll never get over"
ESB Addict

vCash: 1534
Default Can someone breakdown Hameds last 10 opponents using modern day equivalents?

Although I was a boxing fan back then, I didnít really have a clue what was going on.

I see people talk about Hameds record but I can never really comment.

As I said in the title thread, can anybody use modern day equivalents (domestic, European or world) as an alternative to the Princeís last 10 fights.

Thanks

Manuel Calvo
Barrera (ignore him)
Augie Sanchez
Vuyani Bungi
Cesar Soto
Paul Ingle
Wayne McCullough
Wilfredo Vazquez
Kevin Kelley
Jose Badillo
macho_grande is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2012, 10:14 AM   #2
Marlow
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 960
Default Re: Can someone breakdown Hameds last 10 opponents using modern day equivalents?

No mate.
Marlow is offline  Top
Old 11-07-2012, 10:18 AM   #3
Boro chris
Champion
East Side Guru

Location: I'm not Jesus Christ. I've come to accept that now.
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Can someone breakdown Hameds last 10 opponents using modern day equivalents?

Quote:
Originally Posted by macho_grande View Post
Although I was a boxing fan back then, I didnít really have a clue what was going on.

I see people talk about Hameds record but I can never really comment.

As I said in the title thread, can anybody use modern day equivalents (domestic, European or world) as an alternative to the Princeís last 10 fights.

Thanks

Manuel Calvo
Barrera (ignore him)
Augie Sanchez
Vuyani Bungi
Cesar Soto
Paul Ingle
Wayne McCullough
Wilfredo Vazquez
Kevin Kelley
Jose Badillo
I'll make a half assed go at it. As for comparisons with modern fighters you may have to wait for more knowledgeable posters.

Badillo at the time was considered fairly useful and it's considered one of Nazs best performances. Don't think he achieved much after his beating by Naz.
Kelly was quite faded but still fast, sharp and experienced.
Vazquez was past it but not completely and utterly.
Wayne McCullough was a decent fighter, tough as **** with great workrate but not much power.
Paul Ingle was a similar model to Wayne but not quite as good. Useful though.
Soto-Never saw this fight, a decent name on the record but apprently an awful fight.
Bungu. Another good name but maybe slightly on the downside. Good example of Nazs punching power.
Sanchez was quite the banger but didn't acheive much after the fight.
I know nothing of Calvo.
Boro chris is offline  Top
Old 11-07-2012, 10:35 AM   #4
bam bam
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Manuel Calvo - another average fighter for Naz to build some confidence up against after the loss. Naz looked **** and rightfully retired
Barrera (ignore him)
Augie Sanchez - Great KO but he was average at best
Vuyani Bungi - LONG reigning 122 title holder. Held the belt for about 6 years prior. I thought this was a very good win for Naz.
Cesar Soto - **** fight. Never rated Soto.
Paul Ingle - Would go on to beat a past it Junior Jones and pick up a title before being terrible injured.
Wayne McCullough - Tough ******* who was still challenging for titles years after losing to Naz.
Wilfredo Vazquez - Was past it but was the lineal FW champ who also held the WBA title when he faced Naz - but was stripped because of politics.
Kevin Kelley - Faded, did go on to face (and lose to) Morales and Barrera
Jose Badillo - Lost a previous title fight against Boom Boom Johnson. I thought he was average.
bam bam is offline  Top
Old 11-07-2012, 03:06 PM   #5
HeavyT
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

A decent run of opponents, better than Calzaghe or Hatton ever took on consecutively. The namethat stands out is Calvo, he was a Euro champ that Naz got for the IBO after his loss to Bareera.
HeavyT is offline  Top
Old 11-07-2012, 03:45 PM   #6
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Imagine if Moreno takes a year out. Comes back at featherweight and gets spanked by Gamboa in his first fight back. That's how the win over Bungu should rank, even though at the moment I consider Bungu the better fighter than Moreno (of he beats Mares well he'll be well on his way to making up the gap)

Boro Chris has done a good job.

Kelley was never brilliant IMO but he was a solid offensive fighter and experienced.

Augie Sanchez is like a Litzau level fighter with better offence but lesser opposition. Quality amateur though apparently, I might be wrong but did he beat Floyd in the AAUs or summat?! Either way, not much good at all, think he was forcibly retired for having a shocking chin. Naz was well into his 'no effort' stage and still wrecked Augie, who, bless him, probably felt he was doing well. But Naz was just all over the shop.

Wilfredo Vasquez: don't believe the hype. It's easy to go 'wow, titles in all these divisions' but his chin failed him a few times and he was a pretty straight up boxer-puncher. Had just scored a savage Ring Magazine K.O of the year though. I guess it would kinda' be like beating a better Jhonny Gonzalez.

Calvo was poor and that's why Naz really ruined his career. Losing to Barrera but winning a few rounds? **** happens. Looking this **** against Calvo and then retiring? Just an abysmal end to a frequently spectacular career.

Ingle was pretty solid IMO. Junior Jones win was ace for him. Bad injury not so much but he was a gritty fighter who, while basic, knew what he was doing. If Carl Frampton now fought the best Paul Ingle he would not win. Not fair on Carl that but a quick comparison for the OP, not flaming Frampton, good lad and solid prospect.

Meh.
Flea Man is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum