Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2012, 06:13 AM   #46
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Poorer place without Johnny Tapia
Posts: 9,597
vCash: 75
Default Re: Worst world tile reigns by British fighters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl-hickey View Post
it has been shit

I don't understand why knocking out British level Kevin Mitchell has suddenly given him a good reign
Burns's world title resume stands alongside Broner's and Vasquez' and on close inspection,you could make an argument for it being better.
Outwith the fact that Broner is fighting Demarco next,and given that you have to be realistic about the fact that most fans are disgusted at the Walsh fight,Ricky takes on a good challenge every second or third fight,and let's not pretend vast numbers of people were picking Mitchell.
Oh the beauty of hindsight.Everyone knew Mitchell was getting K'dTFO.
PityTheFool is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2012, 06:21 AM   #47
Earl-hickey
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 7,015
vCash: 765
Default Re: Worst world tile reigns by British fighters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PityTheFool View Post
Burns's world title resume stands alongside Broner's and Vasquez' and on close inspection,you could make an argument for it being better.
Outwith the fact that Broner is fighting Demarco next,and given that you have to be realistic about the fact that most fans are disgusted at the Walsh fight,Ricky takes on a good challenge every second or third fight,and let's not pretend vast numbers of people were picking Mitchell.
Oh the beauty of hindsight.Everyone knew Mitchell was getting K'dTFO.
Broner is 23 and hasn't even had his title for a year

Burns is 29 and has been champion for over 2 years

But besides that it doesn't really matter, Burn's record still isn't "good"

When Paulus Moses is one of your best defenses, you know something is wrong
Earl-hickey is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:51 AM   #48
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Poorer place without Johnny Tapia
Posts: 9,597
vCash: 75
Default Re: Worst world tile reigns by British fighters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl-hickey View Post
Broner is 23 and hasn't even had his title for a year

Burns is 29 and has been champion for over 2 years

But besides that it doesn't really matter, Burn's record still isn't "good"

When Paulus Moses is one of your best defenses, you know something is wrong
Which of the lightweight champions has a far better title resume? Demarco?
How much better can his resume at title level be if Vasquez was considered #1 in the division and has a slightly weaker title resume?
At lightweigh he's fought Katsidis,Moses and Mitchell.That's a perfectly reasonable resume in that division for the time he's been champion,and I see that you chose to ignore my points on Mitchell and Vasquez.
To call Burns one of the worst British world champions shows that you know far less about the sport than I thought,because I although I disagree with some of your opinions,I didn't have you down as someone without a clue.
His resume as a LW champion is perfectly acceptable.Go and have a look at Broner's reign at SFW,and spare me the time frame nonsense.After that have a look at Vasquez,then come back and apologise.
PityTheFool is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 06:58 AM   #49
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Poorer place without Johnny Tapia
Posts: 9,597
vCash: 75
Default Re: Worst world tile reigns by British fighters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl-hickey View Post
Broner is 23 and hasn't even had his title for a year

Burns is 29 and has been champion for over 2 years

But besides that it doesn't really matter, Burn's record still isn't "good"

When Paulus Moses is one of your best defenses, you know something is wrong
In fact let's put this on record Earl.I'm sure it'll come in handy in the future.

You're saying that on a thread detailing the worst reigns by British "world"champions,Ricky Burns deserves a place?
PityTheFool is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:05 AM   #50
Earl-hickey
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 7,015
vCash: 765
Default Re: Worst world tile reigns by British fighters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PityTheFool View Post
Which of the lightweight champions has a far better title resume? Demarco?
How much better can his resume at title level be if Vasquez was considered #1 in the division and has a slightly weaker title resume?
At lightweigh he's fought Katsidis,Moses and Mitchell.That's a perfectly reasonable resume in that division for the time he's been champion,and I see that you chose to ignore my points on Mitchell and Vasquez.
To call Burns one of the worst British world champions shows that you know far less about the sport than I thought,because I although I disagree with some of your opinions,I didn't have you down as someone without a clue.
His resume as a LW champion is perfectly acceptable.Go and have a look at Broner's reign at SFW,and spare me the time frame nonsense.After that have a look at Vasquez,then come back and apologise.
Kevin Mitchell, because anyone with half a brain knew he'd choke, it was an ok win. not a good win at all for world title fight. an ok win.

as for the rest of your argument it seems to be that "It's ok to have a poor resume because so does vazquez"

That's nonsense.

Burns has fought too many stupid, pointless padding fights, and his best wins are average, Shot Katsidis, Average Moses, and Kevin Mitchell

You can make exuses for reasons that better fights didnt get made, but that doesnt improve Burns' resume, it excuses it, which isn't the point of this thread

for the record I like Ricky Burns and i'd give him a good shot against Broner and Vazquez

Also, I never called Burns "one of the worst" I just said it was bad, which it is
Earl-hickey is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:35 AM   #51
Robney
ᴻᴼ ᴸᴼᴻᴳᴲᴿ ᴲ۷ᴵᴸ
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: A hollow vulcano lair!
Posts: 23,153
vCash: 3208
Default Re: Worst world tile reigns by British fighters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
Which war ?
Falklands probably
Robney is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 07:52 AM   #52
fatcity
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Battery Park
Posts: 7,252
vCash: 1825
Default Re: Worst world tile reigns by British fighters?

There have been a few pathetic "champs",some mentioned here.No question that Cleverly leads the current pack of non performing "Chumpions".
fatcity is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:08 AM   #53
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Poorer place without Johnny Tapia
Posts: 9,597
vCash: 75
Default Re: Worst world tile reigns by British fighters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl-hickey View Post
Kevin Mitchell, because anyone with half a brain knew he'd choke, it was an ok win. not a good win at all for world title fight. an ok win.

as for the rest of your argument it seems to be that "It's ok to have a poor resume because so does vazquez"

That's nonsense.

Burns has fought too many stupid, pointless padding fights, and his best wins are average, Shot Katsidis, Average Moses, and Kevin Mitchell

You can make exuses for reasons that better fights didnt get made, but that doesnt improve Burns' resume, it excuses it, which isn't the point of this thread

for the record I like Ricky Burns and i'd give him a good shot against Broner and Vazquez

Also, I never called Burns "one of the worst" I just said it was bad, which it is
You're backing up a post which mentions him as one of the worst,which is the whole point of the thread.If you feel his inclusion is unjustified here,you should say so,not back it up.
PityTheFool is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:54 AM   #54
glue glove
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,738
vCash: 500
Default Re: Worst world tile reigns by British fighters?

How was Steve Robinson's reign?
glue glove is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:00 AM   #55
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Poorer place without Johnny Tapia
Posts: 9,597
vCash: 75
Default Re: Worst world tile reigns by British fighters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by glue glove View Post
How was Steve Robinson's reign?
Fairly typical of early WBO reigns but a million miles from being on this list.
Off the top of my head I can think of him beating Colin McMillan(remember the hype around him??) and Duke McKenzie,which should be enough to keep him safe from this dreaded chart.
PityTheFool is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:37 AM   #56
Decy
Barely Coherent
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Co Donegal
Posts: 1,772
vCash: 75
Default Re: Worst world tile reigns by British fighters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PityTheFool View Post
Fairly typical of early WBO reigns but a million miles from being on this list.
Off the top of my head I can think of him beating Colin McMillan(remember the hype around him??) and Duke McKenzie,which should be enough to keep him safe from this dreaded chart.
Ironic that someone who has often been called our worst world champ had far from the worst reign as champ.
Decy is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 09:51 AM   #57
BlackBrenny
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 6,470
vCash: 75
Default Re: Worst world tile reigns by British fighters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decy View Post
Ironic that someone who has often been called our worst world champ had far from the worst reign as champ.
He unfairly got that reputation based on his less than stellar win-loss record, he was far from the worst champ with the worst reign, I remember someone brought him up in a general forum thread as one of the worst champions OF ALL TIME! I had to jump right on that
BlackBrenny is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:23 AM   #58
AlFrancis
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Granada, Spain.
Posts: 4,172
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Worst world tile reigns by British fighters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PityTheFool View Post
Fairly typical of early WBO reigns but a million miles from being on this list.
Off the top of my head I can think of him beating Colin McMillan(remember the hype around him??) and Duke McKenzie,which should be enough to keep him safe from this dreaded chart.
And Paul Hodkinson!
AlFrancis is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:25 AM   #59
kosaros
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 13,328
vCash: 999
Default Re: Worst world tile reigns by British fighters?

I'm surprised Bruno hasn't been mentioned yet.
kosaros is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 10:56 AM   #60
Boxalot
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 1,047
vCash: 500
Default Re: Worst world tile reigns by British fighters?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PityTheFool View Post
In fact let's put this on record Earl.I'm sure it'll come in handy in the future.

You're saying that on a thread detailing the worst reigns by British "world"champions,Ricky Burns deserves a place?
If that's what he's saying, then i absolutely agree.

His SFW reign contained 3 title defences. One was against a 14 fight novice, the other against a bloke with a 14-4 record and the final one was against a shot, injured Nicky Cook who had a ****ed back. That is horrific. I'd be appalled at that if it were a Commonwealth title reign.
Boxalot is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013