Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 11-11-2012, 11:21 PM   #1
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Jonothan Banks should retire...become Wlad's full time trainer

He did an unbelievable job. That is Bank's calling. He will become a much better trainer than he is a fighter. I think it's a great story. A young, protege becoming a trainer for an all time great whose 7 years older than himself. Wlad needs to keep surrounding himself with Manny Steward's entourage. It's what got him where he is. Banks knows Wladimir K better than anyone. I hope Wladimir sticks with Banks.
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2012, 11:25 PM   #2
JMP
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Re: Jonothan Banks should retire...become Wlad's full time trainer

If he gets knocked out by Seth Mitchell next week, he might want to consider it. Then again, I don't know his financial situation and if he loves to fight, more power to him continuing on.
JMP is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2012, 11:27 PM   #3
The Funny Man 7
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1326

Yeah that's not bad thinking. If he beats Mitchell I think he should try to land a bout with Povetkin, Helenius, or someone to pick up a few big paydays.

But if he loses to Mitchell then I agree he should just focus on training. He seemed like he had a lot of promise at the start of his career, especially at cruiserweight. But aside from his kayo over Walker his career at heavy has been only so-so even though he hasn't lost since Adamek. He has talent and he seems to train hard, but he just doesn't have the mean streak or the killer instinct to maximize on his gifts.

If he can't beat Mitchell then I agree. Why not retire and make a fortune training Wlad and eventually other guys instead of suffering a steady accumulation of brain damage as fringe contender and ending up like Roach?
The Funny Man 7 is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2012, 11:29 PM   #4
Boxed Ears
Smugly Savvy Feelings
East Side VIP

vCash: 26664

If Mitchell doesn't turn into a stinky upset and goes the way I think it's going to go, I can easily see him doing that, too.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2012, 11:31 PM   #5
The Funny Man 7
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1326

Incidently I think Banks has a solid chance of beating Mitchell. Mayham just inside a natural fighter for all of his athletic talent, and Banks has a superior pedigree and probably a rounder skillset.

If Banks can get mean and recapture his old killer instinct he can surprise Mitchell early the way Witherspoon nearly did.

Banks can punch to. I remember Adamek spoke very, very highly of Banks' offense, saying something about Banks making him see 'electric cobwebs'. And that was a prime cruiserweight Adamek, not the doughy, aging heavyweight who struggles in just about all his fights these days.
The Funny Man 7 is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2012, 11:47 PM   #6
Boxed Ears
Smugly Savvy Feelings
East Side VIP

vCash: 26664

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Funny Man 7 View Post
Incidently I think Banks has a solid chance of beating Mitchell. Mayham just inside a natural fighter for all of his athletic talent, and Banks has a superior pedigree and probably a rounder skillset.

If Banks can get mean and recapture his old killer instinct he can surprise Mitchell early the way Witherspoon nearly did.

Banks can punch to. I remember Adamek spoke very, very highly of Banks' offense, saying something about Banks making him see 'electric cobwebs'. And that was a prime cruiserweight Adamek, not the doughy, aging heavyweight who struggles in just about all his fights these days.
Yeah, it's one of those fights where I can definitely, logically see the potential for upset (perhaps not all that big of an upset, even, I admit) but I've just got this feeling like one guy is earmarked for a mean showing victory and it's Mitchell. I also thought the Witherspoon hurting him bit was overplayed.

He got clocked against a decent, nothing special big guy and clearly had to dig a little bit to get out, which is a little red flag, but he did do the digging and came back big. I understand if it gives some pause about his contenderhood but I don't put too much on it, at this point. I agree the difference in pedigree but I do think Mitchell is one dangerous young gun and if Banks can't get keep him at a distance, he might get run right over in a blowout, backgrounds be damned.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2012, 12:02 AM   #7
EuroBot
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Let's see how he does on Saturdayfirst...
EuroBot is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2012, 12:18 AM   #8
jisi
Champion
East Side Guru

Johnathon Banks was very very good in Wlad´s corner. I hope they will continue working together.
jisi is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2012, 05:04 AM   #9
diesel
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieQ49 View Post
He did an unbelievable job. That is Bank's calling. He will become a much better trainer than he is a fighter. I think it's a great story. A young, protege becoming a trainer for an all time great whose 7 years older than himself. Wlad needs to keep surrounding himself with Manny Steward's entourage. It's what got him where he is. Banks knows Wladimir K better than anyone. I hope Wladimir sticks with Banks.
i agree with you/ i thought he did a great job
diesel is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2012, 05:19 AM   #10
joegrundy
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2592

If he beats Mitchell and fights Wlad but trains him at the same time surely he will have the advantage?
joegrundy is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2012, 05:20 AM   #11
madballster
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Who'll be in Banks' corner for the Mitchell fight?
madballster is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2012, 05:59 AM   #12
diamondDave
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 2025

Banks did a good job given the situation. However, though Wlad showed some new things there was also some drawbacks. He didn't pace himself properly and nearly punched himself out with a few rounds still to go. A heavyweight with a better offensive arsenal would have been able to take advantage of that. He also was hurt in the 5th and was fortunate the round was almost over.
diamondDave is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum