boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2012, 10:41 AM   #46
Longhhorn71
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,594
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Ever meet a champ?

Foreman, Curtis Cokes, Donald Curry, Gene Hatcher.....the guys who would be in the DFW, Austin, SA, Houston area at the Golden Gloves events.
Longhhorn71 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2012, 11:33 AM   #47
knockout artist
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,422
vCash: 2666
Default Re: Ever meet a champ?

I met Frank Bruno back in the 90's in Southend when he was doing pantomimes. Absolute gentleman, very friendly, spoke with him briefly and shook hands, he was a man mountain!
knockout artist is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:57 AM   #48
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,006
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Ever meet a champ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlFrancis View Post
Olivares is the man I want to meet and share a few drinks with.
He doesn't speak english, but is still a fun guy to see. He and Carlos Ortiz are both two of the most jolly fighters I've ever met.
Bill1234 is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:12 PM   #49
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,006
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Ever meet a champ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadcapMaxie View Post
Could people who are just mentioning the names give some more detail like what they were like?, how big were they? the circumstances etc. etc.

For somebody who has never met a champ it makes for very interesting reading.
Ruben Olivares, Carlos Ortiz, Michael Carbajal, and Humberto Gonzales are all about as small as one would likely expect. But all are very nice and fan friendly. Hard to imagine where the power came from with Olivares and Carbajal, both are skinny with small arms and legs, but wherever it came from, it came with force.

Larry Holmes, James Buster Douglas, and Ernie Terrell are all huge and obviously powerful men, even if they weren't known for being powerful.

Holmes and Terrell are both very easy to approach and very fan friendly. I've seen Holmes talk with fans for 20+ minutes and then move on to another and do the same.

Terrell was very nice and respectful, and provided interesting insight on the likes of Sonny Liston, Cleveland Williams, and some of the other big bangers of the 50s and 60s.

Douglas seemed like he could be a bit of a *****, but it's to my understanding that he was having a bad day when I met him so I can't really give him a fair judgement.

Brewster was not as big as I would think, but still a solid man. Extremely fan friendly and actually stopped and walked back a few feet on his own when he saw he didn't sign the thing I had. I didn't even say his name, he did it on his own.

Carmen Basilio was a riot. At 5'6, he obviously was not a big man, but still it was obvious, even in his 80s, that he was a very tough man.

Tony DeMarco was the same way, small, but obviously a guy who was not to be messed with.

Marvin Hagler, Sugar Ray Leonard, and Thomas Hearns all look the same size that they do on film. Hagler and Hearns have firm handshakes and seemed to be friendly. Leonard had an obvious ego and certain aura around him. I can see why Hagler is not fond of him.

Sergio Martinez and Vito Antuofermo are also guys that are about the same as they look on tv. Antuofermo is one of the meanest looking fellows I've ever seen, but he's actually a very friendly, talkative person with funny stories. Martinez is approachable and it's easy to see he's a genuinely friendly person who appreciates and enjoys the attention he gets.

Julio Cesar Chavez and Mike Tyson had the coldest stares out of anyone I've seen in person. Chavez and I made direct eye contact for a moment or two, and it felt as if he was staring into my soul. Very intense individual and his eyes give away the ferocity he showed in the ring. Chavez was a pretty small guy, but also obviously strong.

Mike Tyson was smaller than I expected. I knew he was only 5'10, but I expected him to broader. He's not even broad, really. Just a short (for a heavyweight), stocky guy who carried most of his weight in his legs, chest, and arms. He seemed to be in a good mood the day I saw him, but eye contact with him was just as fierce as it was with Chavez. Easy to see where people would be terrified during staredowns.

Although not champions, Ron Lyle, George Chuvalo, and Gerry ****ey are all very, very, very friendly and it's hard to imagine anyone not liking them.

Lyle wasn't as big as I would have expected, but he was still a very solid man who had obviously gone through many hardships.

George Chuvalo, even in his 70s, just exudes strength. He has no wrist, his arms just massive shoulders, massive biceps, and big forearms with large, meaty fists on the end of them. I think he could still take elite shots without budging.

Gerry ****ey was massive. Just an all around huge guy with a smile just as big. Very fun guy to be around.

Ray Mercer is a blast and is very funny. When he shook my hand I feared he might break it, though. Very firm handshake and his hand engulfed mine.

Alexis Arguello didn't speak much english, but he still showed a lot of respect towards fans and signed for ages. He was in very good shape and a true gentlemen. Hard to imagine him as a featherweight, though.

Jose Torres was nothing short of a class act. He and his wife were both very open and friendly to fans and signed for everyone. When he signed for me, I thanked him, he actually thanked me instead and said "My pleasure." It left a very good impression on me.

Micky Ward is a very humble and friendly man, but the toughness is obvious. Pretty mellow guy.

His brother ****y is apparently calmed down, but he still seems crazy to me. He and Micky both told some funny stories, though.

Lennox Lewis was huge, not as big as ****ey, but still huge. Like ****ey, looked every bit as powerful as he was. Definitely a man who could do some serious damage when he wanted.

Hector Camacho and Pernell Whitaker were both *****s. Camacho at least signed for like 5 minutes but did not converse and had no problem blowing people off. Whitaker blew everyone off and had no problem going more out of his way to avoid fans than it would have to simply say hi to a fan.

Greg Haugen litterally ran away from the fans. He rubbed me the wrong way and looked and acted like he was on drugs.

Marlon Starling is about average sized, but a very happy man. He's a bit quarky, but fun to talk with and willing to sign for anyone at anytime. He obviously appreciates the attention and fans.

Emile Griffith was in better (but declining) health when I met him. He was a nice guy but his aid was a bit of a jackass. The people around him were more stuck up than Emile was, and it looked like it bothered Emile a bit.

Barry McGuigan is a very small, but fit guy who is very nice. A very cool guy.

James "Buddy" McGirt is also small, but he's stocky and clearly a strong guy. When I think of "chill" I think of McGirt. He also genuinely cares about his fighters and fans and is willing to talk with everyone.

Chad Dawson is pretty mellow, but is friendly. Looks about the size that his tale of the tape says.

Paul Williams was a very friendly guy, very tall and lanky. Hard to imagine him fighting lower than middleweight, but it was obvious why guys had problems facing him.

I will post more later.
Bill1234 is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:55 PM   #50
Surf-Bat
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3,241
vCash: 500
Default Re: Ever meet a champ?

There's NO WAY I can top the detailed post that Bill1234 just put up. But if asked about specific fighters on my list I'll be happy to elaborate.
Surf-Bat is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:32 PM   #51
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Poorer place without Johnny Tapia
Posts: 9,602
vCash: 75
Default Re: Ever meet a champ?

I met Ken Buchanan and had a chat about Duran.He told me that he felt he would've had a good chance of winning with a better referee but he contradicted himself not lng after when I read him saying he lost fair and square.
I went to a dinner for Barrera and during the bquestions I asked him if he knew how Johnny Tapia was doing,I knew the question was lost on a lot of casual fans but at the end of the night,I went up to shake his hand and he said "Ah,Tapia!"
Then his translator told me he really appreciated the question because he gets asked the same questions all the time.
I was chuffed to say the least!
I've spoke with Ricky Burns several times,but only once since he won the belt and I wasn't surprised that he's exactly the same guy that he was after he lost to Johannson.
I'm sure if he goes onto build any sort of worthwhile legacy he'll always be the type of guy who never forgets where he came from.
Much as Ray's my #1,I'm not sure I'd like to meet him in case it clouded my view.
I like Axl Rose,but some heroes it's probably best you don't meet.
PityTheFool is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:40 PM   #52
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Poorer place without Johnny Tapia
Posts: 9,602
vCash: 75
Default Re: Ever meet a champ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1234 View Post
Ruben Olivares, Carlos Ortiz, Michael Carbajal, and Humberto Gonzales are all about as small as one would likely expect. But all are very nice and fan friendly. Hard to imagine where the power came from with Olivares and Carbajal, both are skinny with small arms and legs, but wherever it came from, it came with force.

Larry Holmes, James Buster Douglas, and Ernie Terrell are all huge and obviously powerful men, even if they weren't known for being powerful.

Holmes and Terrell are both very easy to approach and very fan friendly. I've seen Holmes talk with fans for 20+ minutes and then move on to another and do the same.

Terrell was very nice and respectful, and provided interesting insight on the likes of Sonny Liston, Cleveland Williams, and some of the other big bangers of the 50s and 60s.

Douglas seemed like he could be a bit of a *****, but it's to my understanding that he was having a bad day when I met him so I can't really give him a fair judgement.

Brewster was not as big as I would think, but still a solid man. Extremely fan friendly and actually stopped and walked back a few feet on his own when he saw he didn't sign the thing I had. I didn't even say his name, he did it on his own.

Carmen Basilio was a riot. At 5'6, he obviously was not a big man, but still it was obvious, even in his 80s, that he was a very tough man.

Tony DeMarco was the same way, small, but obviously a guy who was not to be messed with.

Marvin Hagler, Sugar Ray Leonard, and Thomas Hearns all look the same size that they do on film. Hagler and Hearns have firm handshakes and seemed to be friendly. Leonard had an obvious ego and certain aura around him. I can see why Hagler is not fond of him.

Sergio Martinez and Vito Antuofermo are also guys that are about the same as they look on tv. Antuofermo is one of the meanest looking fellows I've ever seen, but he's actually a very friendly, talkative person with funny stories. Martinez is approachable and it's easy to see he's a genuinely friendly person who appreciates and enjoys the attention he gets.

Julio Cesar Chavez and Mike Tyson had the coldest stares out of anyone I've seen in person. Chavez and I made direct eye contact for a moment or two, and it felt as if he was staring into my soul. Very intense individual and his eyes give away the ferocity he showed in the ring. Chavez was a pretty small guy, but also obviously strong.

Mike Tyson was smaller than I expected. I knew he was only 5'10, but I expected him to broader. He's not even broad, really. Just a short (for a heavyweight), stocky guy who carried most of his weight in his legs, chest, and arms. He seemed to be in a good mood the day I saw him, but eye contact with him was just as fierce as it was with Chavez. Easy to see where people would be terrified during staredowns.

Although not champions, Ron Lyle, George Chuvalo, and Gerry ****ey are all very, very, very friendly and it's hard to imagine anyone not liking them.

Lyle wasn't as big as I would have expected, but he was still a very solid man who had obviously gone through many hardships.

George Chuvalo, even in his 70s, just exudes strength. He has no wrist, his arms just massive shoulders, massive biceps, and big forearms with large, meaty fists on the end of them. I think he could still take elite shots without budging.

Gerry ****ey was massive. Just an all around huge guy with a smile just as big. Very fun guy to be around.

Ray Mercer is a blast and is very funny. When he shook my hand I feared he might break it, though. Very firm handshake and his hand engulfed mine.

Alexis Arguello didn't speak much english, but he still showed a lot of respect towards fans and signed for ages. He was in very good shape and a true gentlemen. Hard to imagine him as a featherweight, though.

Jose Torres was nothing short of a class act. He and his wife were both very open and friendly to fans and signed for everyone. When he signed for me, I thanked him, he actually thanked me instead and said "My pleasure." It left a very good impression on me.

Micky Ward is a very humble and friendly man, but the toughness is obvious. Pretty mellow guy.

His brother ****y is apparently calmed down, but he still seems crazy to me. He and Micky both told some funny stories, though.

Lennox Lewis was huge, not as big as ****ey, but still huge. Like ****ey, looked every bit as powerful as he was. Definitely a man who could do some serious damage when he wanted.

Hector Camacho and Pernell Whitaker were both *****s. Camacho at least signed for like 5 minutes but did not converse and had no problem blowing people off. Whitaker blew everyone off and had no problem going more out of his way to avoid fans than it would have to simply say hi to a fan.

Greg Haugen litterally ran away from the fans. He rubbed me the wrong way and looked and acted like he was on drugs.

Marlon Starling is about average sized, but a very happy man. He's a bit quarky, but fun to talk with and willing to sign for anyone at anytime. He obviously appreciates the attention and fans.

Emile Griffith was in better (but declining) health when I met him. He was a nice guy but his aid was a bit of a jackass. The people around him were more stuck up than Emile was, and it looked like it bothered Emile a bit.

Barry McGuigan is a very small, but fit guy who is very nice. A very cool guy.

James "Buddy" McGirt is also small, but he's stocky and clearly a strong guy. When I think of "chill" I think of McGirt. He also genuinely cares about his fighters and fans and is willing to talk with everyone.

Chad Dawson is pretty mellow, but is friendly. Looks about the size that his tale of the tape says.

Paul Williams was a very friendly guy, very tall and lanky. Hard to imagine him fighting lower than middleweight, but it was obvious why guys had problems facing him.

I will post more later.
Wonderfully informative post Bill.I've always wondered how Hopkins was to fans.Did you meet him?
PityTheFool is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 02:41 PM   #53
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Poorer place without Johnny Tapia
Posts: 9,602
vCash: 75
Default Re: Ever meet a champ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf-Bat View Post
There's NO WAY I can top the detailed post that Bill1234 just put up. But if asked about specific fighters on my list I'll be happy to elaborate.
Sorry SB.Never saw your post when I asked about Hopkins.
Also a big fan of McCallum and had him down as probably being quite friendly.
PityTheFool is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:04 PM   #54
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,006
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Ever meet a champ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PityTheFool View Post
Wonderfully informative post Bill.I've always wondered how Hopkins was to fans.Did you meet him?
No, I've never met him.
Bill1234 is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:05 PM   #55
AlFrancis
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Granada, Spain.
Posts: 4,388
vCash: 1000
Talking Re: Ever meet a champ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1234 View Post
He doesn't speak english, but is still a fun guy to see. He and Carlos Ortiz are both two of the most jolly fighters I've ever met.
That's alright Bill, i speak Spanish. I've got a new mate I play golf with from Distrito Federal, Mexico as well. I'm gonna learn a few Mexicanisms off him in preperation for when me and Ruben have a bevvie
AlFrancis is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:38 PM   #56
AlFrancis
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Granada, Spain.
Posts: 4,388
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Ever meet a champ?

delete
AlFrancis is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:54 PM   #57
BillB
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 947
vCash: 500
Default Re: Ever meet a champ?

Did anyone ever meet Howard Cosell?
BillB is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:05 PM   #58
Curtis Lowe
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,067
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Ever meet a champ?

Joe Frazier in either 1985 or 86 in Atlantic City. It was either at the Tyson-Zouski fight or J. Broad-Frazier fight, can't remember for sure.

I was surprise that Joe wasn't that big, I knew he wasn't a large heavy but I'm 5' 9"
and at the time about 175 and he didn't seem any bigger than me.
Curtis Lowe is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:54 AM   #59
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 4,006
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Ever meet a champ?

Aaron Pryor- Looks like a small, slightly overweight, angry man, but is actually pretty nice to fans. Seems to be physically damaged from boxing a bit.

Leon Spinks- Clearly took some damage from boxing, but is like a big goof. He's actually a pretty big guy, despite being small for a heavyweight. Always good with fans and has a very nice signature.

Mark Breland- Quiet guy, still in good shape, very friendly. Soft spoken.

Danny Lopez- Slightly bigger than I'd have thought. Seems to be ok but he has a hard time speaking up. Nice guy, just difficult to hear when he speaks.

Donny LaLonde- Doesn't look like he was a big supermiddle/light heavy. Still in good shape and seems to have his senses about him. Overall seemed to be a good guy.

Ken Norton- Still has big arms, but is not in good shape physically. Needs a walker and has speaking problems. The accident and health problems to follow have really taken their toll on him. Despite his troubles he is still very approachable and accomodating.

Cory Spinks- Very, very nice guy. Easy going and all around good to be near.

Eddie Perkins- Was not in very good shape physically when I met him. He could walk around (with some difficulty) but could not sign or really converse with fans. Seemed to enjoy the attention though.

Christy Martin- Nice lady. Was happy to talk with everyone and had no problems signing for those who wanted her to. Her husband seemed like a **** when I saw him and sure enough a few years later tried to kill her.

Billy Backus- A very good man who simply enjoys life. Very easy to talk to.

Livingstone Bramble- I did not care for him. I got a ****y and arrogant vibe from him and had a slight problem regarding the signing. He signed, but not without telling me off as people in the line waited.

Lee Roy Murphy- Not very talkative but still pleasant. Looks like a very strong man.

Paulie Malignaggi- Obviously ****y but is still a nice guy. He was in training for his fight with Hatton and supremely confident. Didn't work out too well for him, but oh well.

Nate Campbell- Small guy but still seemed like a guy not to be messed with. Extremely friendly and laid back. Clearly a good person all around and I wish him nothing but the best.

Peter Manfredo Jr- Great guy. Easy going and likes to chat. He called me "boss", which I liked.

Orlando Canizales- Never would guess he was a complete badass. Looks like an accountant, very soft spoken. Genuinely appreciates attention and praise and is one of the nicest guys I've ever met.

Gaby Canizales- Same as Orlando. The Canizales brothers are good people.

Junior Jones- Blew me off. Can't really comment on him.

Kermit Cintron- Signed, but did not speak a word to me or anyone else. I didn't really care for him.

Pipino Cuevas- Seemed to be in good shape for his age. There was a language barrier between him and I, but he was very nice none the less.

Jung-Koo Chag- Happy little fellow. Likes to have fun and enjoys people.

Nino Benvenuti- Doesn't speak English very well but still is willing to speak with fans as best as he can. In great shape and I really enjoyed meeting hm.

Kostya Tszyu- Very friendly. Has huge arms for a man of his size and weight. Clearly very strong and I'd hate to be hit by him. Built for power and accuracy. A very happy man.

Brian Mitchell- Another man who is genuinely happy to see people and likes to converse as much as he can. Also a person who is obviously very strong.

Jesse James Leija- Small, but still in great shape. Fun to listen to. Is very respectful and accessible.

Azumah Nelson- Quiet, but kind. Short in stature, but also broad. Seems to be ok mentally and physically, despite the wars and long career.

Jeff Fenech- Didn't really meet him, per se, but saw him enough to guage that he was a *****.

John H. Stracy- Very nice, his weight seems to go up and down. Fun to be around and is very insightful.

Gaspar Ortega- In very good shape for a man of his age. Also very accessible. Seems to enjoy attention, but does not say much.

Mark Johnson- Very small guy, but still was obviously a fighter. Extremely kind and likes to converse. His father is a hoot and Johnson is genuinely appreciative of fans. I became a fan of his from simply meeting him.

Antonio Tarver- Looked bigger when he was on showtime commentary than he looks in person. Very friendly and happy.

Robert Helenius (ok, he's not a champ)- Not nearly as big in person as I'd have imagined. ****ey seemed much bigger to me.
Bill1234 is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:07 AM   #60
Surf-Bat
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 3,241
vCash: 500
Default Re: Ever meet a champ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PityTheFool View Post
Sorry SB.Never saw your post when I asked about Hopkins.
Also a big fan of McCallum and had him down as probably being quite friendly.
Naw! No worries!

Met McCallum twice. He was quiet, but friendly. I liked him.
Surf-Bat is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2015