Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 11-20-2012, 01:19 PM   #1
Champions 1966

vCash: 500
Default What can I do at home to improve?

I've just started boxing this week at my local gym and learning the basics etc but I want to know what I can do at home to improve and therefore speed up the learning process? I don't have a bag or even gloves at home but do you think even things like punching the air consistently could help improve my speed etc? Looking for any tips for someone just starting. Cheers!
Champions 1966 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2012, 01:34 PM   #2
Niall_Tucker94

Default Re: What can I do at home to improve?

well the way i train at home is do body weight exercises but do them fast and explosive because it will make you faster and explosive

When throwing you punches to tech don't rush when doing it. just throw the 1-2 combo just to get it down to basics. down throw hook yet and ask you coach you coach is the most important person to talk to aswell as fighters

Move around aswell to get use to it
Niall_Tucker94 is offline  Top
Old 11-20-2012, 03:00 PM   #3
evo8464

as James Toney always says, you should shadowbox three rounds everyday to keep you sharp
evo8464 is offline  Top
Old 11-20-2012, 03:12 PM   #4
Niall_Tucker94

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo8464 View Post
as James Toney always says, you should shadowbox three rounds everyday to keep you sharp
thats very true
Niall_Tucker94 is offline  Top
Old 11-20-2012, 04:12 PM   #5
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niall_Tucker94 View Post
well the way i train at home is do body weight exercises but do them fast and explosive because it will make you faster and explosive

When throwing you punches to tech don't rush when doing it. just throw the 1-2 combo just to get it down to basics. down throw hook yet and ask you coach you coach is the most important person to talk to aswell as fighters

Move around aswell to get use to it
Good answer
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 11-21-2012, 04:09 AM   #6
NVSemin
Sugar Boxing
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Champions 1966 View Post
I've just started boxing this week at my local gym and learning the basics etc but I want to know what I can do at home to improve and therefore speed up the learning process? I don't have a bag or even gloves at home but do you think even things like punching the air consistently could help improve my speed etc? Looking for any tips for someone just starting. Cheers!
I saw some documentary on cuban fighters. The documentary was american. The main point was that the training routine is not much different from the US, but the cuban train harder and more often. Hope it helps, it is all about hard work and dedication
NVSemin is offline  Top
Old 11-21-2012, 06:19 PM   #7
BagsWithDust
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Just shadow box from time to time and get a feel of your style. What i usually do at home is watch lots of boxing videos and see what the greats did and how they made it work for them
BagsWithDust is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2012, 06:38 AM   #8
NVSemin
Sugar Boxing
ESB Jr Member

there is no speed up unfortunately...

But if you mess up fundamentals, it does not matter how many trick you learn, how well is your conditioning / punching power / even hand speed...you will stay crappy fighter.

So better polish fundamentals as often as possible: stance, guards (elbows tights, hand high), balance, distance control. There are some more, just give you the idea...
NVSemin is offline  Top
Old 11-22-2012, 07:39 AM   #9
Kill a B
Journeyman

vCash: 830

Shadow boxing and rope skipping. Also strength & conditioning training.

I recommend starting it very slowly and steadily, just like Niall_Tucker said. You can go round after round just practicing footwork (keeping your stance, keep your hands positioned right, keep your weight close to the center when moving, take small steps etc) and practicing simple 1-3 punch combinations. The foundation is of great importance, so don't rush in to it and try to go as fast as Pacquiao!

As for strength and conditioning, I recommend to check out Ross Enamait's "Never Gymless"-book.
Kill a B is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing