Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2013, 03:25 AM   #1
Celtic Warrior
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 216
vCash: 1050
Default Breakfast, the most important meal of the day? - Thoughts on this?

A friend posted this from a training and nutrition blog (Craig's blog)


Breakfast, the most important meal of the day.
January 21, 2013

Breakfast the most important meal of the day, really? Where did this come from? Certainly no scientist because the studies I’ve seen do not reflect this at all, in fact quite the opposite. Carbohydrates especially are very damaging to your morning hormone release and yes even the so called “healthy cereals” like porridge, all bran and Special K to name but a few. Why?

Well breakfast is important, very important but not for the reasons usually spouted by so called experts. It’s more important to skip it completely. Depending what you eat or rather don’t eat could determine whether you burn fat for the rest of the day or not. The last thing you want is an insulin spike in the morning to really **** things up.

As you probably well know, insulin is the hormone responsible for building tissue which of course includes fat. So with that in mind, how could you possibly burn fat after a bowl of porridge which releases a long lasting insulin release.
Important to know also is cortisol, a catabolic hormone that peaks upon waking. Oh know, all my muscle will be chewed up by my own body leaving me looking like a crack hore. Wrong! Cortisol is responsible for muscle tissue breakdown and of course that is frightening but it is also responsible for the breaking down of triglycerides (fat) into free fatty acids. Eating carbs determines wether you burn carbs for energy or fat. I know which I want to be burning.

Insulin is very low in the morning but also very sensitive. A small amount could trigger an insulin release capable of shutting down fat burning. Cortisol is high in the morning and if uninterrupted will accelerate fat burning. If your daily protein needs are met and your sleep and stress levels are on point, cortisol will burn through fat like liposuction and leave that hard earned muscle alone.

Ghrelin is the next piece in the puzzle. Weird name I know, makes me think of gremlins. Also every time I write it my spell check changes it to gherkin. So if you see gherkin anywhere else in this article, presume its ghrelin. Anyway, gherkin is basically that growling noise in the morning from your stomach ‘the hunger hormone’. I used to run to the fridge every time my stomach growled because oh no, of course this means I’m catabolic and my body is canabolising itself. But no, ghrelin actually stimulates growth hormone and if uninterrupted will peak roughly two hours after waking. That can only be a good thing. If hunger does get the best of you, dont worry, coffee is a great appetite surpressant and also a potent accelerator of fat loss. Well, the chemicals in the coffee help surpress your appetite and the caffeine accelerates fat loss.

All this information can be found in the book ‘Carb Backloading 1.0′ by John Kiefer. Of course expect better explanations and all the proof, as the book has countless references to scientific studies. Also find out more at [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] or [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Arnold was actually Carbbackloading intuitively before the rest of us. Genius!
Celtic Warrior is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2013, 04:27 AM   #2
Aplin
Nak Muay
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 450
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Breakfast, the most important meal of the day? - Thoughts on this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Warrior View Post
A friend posted this from a training and nutrition blog (Craig's blog)


Breakfast, the most important meal of the day.
January 21, 2013

Breakfast the most important meal of the day, really? Where did this come from? Certainly no scientist because the studies I’ve seen do not reflect this at all, in fact quite the opposite. Carbohydrates especially are very damaging to your morning hormone release and yes even the so called “healthy cereals” like porridge, all bran and Special K to name but a few. Why?

Well breakfast is important, very important but not for the reasons usually spouted by so called experts. It’s more important to skip it completely. Depending what you eat or rather don’t eat could determine whether you burn fat for the rest of the day or not. The last thing you want is an insulin spike in the morning to really **** things up.

As you probably well know, insulin is the hormone responsible for building tissue which of course includes fat. So with that in mind, how could you possibly burn fat after a bowl of porridge which releases a long lasting insulin release.
Important to know also is cortisol, a catabolic hormone that peaks upon waking. Oh know, all my muscle will be chewed up by my own body leaving me looking like a crack hore. Wrong! Cortisol is responsible for muscle tissue breakdown and of course that is frightening but it is also responsible for the breaking down of triglycerides (fat) into free fatty acids. Eating carbs determines wether you burn carbs for energy or fat. I know which I want to be burning.

Insulin is very low in the morning but also very sensitive. A small amount could trigger an insulin release capable of shutting down fat burning. Cortisol is high in the morning and if uninterrupted will accelerate fat burning. If your daily protein needs are met and your sleep and stress levels are on point, cortisol will burn through fat like liposuction and leave that hard earned muscle alone.

Ghrelin is the next piece in the puzzle. Weird name I know, makes me think of gremlins. Also every time I write it my spell check changes it to gherkin. So if you see gherkin anywhere else in this article, presume its ghrelin. Anyway, gherkin is basically that growling noise in the morning from your stomach ‘the hunger hormone’. I used to run to the fridge every time my stomach growled because oh no, of course this means I’m catabolic and my body is canabolising itself. But no, ghrelin actually stimulates growth hormone and if uninterrupted will peak roughly two hours after waking. That can only be a good thing. If hunger does get the best of you, dont worry, coffee is a great appetite surpressant and also a potent accelerator of fat loss. Well, the chemicals in the coffee help surpress your appetite and the caffeine accelerates fat loss.

All this information can be found in the book ‘Carb Backloading 1.0′ by John Kiefer. Of course expect better explanations and all the proof, as the book has countless references to scientific studies. Also find out more at [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] or [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Arnold was actually Carbbackloading intuitively before the rest of us. Genius!
Thanks for posting.

I'm not sure about this post. It has been scientifically proven that the body enters a catabolic state during the night. Most people go around 10 hours without eating anything (9pm until 7am).

The deal is that without food your body begins dipping into your fat stores. This is good if you are trying to lose weight, but what if you are an athlete trying to grow and adapt to the stress you are putting your body through? You want to be in this state for as short a time as possible.

Quote:
We all know that our bodies don't stop requiring nutrients and energy during the night, even though we don't usually provide it with either. This means that our bodies have to draw from it's own sources; in a sense we are fasting.

We're not even talking about our muscles not growing at this point — it's way worse than that — we're actually talking about our hard earned muscle being broken down.
I.e. Break Fast

Therefore, if you are an athlete or bodybuilder - breakfast is most certainly the most important meal of the day (in addition to your post workout meal/supplement).

Good article here that will explain a few things. It is a bodybuilding exercise, but my opinion is that the majority of what the author is saying applies to athletes. That said, I won't be setting my alarm to wake myself up at 1am and 4am to eat I'll just have a decent breakfast!

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Aplin is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:38 AM   #3
Jdsm
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: North East, England.
Posts: 1,093
vCash: 1947
Default Re: Breakfast, the most important meal of the day? - Thoughts on this?

People make such a big deal out of nutrient distribution. Breakfast, in the typical sense of waking up and eating something as opposed to just referring to your first meal of the day isn't necessary.

Nutrient timing does matter, but very little beyond finding a method that 'works for you' in the sense that it maximises gym performance.
Jdsm is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:36 PM   #4
Speechless
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 721
vCash: 500
Default Re: Breakfast, the most important meal of the day? - Thoughts on this?

Wow, this pretty much goes against pretty much all conventional knowledge.
It seems like pretty sound reasoning, but then again - could be totally off.
I guess that's why diet/nutrition is so hotly debated on forums. Even the best most accepted advice is all theoretical. People might have a good idea of what happens in your digestive systems - but no one knows exactly when and how fast things happen. Plus it varies from person to person. So there's never black and white, it's always grey.
I'm not so ready to accept this logic.
All I know is, i'm hungry in the morning, and I eat whenever I'm hungry.
Speechless is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:15 PM   #5
pecho26
ESB Lurker
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 954
vCash: 515
Default Re: Breakfast, the most important meal of the day? - Thoughts on this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celtic Warrior View Post
A friend posted this from a training and nutrition blog (Craig's blog)


Breakfast, the most important meal of the day.
January 21, 2013

Breakfast the most important meal of the day, really? Where did this come from? Certainly no scientist because the studies I’ve seen do not reflect this at all, in fact quite the opposite. Carbohydrates especially are very damaging to your morning hormone release and yes even the so called “healthy cereals” like porridge, all bran and Special K to name but a few. Why?

Well breakfast is important, very important but not for the reasons usually spouted by so called experts. It’s more important to skip it completely. Depending what you eat or rather don’t eat could determine whether you burn fat for the rest of the day or not. The last thing you want is an insulin spike in the morning to really **** things up.

As you probably well know, insulin is the hormone responsible for building tissue which of course includes fat. So with that in mind, how could you possibly burn fat after a bowl of porridge which releases a long lasting insulin release.
Important to know also is cortisol, a catabolic hormone that peaks upon waking. Oh know, all my muscle will be chewed up by my own body leaving me looking like a crack hore. Wrong! Cortisol is responsible for muscle tissue breakdown and of course that is frightening but it is also responsible for the breaking down of triglycerides (fat) into free fatty acids. Eating carbs determines wether you burn carbs for energy or fat. I know which I want to be burning.

Insulin is very low in the morning but also very sensitive. A small amount could trigger an insulin release capable of shutting down fat burning. Cortisol is high in the morning and if uninterrupted will accelerate fat burning. If your daily protein needs are met and your sleep and stress levels are on point, cortisol will burn through fat like liposuction and leave that hard earned muscle alone.

Ghrelin is the next piece in the puzzle. Weird name I know, makes me think of gremlins. Also every time I write it my spell check changes it to gherkin. So if you see gherkin anywhere else in this article, presume its ghrelin. Anyway, gherkin is basically that growling noise in the morning from your stomach ‘the hunger hormone’. I used to run to the fridge every time my stomach growled because oh no, of course this means I’m catabolic and my body is canabolising itself. But no, ghrelin actually stimulates growth hormone and if uninterrupted will peak roughly two hours after waking. That can only be a good thing. If hunger does get the best of you, dont worry, coffee is a great appetite surpressant and also a potent accelerator of fat loss. Well, the chemicals in the coffee help surpress your appetite and the caffeine accelerates fat loss.

All this information can be found in the book ‘Carb Backloading 1.0′ by John Kiefer. Of course expect better explanations and all the proof, as the book has countless references to scientific studies. Also find out more at [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] or [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Arnold was actually Carbbackloading intuitively before the rest of us. Genius!
I recently read and heard in victor conte interview that growth hormone releases like 70 percent of your daily output in a single burst while you are ina stage 4 deep sleep.
So your statement is wrong i suppose.
This kinda goes against everything i have been thought.So im not so sure about this.
pecho26 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 01:31 PM   #6
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,890
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Breakfast, the most important meal of the day? - Thoughts on this?

It comes down to what works for you.

I have friends that don't have breakfast in the morning, guess what, they survive the day. Some are big, some are small, some are stronger than me some weaker but they all survive. It comes down to what you want to do. Personally I always have breakfast as I feel like shit and have no energy if I don't, obviously some of my friends feel differently.

There are people that may need to work out what works best for them, bodybuilders, top class athletes, models that need to maintain low body fat etc but for the average guy (that includes most boxers on this forum) there's no big issue as to food timings.
viru§™ is online now  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 02:57 PM   #7
Jdsm
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: North East, England.
Posts: 1,093
vCash: 1947
Default Re: Breakfast, the most important meal of the day? - Thoughts on this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™ View Post
It comes down to what works for you.

I have friends that don't have breakfast in the morning, guess what, they survive the day. Some are big, some are small, some are stronger than me some weaker but they all survive. It comes down to what you want to do. Personally I always have breakfast as I feel like shit and have no energy if I don't, obviously some of my friends feel differently.

There are people that may need to work out what works best for them, bodybuilders, top class athletes, models that need to maintain low body fat etc but for the average guy (that includes most boxers on this forum) there's no big issue as to food timings.
I agree with what you are saying, although it is believed by many that they MUST follow a certain meal structure to 'stroke the metabolic fire' or to do whatever to hormones, which is just a bunch of crap. Intermittent fasting data is currently limitted, but we have seen that it doesn't make a difference as far as LBM preservation goes.

I'm in the same boat with breakfast, I need my bagals and peanut butter or I get pissed off

Last edited by Jdsm; 01-22-2013 at 03:49 PM.
Jdsm is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:27 PM   #8
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: I'm not your buddy, pal.
Posts: 6,581
vCash: 202
Default Re: Breakfast, the most important meal of the day? - Thoughts on this?

If you skip breakfast won't your first meal that follows be breakfast

If you want to lose weight make sure you take in less calories than you need, let your body handle the insulin. Unless you're a bodybuilder then by all means follow whatever incomplete science you can get your hands on. If you have stuff to do in the morning that requires energy, eat. Unless you're a diabetic (or eating the kind of food that may make you one) I would not worry about insulin spikes. One way to limit the effect is by not eating giant meals, there can't possibly be a large spike if you eat throughout the day.
RDJ is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:28 PM   #9
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,574
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Breakfast, the most important meal of the day? - Thoughts on this?

Pretty much like a Car. Check the Oil and Water, and make sure you top the Fuel up, before the journey. .
scrap is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:32 PM   #10
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: I'm not your buddy, pal.
Posts: 6,581
vCash: 202
Default Re: Breakfast, the most important meal of the day? - Thoughts on this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrap View Post
Pretty much like a Car. Check the Oil and Water, and make sure you top the Fuel up, before the journey. .
Yeah but if they eat they'll have one of those dreaded insulin spikes and their cortisol will be out of control

I agree with you btw scrap. The body needs energy, release of cortisol makes you feel hungry and somehow it would be wise to ignore that because of an insulin spike. Cortisol is released to break down protein, this could be muscle tissue but why on earth would the body instantly chew up much needed muscle. This is needed for an energy boost since you just woke up and need a kick start. It gives you a sensation of hunger to make this very clear to you. If you eat there will be insulin, to signal that there is energy on its way and the body can stop chewing up fats (but also protein, the reason cortisol was released). And this is somehow bad, because... well... insulin is bad mkay.
RDJ is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:48 PM   #11
Jdsm
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: North East, England.
Posts: 1,093
vCash: 1947
Default Re: Breakfast, the most important meal of the day? - Thoughts on this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDJ View Post
Yeah but if they eat they'll have one of those dreaded insulin spikes and their cortisol will be out of control


I have to read this every day. OH NOES, TEH INSULIN SPIKE, GOODBYE SWEET GAINZ.
Jdsm is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:51 PM   #12
mcguirpa
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,247
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Breakfast, the most important meal of the day? - Thoughts on this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrap View Post
Pretty much like a Car. Check the Oil and Water, and make sure you top the Fuel up, before the journey. .
Hot topic at the minute. The science is leaning towards the benefits of training fasted - at least for some of your sessions anyway.

The stuff about eating whenever you're hungry and 'stoking the metabolic fire' (whatever that means) is seductive. But the evidence at the minute seems to be that training whilst fasted promotes certain beneficial adaptations, most notably in the concentration of glycogen stored in the muscles.

The headline theory is that training when not completely nourished is an additional stress that has to be adapted to, essentially analagous to training with a reduced oxygen supply when altitude training.

There's also a cultural issue - breakfast (at least in the way we know it) is a relatively recent invention.
mcguirpa is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:04 PM   #13
captain hook
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: ZGB - Croatia
Posts: 537
vCash: 1794
Default Re: Breakfast, the most important meal of the day? - Thoughts on this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguirpa View Post
There's also a cultural issue - breakfast (at least in the way we know it) is a relatively recent invention.
i dont know for you, but here in croatia breakfast was always in the game. how could anyone make it through day on the field without proper breakfast ? (bread, cheese, sausages, eggs, milk, coffe or tea..)
captain hook is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:08 PM   #14
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 2,574
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Breakfast, the most important meal of the day? - Thoughts on this?

Interesting, hows the 25 hour Body clock cope with that . Altitude always had a Big Breakfast, snacking on the move always Hydrating, over 24,000 ft, **** they were Hard times .
scrap is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 04:40 PM   #15
mcguirpa
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,247
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Breakfast, the most important meal of the day? - Thoughts on this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain hook View Post
i dont know for you, but here in croatia breakfast was always in the game. how could anyone make it through day on the field without proper breakfast ? (bread, cheese, sausages, eggs, milk, coffe or tea..)
Cheese, sausage, eggs, milk. Protein and fat. A far cry from the sugary 'fortified' shite that passes for most people's breakfasts these days.

That was in fact one of the criticisms of one of the studies, the non-fasted group had cereal for breakfast. There was no comparison with a group who had a protein rich start to the day.
mcguirpa is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013