Good performance by both. 2 15.38%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-08-2012, 11:37 AM   #1
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1166
Default Sakuraba vs Belfort - A fix ??

I know Vitor said that he broke his hand and thatīs why he didnīt fight....BUT Sakuraba didnīt do much as well, it was horrible and even if Vitor had a broken hand he certainly could do more than that, at least a little bit more than that.

Iīm no fan of conspiracies theories but I think this fight IS suspicious especially when we watch some other fights from early days in PRIDE like some Takada bouts and even Sakuraba against Rampage....IIRC vs RAmpage was a strange fight as well.....

Do you think it was suspicious ? Or Vitor was simply horrible that night and the broken hand was the main factor ??

Edit - should have added an option saying "suspicious" in the poll.
Vic-JofreBRASIL is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-08-2012, 11:49 AM   #2
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Sakuraba vs Belfort - A fix ??

It could possibly be a work, but the broke hand and Vitors over muscular physique at the time which led to the lack luster 2nd half performance could be a factor.

I dont think Vitor had gone more than 5 minutes in a fight except for Randy, so 10 minutes for a PED user is a long time...

Im 50/50 on this one though
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 11-08-2012, 12:26 PM   #3
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Could be but could be erratic Vitor's lak of plan B at that time.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 11-08-2012, 12:31 PM   #4
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Yeah, he wasnt exactly explosive during his PRIDE run. Maybe if this was in the UFC it would simply be a cause of Vitor starting off strong, gassing then losing heart
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 11-08-2012, 02:01 PM   #5
Rainman
Journeyman

vCash: 500

At that point in his career 4 minutes was the longest he'd gone and pulled out a win. His loss to Randy and his subsequent career showed he had trouble with making adjustments and the longer a fight goes the worse he does... at least against top level opponents.
With a broken hand he didn't seem to have any tools to win.
Rainman is offline  Top
Old 11-08-2012, 03:41 PM   #6
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I just watched it again Vic, look ow heavily Vitor is breath when Saku hits the 1st single after the flurry whilst on his back. He tried to use up kicks like Goes but Saku learned his lesson and controlled the ankles and proceeded to destroy Vitors thighs. After Saku hit the back kick to the body Vitor was 100% done. He broke his hand, tried to get saku in his guard, got his legs destroyed, and basically mentally quit imo. He had nothing left except to try to do a Werdum and fall back hoping Saku would follow

If it was a work, nobody told Sakuraba
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 11-08-2012, 06:21 PM   #7
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Lovely post Stoo.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 11-08-2012, 06:29 PM   #8
greathamza
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 117

Yeah i thought it was sketchy at first but as stoo said if the fight was fixed saku didnt know bout it
greathamza is offline  Top
Old 11-08-2012, 08:49 PM   #9
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

Yeah, there was a point in the fight were I think Sakuraba was really mad with Vitor, itīs a good sign that it wasnīt a fix....but Vitorīs lethargy is really puzzling to me even with the broken hand.....
Old 11-09-2012, 10:56 AM   #10
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Location: Phoenix Marie`s ass, Fritzl Residence, Glasgow, Scotland.

Saying it was a fix is an insult to Sakuraba IMO, he`d never be part of anything like that, he`s as much of a warrior as anyone that ever fought professionally.

2 things went wrong for Vitor that night, he broke his hand & was beaten by one of the best MMA fighters that ever lived in his prime. Simple.
Bill Butcher is offline  Top
Old 11-09-2012, 04:43 PM   #11
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Butcher View Post
Saying it was a fix is an insult to Sakuraba IMO, he`d never be part of anything like that, he`s as much of a warrior as anyone that ever fought professionally.

2 things went wrong for Vitor that night, he broke his hand & was beaten by one of the best MMA fighters that ever lived in his prime. Simple.
No insult, it is a good question... weīre always discussing these things in sports... some japanese fighters were protected by PRIDE, there is no secret about it..... Takada was never a real fighter and even so he was always hyped as some special fighter by PRIDE.....

Sakuraba always faced the best, yes...but he participated of some weird fights.....Vitor, Rampage......and this one here:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

But yes, I admit that after this fight with this guy I really never tried to like Sakuraba and started to look at his fights with a different eye, thatīs all.....
Old 11-09-2012, 05:30 PM   #12
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Yeah, the deck was stacked against Rampage. Often in the fixed fights it's the guy who's throwing it who's at fault.

For example I find it hard to take much credit from Terry McGovern for stopping Joe Gans.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 11-09-2012, 06:28 PM   #13
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Another case of ''Asian guy beats a can easily, must be a fix'' jobs here. Maybe Gilles look **** because he actually was...****...Didnt the guy have like 5 fights or something?

Protected could be one word for it too Vic, but maybe you should look up Saku's run up to that fight and if there was one guy who deserved an easy fight in front of a home crowd more Id be hard pressed to name him.

And before our resident double standards Queen pipes up, yes, people were calling for Brock to have an easier fight than Alistair too...
Stoo is offline  Top
Old 11-09-2012, 07:21 PM   #14
Vic-JofreBRASIL
Champion
East Side Guru

Iīm harsh on Saku purposely because IMHO he is a tad overrated......but I think is nice to discuss these fights, and youīre right Stoo he deserved an easy fight but tbh I donīt consider that vs the french an easy fight, that simply is not a fight imo.....
Anyway, not the first time Saku vs Belfort is discussed here I guess...
Old 11-09-2012, 07:25 PM   #15
Stoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I cant recall when that fight took place, but name me some guys saku should have been fighting in that time frame when the talent pool was relatively shallow in elite names that Saku hadnt already faced...you got to look at it in context Vic
Stoo is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum