Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 11-08-2012, 11:57 PM   #1
Thisxisxlife

vCash: 500
Default My Weight Class?

I fluctuate between 125 to 130 every once in a while. Just wondering what my considered weight class would be.

Also, just on the side, I'm 5'6" and I have a 65" reach. I was just wondering what the typical height/reach is for people in my weight class.

Thanks.
Thisxisxlife is offline  Top
Old 11-09-2012, 12:25 AM   #2
wordisbond
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: My Weight Class?

It would really depend on your body type and how you feel at a particular weight. I don't think anyone on this board could give you a definitive answer. IMO, 125lbs seems like a good weight for that height in terms of boxing. Do you honestly think you and drop even more weight without compromising your strength and overall health?
wordisbond is offline  Top
Old 11-09-2012, 02:25 AM   #3
Thisxisxlife

Not sure what you're asking lol. I just want reassurance that I'm not too short or anything for my weight. And if I were I would start training now to learn to slip punches to move close to taller opponents.
Thisxisxlife is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2012, 01:03 PM   #4
Speechless
Contender
ESB Senior Member

He's basically saying you should fight at the lightest weight possible w/out sacrificing performance & health. So if it's 125, great, if you can drop a few to a lighter weight class and still perform well, then better.

Being too short is relative to your style & athleticism. But at 125, 130 - you're probably close to average height. Won't see too many guys over 5'8/5'9.

Your reach is average too. Many say average reach is tied to your height. So someone who is 5'6 should have an average reach of 66 inches. Your reach is 1 inch shorter, which roughly translates to less than 1/2 inch per arm (below average). Which in my opinion is negligible .

Sounds like you're just starting out training. My advice, don't overthink this. Go out and enjoy training, and sparring. Develop your style - then worry about what weight class you should be in.
If you're young (i.e. in your teens) especially, you have some growing up to do - so no use pigeonholing yourself into one class or style of fighter - even after years of training, fighters still find themselves making adjustments to their technique & style.
Speechless is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing