Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 11-06-2012, 03:27 PM   #31
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Re: chad dawson v tony bellew

Bellew is a really skilled operator, with bags of natural talent.

His weaknesses for me are his stamina - easily fixed, move up to 190-195lbs, and his tendency to go into kill or survive mode, without much inbetween.

In his early fights he was trying to behead the opponent with every shot, against Ovil in the rematch he fought like a girl. At times he struggles to get into the groove.

If he'd turned pro younger and/or (or both!) been more active we'd likely see the very best of him.

He's certainly more skilled than Cleverly, but as yet (like Dawson) he's not become the sum of his parts, whereas Cleverly has to a greater extent - despite underachieving in the last 18 months.

What annoys me about Cleverly is that once Dean Powell had sorted the corner out against Murat he was like a terminator, awesome to watch. Against Karpency he looked like he was firing blanks. Not punching properly, brutal footwork etc.
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-2012, 03:31 PM   #32
JFT96
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallworkjake123 View Post
Bellew is good, but the way you said "someone who is as skilled as Bellew" sounds like your saying Bellew has Andre Ward level talent. Cleverly is just as, if not more talented than Bellew, and he wouldn't stand a chance against Dawson.

And you can't seriously be comparing Calzaghe to Bellew? Yes Calzaghe's resume was thin before he fought Eubank, but he showed a LOT more talent than Bellew currently does.
Did he? I can't remember him beating anyone as good as Miranda as a prospect. Anyway, you're twisting my words again. I didn't mean to make a direct comparison between Bellew and Calzaghe. I used Joe as an example of how not having the wins on your record doesn't stop you beating someone who does.

I didn't intend to say Bellew was on the level of Ward when talking about how skilled he is. I don't think you need to be to beat Dawson; Pascal certainly isn't and I think Bellew could reach and even surpass his level.
JFT96 is offline  Top
Old 11-06-2012, 03:36 PM   #33
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeston Brawler View Post
Bellew is a really skilled operator, with bags of natural talent.

His weaknesses for me are his stamina - easily fixed, move up to 190-195lbs, and his tendency to go into kill or survive mode, without much inbetween.

In his early fights he was trying to behead the opponent with every shot, against Ovil in the rematch he fought like a girl. At times he struggles to get into the groove.

If he'd turned pro younger and/or (or both!) been more active we'd likely see the very best of him.

He's certainly more skilled than Cleverly, but as yet (like Dawson) he's not become the sum of his parts, whereas Cleverly has to a greater extent - despite underachieving in the last 18 months.

What annoys me about Cleverly is that once Dean Powell had sorted the corner out against Murat he was like a terminator, awesome to watch. Against Karpency he looked like he was firing blanks. Not punching properly, brutal footwork etc.
It's the difference between listening to someone who knows what they're talking about and your dad.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 11-06-2012, 03:36 PM   #34
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

Exactly JFT.

Pascal ain't all that.

Anyone with a jab and a decent chin ought to handle him.

Fun to watch and seems a great guy, but he's exhausted after about six rounds and lacks ring intelligence.
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Old 11-06-2012, 03:46 PM   #35
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeston Brawler View Post
Exactly JFT.

Pascal ain't all that.

Anyone with a jab and a decent chin ought to handle him.

Fun to watch and seems a great guy, but he's exhausted after about six rounds and lacks ring intelligence.
The difference between how Hopkins handled Pascal and Dawson didn't supports that. If you can move, jab a bit and work the body, you can beat Pascal. All Froch needed to do after a competitive start was keep it at range and control the younger, faster man.

Dawson is a disaster technically, but Bellew wouldn't be able to deal with his spurts of activity, since he fades dramatically himself.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 11-06-2012, 03:59 PM   #36
Hamas
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Dawson looked abysmal against Ward (weight drained admittedly) but anyway, he's not the sum of his parts and has the same problem his long time trainer Eddie Gregory had and he's kept it no matter who trains him: falling to sleep for rounds.
Its eddie mustafa muhammad , come on flea
Hamas is offline  Top
Old 11-06-2012, 06:02 PM   #37
DOM5153
They Cannot Run Forever
East Side Guru

vCash: 7562

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennison View Post
He said in the interview that they've seen how to beat Dawson now and he fancies it
punch him in the face really hard?
DOM5153 is offline  Top
Old 11-06-2012, 06:12 PM   #38
wallworkjake123
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFT96 View Post
Did he? I can't remember him beating anyone as good as Miranda as a prospect. Anyway, you're twisting my words again. I didn't mean to make a direct comparison between Bellew and Calzaghe. I used Joe as an example of how not having the wins on your record doesn't stop you beating someone who does.

I didn't intend to say Bellew was on the level of Ward when talking about how skilled he is. I don't think you need to be to beat Dawson; Pascal certainly isn't and I think Bellew could reach and even surpass his level.
We'll just have to agree to disagree then.

I do think Bellew beats Cleverly in a rematch, haven't seen much of Shumenov, so can't comment on a Bellew/Shumenov fight. Cloud would KO him IMO, there was a moment in the Miranda fight where he landed a big barrage of power punchers, imagine if that was Cloud?

Dawson and Hopkins both too skilled, and Pascal too fast and powerful.

He'd beat fellow contender Murat though, but not Campillo.
wallworkjake123 is offline  Top
Old 11-06-2012, 06:23 PM   #39
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamas View Post
Its eddie mustafa muhammad , come on flea
To be honest with you it's just shorter to write on my iPhone. And what with all the fights I've seen and old reports I've read on him, it's not a slur on my part.

Check my posting history I've bothered to write Mustafa Muhammad many times. Saad is shorter than Franklin. Ali shorter than Clay. Eddie Mustafa just doesn't sound right.

Just so you know, I wasn't being rude or making a statement about religion.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 11-06-2012, 07:52 PM   #40
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

TBH Bellew will sooner rather then later have to venture back into world title fights and Dawson who knows. Could well be damaged goods after that loss to Ward, It may have really knocked him back.

Not sure how Tony comes to conclusion about there's now a blueprint on how to beat Chad when Ward is a totally different fighter and Pascal also beat Chad. But good to see he's believing in himself to get there and i think he'd do himself justice.

Think if Chad comes back well from defeat he beats Tony. Dawson for all his critics is still a good fighter.
SkillspayBills is offline  Top
Old 11-06-2012, 08:29 PM   #41
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

vCash: 2500

Bellew.

Not bias or licking his balls cos he posts on here either. People coming out with that just to try to seem cool are just as annoying as these that supposedly suck up to him.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 11-06-2012, 08:34 PM   #42
SouthpawJab
On his way up!! 4-0!!
ESB Addict

vCash: 462

You never know how a guy responds after being KO'd. Dawson before the KO doesn't lose a round. Now? Who knows?
SouthpawJab is offline  Top
Old 11-07-2012, 03:16 AM   #43
Earl-hickey
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 765

i think Dawson's chin might be gone..
Earl-hickey is offline  Top
Old 11-07-2012, 03:20 AM   #44
TobyJacobs

I met Tony a well nice guy. He beats Dawson
TobyJacobs is offline  Top
Old 11-07-2012, 04:31 AM   #45
flatulent_bob
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 498

Quote:
Originally Posted by TobyJacobs View Post
I met Tony a well nice guy. He beats Dawson
Because he's a nice guy and you've met him?

I think it could be a real quality fight, and I'm just hoping it actually get made.
flatulent_bob is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum