Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 02-02-2008, 02:51 PM   #31
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Fighters You Find It Hard To Respect...

I lost any respect I had for Bernard Hopkins for his use of racism to promote his fight coming up with Calzaghe. RACISM IS RACISM IS RACISM......
red cobra is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-2008, 02:55 PM   #32
Titan1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

DLH-Don't really dislike him, but this one fight a year crap has got to stop.
Titan1 is offline  Top
Old 02-02-2008, 03:02 PM   #33
janitor
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by radianttwilight
Wladimir Klitschko - weak jaw, prone to panic, boring-ass style, seems to only get by due to sheer size.

Floyd Mayweather Jr. - complete asshole, gets overrated by many boxing fans, avoided best competition by moving up through weight classes and cherrypicking.

Manny Pacquiao - same deal as PBF. Loses to the only non-shot version of Morales he fights. Beats a good Barrera the first time but looks very unimpressive against an old survival-mode Barrera in 2007. Gets thoroughly embaressed by Marquez.

Larry Holmes - I give him his due, but I really dislike the man for the shit he started pulling in the early/mid 1980s.

James Toney - steroid abuse, WAY too many split decisions, came out on top in too many fights that he should've lost IMO.

James Jeffries - fails to dominate an ancient super middle in Fitz (even though he eventually won), comes back out of retirement to get trashed by the hands-down best guy he fought. I can't justify placing him top 5 ATG heavyweights, and have a very hard time putting him in the top 10.

Lennox Lewis - I find him overrated. Caught up with alot of the 1980s guys past prime and somehow gets alot of props for finishing them, in fact all of the best guys he fought were far past their prime - only Klitschko and Tua (who aren't even that great in my book) were prime, good contenders. Anybody who shows up out of shape twice and gets cold****ed both times (by McCall and Rahman no less) is overrated in my book.

Sugar Ray Leonard - overrated in my book. Very opportunistic in picking fights, I thought he lost Hagler and Hearns II. Got extra credit for showboating too much.

Just a few that stand out...
Somtimes the fighters who are the grade A assholes in public are the better human beings in private.

Likewise the clasiest guys in public can be prety vile human beings behind closed doors.

Something you have to consider.
janitor is offline  Top
Old 02-02-2008, 03:28 PM   #34
radianttwilight
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by janitor
Somtimes the fighters who are the grade A assholes in public are the better human beings in private.

Likewise the clasiest guys in public can be prety vile human beings behind closed doors.

Something you have to consider.
On second thought, I'm cutting my list down to just one.

Lennox Lewis - Anybody who shows up out of shape twice and gets cold****ed both times (by McCall and Rahman no less) is not a top 5 ATG.

radianttwilight is offline  Top
Old 02-02-2008, 05:57 PM   #35
heerko koois
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Sven Ottke .....this guy is a non-boxer....
heerko koois is offline  Top
Old 02-02-2008, 06:34 PM   #36
Duodenum
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
Eh?
On the tombstone of Jesse James is the epitaph by his mother Zelda: "Murdered by a traitor and coward whose name is not worthy to appear here." Such is the case of Billy Collins, Jr. (Even seeing the name of that poor kid's final opponent turns my stomach. We should only make oblique references to the eternally undefeated contender's killers.)
Duodenum is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2008, 09:57 PM   #37
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by radianttwilight
Larry Holmes - I give him his due, but I really dislike the man for the shit he started pulling in the early/mid 1980s.

Lennox Lewis - I find him overrated. Caught up with alot of the 1980s guys past prime and somehow gets alot of props for finishing them, in fact all of the best guys he fought were far past their prime - only Klitschko and Tua (who aren't even that great in my book) were prime, good contenders. Anybody who shows up out of shape twice and gets cold****ed both times (by McCall and Rahman no less) is overrated in my book.

Sugar Ray Leonard - overrated in my book. Very opportunistic in picking fights, I thought he lost Hagler and Hearns II. Got extra credit for showboating too much.

Just a few that stand out...
What did Holmes pull that is worth mentioning in the early 80's?

Leonard did show boat too much, but he also proved that he could get down and gritty if need be. He admited the he didn't deserve the nod against Hearns.

Last edited by OLD FOGEY; 01-28-2007 at 05:55 PM.
Bill1234 is offline  Top
Old 02-04-2008, 10:24 PM   #38
Mike T
Contender
ESB Senior Member

James Butler...a true piece of shit!
Mike T is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2008, 03:57 AM   #39
Sonny's jab

vCash:

Perhaps the greatest fighter p4p of all-time : Sugar Ray Robinson.
It's hard to respect a man who unloads combinations on his pregnant wide 'til she has a miscarriage, beats the crap out of her in front of his son.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:54 AM   #40
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
For one reason or another.

Regardless of what James Toney's accomplished, I find it hard to respect the guy sometimes.

In between the steroids, weight issues, street thuggery act, the robbery against McCallum...

His claim to fame being, in some peoples eyes, getting lucky against a slipping, on drugs Nunn after being schooled the entire fight.

Eh.

You?
I'm with you on James Toney.

I might get in some trouble for saying this, but I never liked Roberto Duran in or out of the ring as much as others did. Duran was the lone top guy I can think of that quit without an injury and was KO'd by one punch. While Duran's skills were very good ( best at light weight ) , I find him over rated as a puncher, and sometimes dirty.

Others I find hard to respect are Jack Johnson in and out of the ring. Out of the ring Johnson was a man who beat up women, broke the law, and did not give a darn about anyone but himself. In the ring, Johnson is wildly over rated and can be seen hugging supper middle weights, and struggling to look good vs 2nd raters.

Roy Jones. Jones in my opinion was too shrewd of a person when it came to picking fights, backed out of many fights, got royalty treatment form the boxing organizations, got caught and admitted through his attorney in using a banned substance, breeds and kills animals for sport, and is too full of himself. Its too bad he didn't fight Lewis or Klitschko at heavyweight.

Andrew Golota. A dirty and cheap fighter, who quit, went low un-purpose, bite, and head butted. Goltoa was the only fighter I've ever seen throw low blow combinations. I do not understand why this guy has had so many title shots.

John Ruiz. A virtually un-watchable fighter, who jabbed, clinched and bitched his way to win a world title shot. Ruiz was the poster boy for what was wrong with heavyweight boxing. He also lost to two blown up middle weights, NC's / Roids non-withstanding. Ruiz was a promoters pet, and seemed to get favorable judging, and referring. It is too bad this guy wasn't matched vs more guys like David Tua.
Mendoza is online now  Top
Old 02-05-2008, 06:56 AM   #41
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118

Wait, Roy was into dog fighting?
Russell is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2008, 06:59 AM   #42
Russell
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 118

And I agree...

Great as Duran was, he could be a real asshole. Not a likable one either.
Russell is offline  Top
Old 02-05-2008, 07:08 AM   #43
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher33
Wlad Klitschko, I cant stand him. He has top 5 worst chins by a title holder I have ever seen, he's been down 11 times by 6 different oppenents, and has also been TKO'd 3 times by 2 journeymen and a club fighter. I feel the only reason he looks so great, is because the Heavyweight division is extremely weak and seriously lacks alot of talent in the top ranks. If Wlads prime was in the 90s, he wouldnt last long, his chin would get more exposure than Paris Hiltons *****.

Punisher,

Is three TKO losses at heavyweight in 52 fight that bad? I think not. If you are honest with yourself, you will take note that many all time greats at heavyweights were knocked out more frequently and in some case by lesser punchers. Brewster and Sanders hit very hard. So does Peter who fouled his way to two knockdowns.

Which two journeymen defeated Wlad? The way I see it he only lost to one journeyman when he was 22 year old kid. The other two were Ring Magazine ranked heavies who could hit a ton, and were world champions.

I do not know why Wlad remains a polarizing boxer. His skills are very good, he comes into his fights in shape, and he is active for a heavyweight champion.

Outside the ring Wlad is a credit to boxing. I think Wald is entering his prime right now, and you are just going to have to accept him as the #1 heavyweight. If things break right for Wlad, he could be the Ring Magazine fighter of the year if he unifies 3 belts or more.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:15 AM   #44
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:
Wait, Roy was into dog fighting?
Jones was into **** fighting, which I think is still legal in one or two states. Jones breed, housed and kept the animals. It is likely he placed illegal bets too.

To force animals to fight, maim and kill each other for entertainment is something I am very against. It would not surprise me one iota if Jones attended dog fighting matches. He's they type of person who would. I remember a while back HBO had Roy Jones twin sons at ring side, and judging by what HBO said Jones was just starting to take them back into his life. IMO, Jones seems a bit racy behind the mike too.

I respect Jones a lot in the ring, and view him as an all time middle or light heavy. Outside of the ring, I cannot stand this person.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:16 AM   #45
Sonny's jab

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendoza
Punisher,

Is three TKO losses at heavyweight in 52 fight that bad? I think not. If you are honest with yourself, you will take note that many all time greats at heavyweights were knocked out more frequently and in some case by lesser punchers. Brewster and Sanders hit very hard. So does Peter who fouled his way to two knockdowns.

Which two journeymen defeated Wlad? The way I see it he only lost to one journeyman when he was 22 year old kid. The other two were Ring Magazine ranked heavies who could hit a ton, and were world champions.

I do not know why Wlad remains a polarizing boxer. His skills are very good, he comes into his fights in shape, and he is active for a heavyweight champion.

Outside the ring Wlad is a credit to boxing. I think Wald is entering his prime right now, and you are just going to have to accept him as the #1 heavyweight. If things break right for Wlad, he could be the Ring Magazine fighter of the year if he unifies 3 belts or more.
How do you think he's going to do against Ibragimov ?

Last edited by cuchulain; 01-29-2007 at 06:27 AM.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum