Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

View Poll Results: Where does this fight rank among GSP's greatest victories?
All things considered, it's his best win 6 13.95%
Top 3 23 53.49%
Top 5 9 20.93%
Outside his top 5 best wins 5 11.63%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-18-2012, 04:23 AM   #1
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

vCash: 177
Default How do you rate tonight's performance in terms of GSP's career-best fights?

It has to be at or near the top, surely.

With the quality of opponent, the cage rust, the injury concern, the overcoming of significant adversity, the emphatic manner of the win, it all adds up to being mighty impressive. Condit fought his ass off too, he showed up. He didn't underperform - he just ran into an awesome GSP performance.

But how impressive was it?

Where do you rank this fight, in terms of GSP's legacy fights in his career?

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-18-2012, 04:34 AM   #2
SuperHut
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 450
Default Re: How do you rate tonight's performance in terms of GSP's career-best fights?

The match with Conduit showed that GPS is just a one dimensional fighter who relies on athletic gifts over actual skill.

Tonight he looked like a Canadian version of Mark Coleman without the steroids.

Zero ability to finish, no submissions... hell, I dont even remember seeing GPS attempt or try to set up a submission.

But, physical fitness is the greatest asset in an athlete and GPS delivered in that department.
SuperHut is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 11:19 AM   #3
the_bigunit
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 785
Default Re: How do you rate tonight's performance in terms of GSP's career-best fights?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperHut View Post
The match with Conduit showed that GPS is just a one dimensional fighter who relies on athletic gifts over actual skill.

Zero ability to finish, no submissions... hell, I dont even remember seeing GPS attempt or try to set up a submission.

But, physical fitness is the greatest asset in an athlete and GPS delivered in that department.

So if St. Pierre didn't even "attempt or try to set up a submission," how are you to know he has "zero ability to finish."

the_bigunit is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 11:21 AM   #4
the_bigunit
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 785

Historically, Jon Fitch was and still is St. Pierre's greatest opponent. (Penn's best is at lightweight.)

But skill-wise -- Condit is definitely St. Pierre's top opposition. St. Pierre's win over Condit should be amongst his very best.
the_bigunit is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 12:16 PM   #5
196osh
Mendes Bros.
East Side Guru

vCash: 277

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperHut View Post

Athletic gifts over actual skill... wow....
196osh is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 12:23 PM   #6
BobDigi5060
East Side MMA
East Side Guru

vCash: 553

All things considered, it's his best win......

He came back from knee surgery, controlled a fight, and left CC with a vagina on the side of his head. But, the most impressive thing about last night was recovering from that kick to the head and grounding his opponent about a minute later.
BobDigi5060 is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 01:50 PM   #7
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Considering the layoff and opponent being a striking and submission risk I think it was quite good. I expected a clear victory simply because of the wrestling but I must admit GSP made it harder than it had to be. Immediately on the front foot and in the line of fire. Very un GSP like but credit ot him.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 03:50 PM   #8
Aaron Contreras
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Could be his best.
Aaron Contreras is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 04:36 PM   #9
chimba
Off the Somali Coast
East Side VIP

vCash: 800

Actually, not that impressive since He was abit gassed out there which is not the usual GSP.

Also, Condit have tons of heart and grit but He is abit overrated and not as great as advertised. Prime GSP would have had an easier time.

Condit got outstruck (besides that no look kick) and He was supposed to be a deadly MT fighter. He also couldnt stop a TD if his life depended on it. A LW BJ Penn at least managed to defend the TD before He gassed.

His BJJ is all to defend and stall, didnt came close to any subs.

Hendricks I think would be a tougher opponnent. This guy has the x factor, He touches you and its nite nite. I give him a good chance of putting the lights out of GSP.
chimba is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 04:45 PM   #10
CrimsonBeast
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Great win but not his best. Conduit was scared and his striking was poor even for somebody scared of a takedown. He kept trying that 1,2 kick combo and just happened to get lucky once because of the weird angle of the kick. He doesn't know how to throw a proper blow like Hendricks If sierra can KO gsp you know Hendricks is set to be ****ing champ

ha me and chimba agree on something for once
CrimsonBeast is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 04:53 PM   #11
HawkFan16
Unshot/In My Prime
ESB Addict

The best performance of GSP's career was when he took Hughes out in the rematch. What he did to Fitch was also really impressive.

Though he showed more vulnerability against Condit than he has in awhile, it was also GSP's return from a long layoff, and Condit was arguably his best opponent in a long, long time.

I'd say it was his third best win. I want to see my boy Hendricks get a crack at him. If anyone can take GSP out at 170, it's him. The Silva fight is a farce. That'd be like Floyd or Manny fighting Andre Ward.
HawkFan16 is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 05:51 PM   #12
sugarngold
RIDDUM
East Side Guru

vCash: 157

You'd have to rank it third behind his first win over Hughes and second win over Penn.
sugarngold is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 07:04 PM   #13
Haggis McJackass
Semi-neutralist Overseer
ESB Addict

vCash: 177

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimba View Post
Actually, not that impressive since He was abit gassed out there which is not the usual GSP.

Also, Condit have tons of heart and grit but He is abit overrated and not as great as advertised. Prime GSP would have had an easier time.

Condit got outstruck (besides that no look kick) and He was supposed to be a deadly MT fighter. He also couldnt stop a TD if his life depended on it. A LW BJ Penn at least managed to defend the TD before He gassed.

Hendricks I think would be a tougher opponnent. This guy has the x factor, He touches you and its nite nite. I give him a good chance of putting the lights out of GSP.
Jesus you don't expect much, do you.

GSP came back after an 18 month layoff from an injury that's one step down from career-ending. He jumped right into the cage against the top guy in the division, and won 4 rounds out of 5. Only lost the third round because of a flush headkick he didn't see coming at all, and then he fought his way out of big trouble and within a minute was back to controlling Condit and winning the round.

Condit fought his ass off at a high pace, was actively looking to win the fight every minute of every round, and would have been a very dangerous opponent for any welter. And as far as him not stopping GSP's takedowns - who does stop GSP's takedowns? If you name 3 guys in the history of the sport who have the best TDD, Penn is one of them.

And Condit did threaten with subs, but his problem was that GSP reacted to them as soon as they started. He didn't get caught in one because he is just that damned good.

And yeah, GSP gassed a little bit in the last round. But not enough that he didn't clearly win that round against a still-busy Condit. And when the fight ended, GSP was in top position raining down powerful punches on Condit's face. Spectacular performance IMO, and all things considered, if it wasn't his career-best performance it was right up there.

Agreed that Hendricks is a dangerous man though. He just has that x factor in his hands. If he lands one of his bombs flush I reckon he'd spark Anderson out with one shot, let alone GSP.

Haggis McJackass is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 07:44 PM   #14
Matt Ldn
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1885

I think that kick is overrated it was wild, landed high on the head and gsp didn't seem all that hurt at all, his eyes looked clear as he went down. I think there is a case for gsp winning even that round.

Good win regardless, its rare I make a correct prediction so I'm going to stick to my guns and say I am unsurprised that gsp made it that clear as he simply is an amazing mixed martial artist (Despite his lack of desire to finish)
Matt Ldn is offline  Top
Old 11-18-2012, 08:49 PM   #15
rusty nails
Tszyu for PM!!
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimba View Post

christ almighty..
and condit is actually UNDERated
rusty nails is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum