Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 11-09-2012, 01:19 AM   #16
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Re: Greater Performance:Sumbu Kalambay Vs Mike McCallum I or Roy Jones Jr Vs James To

Nice to see everyone else is seeing both sides of the coin and that, all in all, it's hard to pick one outright as the 'superior' win.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2012, 01:39 AM   #17
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Greater Performance:Sumbu Kalambay Vs Mike McCallum I or Roy Jones Jr Vs James To

Really good question, Flea.

One the hand RJJ-Toney was a total domination, while Kalambay-McCallum was more a wide decision and very comfortable win. But on the other, McCallum was a much more consistent performer than Toney and had of course no problems making weight. Just like Toney he did look more sluggish and slow to get off than usual, though. Always hard to say how much that has to do with the opponent, but looking at the rematch I'd have to say McCallum probably had a bit of an off-night.

Still, not even Jones himself beat an absolute shell of McCallum more clearly than Kalambay did the prime version. That says something of just how good Kalambay's perfomance was.

I really can't say here. It's that close. Have to mull it over some.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 11-09-2012, 01:42 AM   #18
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokaj View Post
Really good question, Flea.

One the hand RJJ-Toney was a total domination, while Kalambay-McCallum was more a wide decision and very comfortable win. But on the other, McCallum was a much more consistent performer than Toney and had of course no problems making weight. Just like Toney he did look more sluggish and slow to get off than usual, though. Always hard to say how much that has to do with the opponent, but looking at the rematch I'd have to say McCallum probably had a bit of an off-night.

Still, not even Jones himself beat an absolute shell of McCallum more clearly than Kalambay did the prime version. That says something of just how good Kalambay's perfomance was.

I really can't say here. It's that close. Have to mull it over some.
I wouldn't say he had an off night per se, maybe not quite aware of how good Sumbu was, but seeing as how close Kalambay came in the 2nd fight I'd say at his very best he'd edge McCallum regardless.

But yeah, thought it would be an interesting thread because each fight has different plus points. What I've bolded is a very interesting point.

I think Roy took it a bit easy on Mike admittedly, but still, valid point and thanks for bringing it up.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 11-09-2012, 01:49 AM   #19
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
I wouldn't say he had an off night per se, maybe not quite aware of how good Sumbu was, but seeing as how close Kalambay came in the 2nd fight I'd say at his very best he'd edge McCallum regardless.
I think he definitely underrated Sumbu. But then nobody outside Italy knew just how brilliant he was back then. Mike said that he and Futch worked out a crucial tactical adjustment before the rematch that helped him get the win.

Seeing how they both were aging at the time of the rematch I think they put on a fantastic show. One of my very favourite fights to watch, as you know. Even better than McCallum-Toney I.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 11-09-2012, 01:54 AM   #20
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bokaj View Post
I think he definitely underrated Sumbu. But then nobody outside Italy knew just how brilliant he was back then. Mike said that he and Futch worked out a crucial tactical adaption before the rematch that helped him get the win.

Seeing how they both were aging at the time of the rematch I think they put on a fantastic show. One of my very favourite fights to watch, as you know. Even better than McCallum-Toney I.
Started quicker that's for sure.

Feeling's mutual re: rematch. One of my favourite technical battles.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 11-09-2012, 04:41 AM   #21
Lester1583
Can you hear this?
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotime View Post
First and last time I've ever seen Toney legitimately intimidated in a boxing match.
I wouldn't say he was intimidated more like it was the only time Toney looked like he knew his great skills were totally useless in the fight.
Lester1583 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum