boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2012, 10:53 AM   #1
freddieMaize
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 487
vCash: 75
Default 5KM running race at office

Hello Mates,

How are you doing?

At my office there is going to be a 5KM race. I run a 5X400m on a daily basis before I go to my boxing gym. Its been a very long while since I ran a 5KM stretch. Moreover I run only in a stadium and not road work.

How do you think I should conquer? What is the average good time to compete 5KM? so I can target it and see where I stand everyday starting tomorrow.

The race is on 3rd of Nov.

Thanks.
freddieMaize is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-26-2012, 11:28 AM   #2
Brand NOOBian
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 201
vCash: 500
Default Re: 5KM running race at office

I can run 5km in about 30 min, and I'm a slow runner, so I'm sure anything better than that is a good starting point.
Brand NOOBian is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:31 PM   #3
Boxed
newbie
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 19
vCash: 500
Default Re: 5KM running race at office

If you're keen i'd run the 5k every other day, and just try to beat the time of your previous run. If you start today you could get 5 runs in before the 5th.
Anything under 21min is fairly respectable
Boxed is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:41 PM   #4
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,757
vCash: 1000
Default Re: 5KM running race at office

Try 14 laps at 75% effort a couple of times. Dont push it, Enjoy it.
scrap is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 12:57 PM   #5
Speechless
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 866
vCash: 500
Default Re: 5KM running race at office

I did one of those with my office mates.
I did about 23 1/2 minutes. Which according to Boxed is NOT a respectable score....lol.
However, I do agree with his suggestion to get a few runs in.
I didn't train at all for mine. I just winged it, and found I started off way too slow in an effort to pace myself, and did the last stretch pretty fast in an effort to make up.
So if you're in any kind of shape, then you'll do fine.
But a few pre-runs will help you figure out your pacing.
Most of all, have fun - a 5k should be pretty easy and shouldn't be an overly competitive environment.
I think around 24 mins or less is OK.
Speechless is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:03 PM   #6
freddieMaize
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 487
vCash: 75
Default Re: 5KM running race at office

Thanks for the suggestions all.. Like I said, I run 2KM warm up before the boxing drills. So 5KM should not be much of a deal.

Let me check the time tomorrow. From above, looks like 20-25 mints is good to being with. Wish the first attempt is below 20 minutes. Lets see..
freddieMaize is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2012, 02:09 PM   #7
freddieMaize
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 487
vCash: 75
Default Re: 5KM running race at office

Quote:
Originally Posted by s**** View Post
Try 14 laps at 75% effort a couple of times. Dont push it, Enjoy it.
Sure s****.. I actually was planning to do 13 laps without full effort since I also have to do my boxing drills immediately after the running.. Then sparring is there.. So it might get tedious.

Could understand what you meant btw
freddieMaize is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 01:40 AM   #8
freddieMaize
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 487
vCash: 75
Default Re: 5KM running race at office

Turns out to be, I'm a terrible runner.
1st Lap - did not note it correctly,
2nd - 2:22
3rd - 2:25
4th - 2:29
5th - 2:33
6th - 2:38
7th - 2:38
8th - 2:40
9th - 2:45
10th - 2:42
11th - Did not run
12th - Did not run

I had to stop after 10th since I had to hit the gym as it was too late. Was tired too, to be honest, but definitely would have competed if it was only running.

I have taken 24 minutes for 9 laps (did 10) which is, 3.6 KM

Even if I bring it down to 2:40 for each lap then for 5KM its 30 minutes. Moreover I will have to run on the road. **** man.

Long way to go I guess.
freddieMaize is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 02:16 AM   #9
noobboxer_88
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Fort Dodge, IA USA
Posts: 105
vCash: 500
Default Re: 5KM running race at office

2 miles in 14 mins is considered respectable in the US army. thats a 7 min mile and 5 clicks is about 3 miles if memory suits me so 20-23 mins i'd say is fair.
noobboxer_88 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:51 AM   #10
Brand NOOBian
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 201
vCash: 500
Default Re: 5KM running race at office

If you have the Nike Running app, there's a setting to try and beat your personal records, one of them being "Fastest 5K Run". I usually run on the basic setting with no time/distance goals, so I never had it in mind to run faster than my previous runs. Today I tried to beat my best 5k (was actually 29:05), and I got it down to 26:32. Using this app (or a similar one) might be easier to record/monitor your progress than timing each lap.
Brand NOOBian is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 12:55 PM   #11
lifestylechoice
Everymothersdream
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bristol
Posts: 53
vCash: 500
Default Re: 5KM running race at office

Quote:
Originally Posted by freddieMaize View Post
Turns out to be, I'm a terrible runner.
1st Lap - did not note it correctly,
2nd - 2:22
3rd - 2:25
4th - 2:29
5th - 2:33
6th - 2:38
7th - 2:38
8th - 2:40
9th - 2:45
10th - 2:42
11th - Did not run
12th - Did not run

I had to stop after 10th since I had to hit the gym as it was too late. Was tired too, to be honest, but definitely would have competed if it was only running.

I have taken 24 minutes for 9 laps (did 10) which is, 3.6 KM

Even if I bring it down to 2:40 for each lap then for 5KM its 30 minutes. Moreover I will have to run on the road. **** man.

Long way to go I guess.
Next time try and make your last lap as quick as your first. Every lap time over the 9 (and its fair to guess 10) is slower than the last. Aim for 2.30 a lap every lap no exceptions. And then just do best effort on the last one if you've got anything left.

Taht way you'll have taken about 3 mins off and I bet you won't even find it any harder.

Then the next time aim for 2.25 or 2.28. You'd be suprised how quickly you can get your time down.
lifestylechoice is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 01:59 PM   #12
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,229
vCash: 1000
Default Re: 5KM running race at office

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifestylechoice View Post
Next time try and make your last lap as quick as your first. Every lap time over the 9 (and its fair to guess 10) is slower than the last. Aim for 2.30 a lap every lap no exceptions. And then just do best effort on the last one if you've got anything left.
I like how you just throw out "try and make your last lap as quick as your first" and "aim for 2.30 a lap every lap no exceptions" like it's easily doable by everyone. What you're telling him to aim for will take a bit of training, he only has around a week left to do this.

Anyway, if you're pushing yourself every lap how the hell can your last lap match up to your first?
viru§™ is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:21 PM   #13
lifestylechoice
Everymothersdream
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bristol
Posts: 53
vCash: 500
Default Re: 5KM running race at office

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post
I like how you just throw out "try and make your last lap as quick as your first" and "aim for 2.30 a lap every lap no exceptions" like it's easily doable by everyone. What you're telling him to aim for will take a bit of training, he only has around a week left to do this.

Anyway, if you're pushing yourself every lap how the hell can your last lap match up to your first?
Add distance running to the list of things you know **** all about. Look at the splits for any track runner or mile splits for marathon athletes and they will all generally aim for consitency with the exception of picking up the pace at the end. But heh what do they know compared to a elite competitor such as yourself?

Looking at the times he posted it doesn't take a genius to work out he went off too quick and this will always hurt your total time. If you think the key to running distances quick is to go max effort from the gun to the tape your clueless.

To the OP, apologies wasn't aware of the time constraints you were facing. Good luck with it.
lifestylechoice is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 02:35 PM   #14
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 4,229
vCash: 1000
Default Re: 5KM running race at office

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifestylechoice View Post
Add distance running to the list of things you know **** all about. Look at the splits for any track runner or mile splits for marathon athletes and they will all generally aim for consitency with the exception of picking up the pace at the end. But heh what do they know compared to a elite competitor such as yourself?

Looking at the times he posted it doesn't take a genius to work out he went off too quick and this will always hurt your total time. If you think the key to running distances quick is to go max effort from the gun to the tape your clueless.

To the OP, apologies wasn't aware of the time constraints you were facing. Good luck with it.
Wow. So many assumptions in one post. Seems somebodies upset.

It's pointless replying to you after you've put so many words in my mouth even though I only typed out a few lines.
viru§™ is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 03:02 PM   #15
lifestylechoice
Everymothersdream
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bristol
Posts: 53
vCash: 500
Default Re: 5KM running race at office

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post
Wow. So many assumptions in one post. Seems somebodies upset.

It's pointless replying to you after you've put so many words in my mouth even though I only typed out a few lines.
Pointless or you've got nothing to say? Please reply I'm always happy to learn more....
lifestylechoice is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2015