Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 11-13-2012, 09:56 AM   #91
Jdsm
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1947
Default Re: Updated progress pics, but wtf is the most replied most viewed thread in history

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brand NOOBian View Post
I eat what some would call a "clean" diet, made up mostly of boiled chicken breast, tuna, turkey, eggs, milk, oatmeal, wheat bread, raw vegetables, nuts and fruit. I also supplement that with whey shakes, a multi-vitamin/mineral tablet, and omega-3 fish oil. I meet my macros and micros (I admit I didn't know what these were until a few months ago). I unintentionally exceed the RDA on certain micros actually. But I enjoy eating these foods, so I don't really feel stressed or restricted eating this way.

That being said, I do tend to go overboard on beer, fast food, fried chicken, and pizza on the rare occasions that I eat/drink them, but I don't think that's because of my regular diet. These are things I went overboard on most of my adult life long before I started dieting/training, so it's more habitual than anything. However, I do try to stay within my maintenance level for the day, or I'll make up for it on other days to balance it out. And that's something I never did before I started dieting/training.

That might not be the best way to approach things, but it works for me.
Then that's absolutely fine.

My problem is when people believe there is a neccessity to eat foods that align with somebody's subjective list of 'clean' foods and don't believe they can have that bit of a pizza, ice cream or whatever or else it will instantly kill their gains.
Jdsm is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2012, 09:58 AM   #92
Matt Ldn
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1885
Default Re: Updated progress pics, but wtf is the most replied most viewed thread in history

Quote:
Originally Posted by pichuchu View Post
You boxing in australia matt?
How would u compare the training and attitude to boxing over there compared to back home?
Yeah its probably the only thing I researched before I came out its a light study load so plenty of time.

Its hard for me to say because of uni I have a really fragmented training regime at several gyms back home. Due to this I think my progress has been limited as by the time they got used to me being back in the gym I'd be off.

From my gym there are alot of older guys at similar experience levels to me, I am the youngest of the guys competing at 20. It seems to be the trend generally that people get into it later in life when they've stopped playing rugby/cricket etc. rather than young. You see very few juniors if any training and if they are not training seriously usually. Obviously with the older boys they are a bit more dedicated training wise but typically more brawlers than boxers. Thats just from my experience though obviously.

Also two amateur boxing organisations and a lot less shows but they have mixed Pro and AM shows which is cool and you end up with great crowds for the AM fights. I had over 500 for my first fight over here.
Matt Ldn is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2012, 10:31 AM   #93
Brand NOOBian
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdsm View Post

My problem is when people believe there is a neccessity to eat foods that align with somebody's subjective list of 'clean' foods and don't believe they can have that bit of a pizza, ice cream or whatever or else it will instantly kill their gains.
I see that once in a while when I browse the bodybuilding.com forums, but it seems like people like that get clowned and IIFYM is the big thing now. That makes sense to me when it comes to body composition, since I guess caloric intake/macros are all that really matter, but does that apply to training for boxing as well? Did you eat the same when you boxed compared to bodybuilding now?

I'm curious if there's any scientific evidence connecting the types of food you eat with athletic performance/stamina. I feel like my endurance has gotten worse the past couple of weeks (thought it was just in my head until my coach noticed it too). The only factors I can think of that have changed are: I ate more burgers, french fries, and fried chicken in the past 3 weeks than I normally would in a span of 3 months, and I haven't done roadwork/sprints for the past 2 weeks. I'm guessing the decrease in roadwork/sprints is the main (possibly only) issue, but 2 weeks seems like too short of a time to make that big of a difference.
Brand NOOBian is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2012, 10:49 AM   #94
pichuchu
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Not a fan of IIFYM it completly ignores the need of micro's and such. BUT for weight gain/loss purposes it just shows only important factor is calories in< calories out
pichuchu is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2012, 10:58 AM   #95
Jdsm
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pichuchu View Post
Not a fan of IIFYM it completly ignores the need of micro's and such. BUT for weight gain/loss purposes it just shows only important factor is calories in< calories out
It doesn't at all. "IIFYM" was simply a meme that was used to respond to people asking retarded questions like "Will milk destroy my gains"? It was just a meme "If it fits your macros - eat that shit". Nobody with any understanding of nutrition believes that you should ignore micros, although it seems like (as with everything) an extremist cult has formed.

IIFYM assumes some sort of intelligence essentially, it does not mean "Eat what you want as long as you hit your macros."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brand NOOBian View Post
I see that once in a while when I browse the bodybuilding.com forums, but it seems like people like that get clowned and IIFYM is the big thing now. That makes sense to me when it comes to body composition, since I guess caloric intake/macros are all that really matter, but does that apply to training for boxing as well? Did you eat the same when you boxed compared to bodybuilding now?
The concept of 'IIFYM' is nothing new, it's just a new acronym/meme.

When I trained for boxing I had to worry about multiple training bouts per day sometimes, so nutrient timing was more of an issue, but nothing majorly different to how I go about things now.
Jdsm is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2012, 11:31 AM   #96
HoldMyBeer
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:

important to acknowledge too that dieting shouldn't feel like 'penance', and that having the occasional excursion isnt a bad thing
HoldMyBeer is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2012, 12:14 PM   #97
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoldMyBeer View Post

important to acknowledge too that dieting shouldn't feel like 'penance', and that having the occasional excursion isnt a bad thing
I hate the term "dieting" or when people say "I'm going on a diet" it's ****ing stupid. Your diet is simply what you eat over a period of time. Apparently in this age a diet is what you do to lose weight.

Change the way you eat and stick to it, whether that's pure "healthy" food or whatever you want but carefully measured. It's a change of lifestyle not "dieting" for a month then going back to eating stupid amounts of shit daily.

Rant over.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2012, 12:22 PM   #98
HoldMyBeer
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post
I hate the term "dieting" or when people say "I'm going on a diet" it's ****ing stupid. Your diet is simply what you eat over a period of time. Apparently in this age a diet is what you do to lose weight.

Change the way you eat and stick to it, whether that's pure "healthy" food or whatever you want but carefully measured. It's a change of lifestyle not "dieting" for a month then going back to eating stupid amounts of shit daily.

Rant over.
yes i know that, but for people who havent made that lifestyle change the word 'diet' signifies the start of that change
i'm assuming someone reading these posts isnt there yet
HoldMyBeer is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2012, 01:32 PM   #99
Jdsm
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Awesome 600lb squat!

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Jdsm is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2012, 02:02 PM   #100
TVLPC
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Something like:

Upper Strength
Lower Strength
Rest
Pull
Push
Legs
Rest

The pull/push/legs would be the more higher volume work and the strength days would be low rep work with some accessory movements.
I like this for a longevity type of program. You suggested it to me on this earlier thread. What is your reasoning for your thoughts on GVT? I think for strength it is a poor choice, but for hypertrophy it is excellent if used appropriately(meaning not for extended periods of time).
TVLPC is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2012, 02:29 PM   #101
Jdsm
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVLPC View Post
I like this for a longevity type of program. You suggested it to me on this earlier thread. What is your reasoning for your thoughts on GVT? I think for strength it is a poor choice, but for hypertrophy it is excellent if used appropriately(meaning not for extended periods of time).
I haven't seen much of GVT, so don't really have any strong opinions on it. Going from the name I'd imagine it's extremely high volume (go me ) so as you say, not going to be very good for strength.
Jdsm is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2012, 03:50 PM   #102
cutthroat22

vCash: 213

It's basically ten sets of 1 exercise followed by a few other exercises of 3x10, for the first phase anyway.

Just finished at the gym and I'm now sat in Burger King.
cutthroat22 is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2012, 08:59 PM   #103
TVLPC
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutthroat22 View Post
It's basically ten sets of 1 exercise followed by a few other exercises of 3x10, for the first phase anyway.

Just finished at the gym and I'm now sat in Burger King.
Yeah, I have only read one person state that it is NOT the best hypertrophy programs they have ever done. Most people make very good gains on it.
TVLPC is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2012, 09:33 PM   #104
withoutwire
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 568

Quote:
Sure.

You see people all the time that restrict themselves to overly 'clean' diets such as brown rice and chicken with a bit of broccoli on the side. Now especially when you're dieting down, this is going to see you run in to not only a range of micro deficiencies (you were right with that), but I also see a lot of people become fat deficient, or atleast in the EFAs.

I see. I pretty much never deviate from a certain set of foods, but I'm very micronutrient aware so that's not a worry for me. But TBH in the case of EFAs, most of the population don't get enough. People won't notice a difference if they are EFA deficient as they will be asymptomatic so perhaps that's why.
withoutwire is offline  Top
Old 11-14-2012, 02:06 AM   #105
lefty
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Ldn View Post
Good to have you back lefty a credit to the forum, you going to be posting regularly again or just a drop in?

Fighting again this Saturday my 3rd fight, had the option for a state title fight in december but probably going to leave it due to fitness. looking forward to sat but woefully unprepared because of exams that finished today.
Thanks mate. I don't think I'll post here too often, pretty busy with my post-grad stuff and haven't been following boxing much recently. I actually have Anglo to thank for making me realize that I was procrastinating on here, talking nonsense with an absolute fool instead of spending my time more productively
Good luck with the boxing, you'll be right on Saturday. Sometimes the less training the better, stay in the moment and focus on the process of what you're doing instead of the outcome and you'll be laughing
lefty is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing