Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 11-08-2012, 03:04 PM   #31
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Re: Who was better P4P in their prime Roy Jones Jr or Sugar Ray Leonard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotime View Post
Hopkins had a chance at a rematch in early 2000s, and he declined a career high payday. I don't see it going any different, why do you think Hopkins moved up almost instantaneously after Jones went 0-2 against Tarver?

Pretty transparent....

Roy Boys out of control. I can't knock him personally, though.

Where the **** is Metal Mandible?
Hands of Iron is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2012, 03:24 PM   #32
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Default Re: Who was better P4P in their prime Roy Jones Jr or Sugar Ray Leonard?

Very close. Jones for pure ability IMO, Ray more technically correct and with far better opposition. Jones a freak with a few very, very good wins. I tend to think Roy's feet would've kept him out of trouble against equivalent middleweights to Ray's Welters, although the only equivalent middles in ability would be smaller than Roy. Against light heavyweights greats I'm not as certain he'd be infallible, but he'd still be very successful.

Neck and neck because of their different pro's and con's.

For overall 'greatness' Ray is a good ten or 15 places above Jones on my list. His loss to Camacho is equally embarrassing as Jones' worst late career loss (Green IMO)
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 11-08-2012, 03:24 PM   #33
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP

vCash: 816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokaj View Post
No one is. Toney was inconsistent even in his prime, but when did any other fighter do whatever he liked with Toney like that? Even with a fat Toney in his 40's?
Good point. He was inconsistent as ****. Toney would have made an excuse after Jones clowned him ANYTIME they fought. He was full of excuses even in close fights.
turbotime is offline  Top
Old 11-08-2012, 03:25 PM   #34
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP

vCash: 816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands of Iron View Post
Roy Boys out of control. I can't knock him personally, though.

Where the **** is Metal Mandible?
**** that guy, must have ran out of Roy bashing material
turbotime is offline  Top
Old 11-08-2012, 03:30 PM   #35
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru

Listen, Roy Jones can be the "most dominant, mr. unstoppable, mr. undroppable" whatever the **** you want him to be. He edges it, alright. But let's not bullshit and pretend he's a different level of fighter than a Leonard, Robinson, Whitaker, Duran, who are all also greater.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:31 PM   #36
KuRuPT
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

In terms of pure raw athleticism.. Roy... In terms of mixing technical skill with athleticism better.. SRL imo

That said, I think Roy is more dominate and better h2h fighter at his best weight than SRL at his best weight... take that for what you will
KuRuPT is offline  Top
Old 11-08-2012, 03:32 PM   #37
dyna
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1551

This isn't about resume so the award goes to Roy
dyna is offline  Top
Old 11-08-2012, 03:35 PM   #38
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Listen, Roy Jones can be the "most dominant, mr. unstoppable, mr. undroppable" whatever the **** you want him to be. He edges it, alright. But let's not bullshit and pretend he's a different level of fighter than a Leonard, Robinson, Whitaker, Duran, who are all also greater.
I agree 100% and I maintain Roy is the best I've ever seen on film.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 11-08-2012, 03:44 PM   #39
dyna
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1551

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotime View Post
His countering and leading are as close to perfect as any other fighter as far as meshing it with offense and defense. He could make you miss just by a hair, and drop you on your ass with the first counter thrown.

Or lead with ridiculously powerful hooks and right hands, and step to the side and hit you again, and again. Amazing.
Roy is one of the few fighters that could even win against the best without a jab.

Ofcourse he could also jab.

Ruiz-Jones became a jab battle after Ruiz learned Roy could hurt him.
dyna is offline  Top
Old 11-08-2012, 03:57 PM   #40
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
I agree 100% and I maintain Roy is the best I've ever seen on film.
x2

I'm a bit reluctant to call Roy "the best on film" due to his flaws, though. But if we by "best" mean most superior and closest to untouchable, I think it's a pretty fitting description. At least for prime Jones. He dropped off more quickly than most other ATGs, largely because of those flaws.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 11-08-2012, 04:03 PM   #41
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

That's fair, I mean at his best he was the best I've ever seen. 'Untouchable' is fair but not literal althogh he was as elusive as anyone I've seen.

I don't think you have to be fundamentally correct to be the best at boxing. Not if you're that good.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 11-08-2012, 04:05 PM   #42
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru

He's in the top five (no set order) with Manos, Pea, SRR and SRL. For me, anyway. There's a good group of fighters who could be considered for making the cut that others would place there. It's an individual opinion, that's all.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:09 PM   #43
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

He's right up there with Chang, Duran, Robinson for me.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 11-08-2012, 04:26 PM   #44
bodhi
So I can die easy ...
East Side Guru

vCash: 1337

Leonard, more complete and better mentality.
bodhi is offline  Top
Old 11-08-2012, 04:27 PM   #45
lufcrazy
requiescat in pace
East Side VIP

vCash: 330

in terms of skillset, Jones Jr.
lufcrazy is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum