Old 11-12-2012, 05:18 AM   #136
OvidsExile
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Is De La Hoya overated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleRed View Post
The only place the register differs is that I have Armando Muniz top 10. Honestly I could make a thread with everyone against top 10 guys if people really wanted.
Oh, please do. That would be an excellent idea!
OvidsExile is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2012, 05:40 AM   #137
anj
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gesta View Post
Oscar def' beat Tito & SSM the 2nd time, Sweet Pea & Ike were very close and could have gone either way, Oscar finished well vs Ike and was the agressor vs Pea.

I don't remember Forrest being a potental contender for Oscar while he was at WW, thought Oscar was on the way out when he was on the way up. No way Forrest is better than Oscar, Mayorga even out boxed him.

Winky and Ike are nowhere near Oscar

25% of Hopkins MW defences were against Allen and Echols, Hopkins had to leave his own division because he could not beat Jermain Taylor.

Mayweathers own division finally started to get some good comp' so he retires , then ducked a former FW for health reasons.

I am just a fan of any boxer that takes on all comers, esp' if they have cleaned out their own division
Good response.
anj is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2012, 08:59 AM   #138
LittleRed
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 475

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands of Iron View Post
Some other HW's... Little Red's list may be different by a couple here or there.

Ali: 32-5
Louis: 30-3
Holmes: 20-5
Lewis: 15-2-1
Tyson: 13-4
Holyfield: 11-7-2 (HW only)
Marciano: 11-0

Frazier, Liston, Foreman...

BIG George didn't really fight too many, of course he blasted Frazier and Norton to smitherines and won back the title 20 years on from losing it.

Frazier and Liston will surprise you.

Joe Frazier 10-4 (9-4 if you don't count Foster)
Sonny Liston 8-4
LittleRed is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2012, 09:28 AM   #139
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Oscar def' beat Tito & SSM the 2nd time, Sweet Pea & Ike were very close and could have gone either way, Oscar finished well vs Ike and was the agressor vs Pea.

I don't remember Forrest being a potental contender for Oscar while he was at WW, thought Oscar was on the way out when he was on the way up. No way Forrest is better than Oscar, Mayorga even out boxed him.

Winky and Ike are nowhere near Oscar

25% of Hopkins MW defences were against Allen and Echols, Hopkins had to leave his own division because he could not beat Jermain Taylor.

Mayweathers own division finally started to get some good comp' so he retires , then ducked a former FW for health reasons.

I am just a fan of any boxer that takes on all comers, esp' if they have cleaned out their own division
So an Oscar fan then Oscar just wasn't that good, I thought Quartey beat him clearly, Whitaker was closer but he just wasn't that effective, close though.

Against Trinidad he landed more punches but was continually on the backfoot and only working for 30seconds of a round not to mention his opponent lands the better punches, he's losing all the effective aggression scoring. He also kissed goodbye to the championship rounds, now I think he should got the verdict but it's not making it clear to the judges. Against Mosley 2 again he lost the championship rounds and arguably the second half of the fight but probably built up enough points, still pretty close but again backing up and shipping the bigger punches. Any judge favouring effective aggression gives the fight to Mosley. No way is Mosley 2 more clear of a robbery than Quartey, except for the cheerleading commentators

Mayweather retired at 30, then in his comeback he fights the guys he was supposedly avoiding in Mosley/Cotto. Those 2-4years he took to fight Cotto and Mosley is pretty much the same amount of time it took Delahoya to fight Trinidad and Quartey after his Whitaker win. For the wrongs and rights of it, Pacquaio turned down a blood test and 50% to face Mayweather in '09. That's a far better offer than De La Hoya ever offered Winky Wright, 6 million, and is a better offer than Mayweather himself got against DLH, 35%.

Hopkins wasn't the strongest but is much better than you make out. He was 38 for Delahoya at a 157lb catch weight btw. Not to mention he'd go onto beat Winky Wright, Tarver, and arguably Joe Calzaghe (at 43) after that.

Both are easily greater than Delahoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSouthpaw View Post
DLH had no business fighting Hopkins...KO'd by a body shot...Eeeeesh
KO'd or quit?
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2012, 10:45 AM   #140
lora
Fighting Zapata
ESB Addict

DLH vs Mosley rematch was a dire fight compared to the excellent first one.

Oscar putting on an uninspiring exhibition of mobile boxing that would have been lucky to contain someone like Hard **** Green, and Mosley shuffling forward throwing one bomb at a time with all the imagination of your average heavyweight journeyman.Except they usually at least have a good jab.

Oscar should have got the decision though.

I thought Oscar quit against Hopkins as well.His theatrical reaction sealed it.
lora is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2012, 11:01 AM   #141
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

I agree. Two mates making a lot of money together. Flashy but painless flurries from Oscar then a nothing 'liver shot' that no one can claim is anything less than deadly, like calling in sick to work with a 'bad back'.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2012, 11:04 AM   #142
eliqueiros
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 289

Quote:
Top 30, for me. Better tham Mayweather.

Boxing fans complain about boxing today, the top guys don't fight each other etc... the old timer were heaps better , they had great resumes as they all fought each other, so what if they had a few loses , as they fought the best etc...

Along comes Oscar fights everyone, has some wins over fellow greats and a couple loses, but fights great boxers even one of the top MW of all times but has a couple loses along the way , how do boxing fans return reward one of the boxers that fights all comers like the old timers that they love? , by saying shit like he lost all his big fights.

Then they complain why more boxers are not looking to unify and or fight the best out there, the boxers and / or promoters are not stupid , they see what happens to boxers that take on the best and have a coupe losses , it is much safer to pick , choose and dodge curtin boxers to keep your look of invicability.

Oscar, Mosley , Ike , Tito and Sweet Pea were all WW around the same time , who is the only one to fight all of them? , he loses one and suddenly he is nothing , why didn't they all fight each other to see who was the best of them? if they all fought the other four , who would not come out with a loss to his record?
Great post, I totally agree. The problem isn't Oscar, it's the expectations of fans.
eliqueiros is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2012, 11:17 AM   #143
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by lora View Post
DLH vs Mosley rematch was a dire fight compared to the excellent first one.

Oscar putting on an uninspiring exhibition of mobile boxing that would have been lucky to contain someone like Hard **** Green, and Mosley shuffling forward throwing one bomb at a time with all the imagination of your average heavyweight journeyman.Except they usually at least have a good jab.

Oscar should have got the decision though.

I thought Oscar quit against Hopkins as well.His theatrical reaction sealed it.
I think Oscar (or Mayweather Sr) figured he was better off boxing Mosley though. Mosley pressure wasn't particularly refined but I actually liked the bull metador nature of it myself, at least better than Tito-DLH, which maybe the worst super fight in history

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
I agree. Two mates making a lot of money together. Flashy but painless flurries from Oscar then a nothing 'liver shot' that no one can claim is anything less than deadly, like calling in sick to work with a 'bad back'.
I was actually asking about the liver shot, I'm not sure myself because liver shots are deadly, especially to older boxers typically. I reckon I'd have a glass liver myself after all my drinking
Old 11-12-2012, 11:46 AM   #144
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Well it's brutal I imagine, so much so that you could pass off one that looked as aesthetically weak as B-Hops to Oscar did. And what can anyone say? Soar you were play hurting? Because fact is if youget hit there it hurts, whether it's a rib breaker like Hatton-Castillo or what Hopkins hit Oscar with.

He may have been in excruciating pain. Didn't look like it, but what do I or any of us speculating on it actually know?
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2012, 12:26 PM   #145
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP

The more I look at it the more solid it looks, 1 way or another Hopkins was starting to ragdoll him for the stoppage. The most hilarious part of it is BHOPs grandad run because he runs in his boxing stance

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylWFE_HhVjI&feature=relmfu[/ame]

Hopkins supposedly mentions the liver shot in the interview (no sound for me)

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IrpaL8baAk&feature=relmfu[/ame]

Ironic isn't it that DLH said 'black guys can't take it to the body'
Old 11-12-2012, 02:18 PM   #146
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

The body shot heard around the world!..
TheSouthpaw is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2012, 05:31 PM   #147
Bokaj
Champion
East Side Guru

Personally, I would have to have a LOT to go on before I claim that someone like DLH quit. Just because he looked "theatrical"? Don't know how many who claim that have actually got hit with acccurate liver shots they didn't see coming, but it hurts badly. Those short body blows in close, below the opponent's line of vision, are the most effective. Much more so than for example Foreman's whaling on a Ali in Zaire.

Many on this forum are way to eager to say that this fighter quit and that one didn't give it a go in the first place. I think they are wrong in the vast majority of cases, plain don't know what they're talking about.
Bokaj is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2012, 05:35 PM   #148
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Hey, in my defence I did say everything you said and noticed the flaws in that argument when presenting it!
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2012, 05:58 PM   #149
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Hey, in my defence I did say everything you said and noticed the flaws in that argument when presenting it!

Hey either way im pretty sure that hurt!
Old 11-12-2012, 06:00 PM   #150
TheSouthpaw
Champion
ESB Addict

When did DLH say black guys cant take shots to the body!????

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum