Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 11-10-2012, 09:10 PM   #1
Jack
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 15000
Default Boxing "experts" on TV

Tonight has been disgraceful for the punditry on boxing, the climax of which were Maloney's comments about Wlad and Manny, but it got me thinking about the overall problem with British "experts" on TV. For me, the level is shockingly bad.

I like Bunce and when he's impartial, I think he's one of the few good pundits we have. I respect his opinion a lot but there are so many others who add absolutely nothing. The guy who is in the studio with Bunce right now, Mark Prince, adds nothing. He seems bored, so not only does he not have a good personality for TV, I also don't think he knows what he's on about. The fact he was a successful boxer doesn't mean he's knowledgeable. The Sky team are terrible too. Johnny Nelson, Barry McGuigan and Glenn McCrory all make for poor pundits and never come out with any interesting insight and instead, they stick to the same tire old cliches I've heard thousands of times.

These people all seem ignorant about the sport. I come on to ESB and I read comments from posters like Flea Man or Mandanda, and I put far more stock into their opinions than those of the Sky or BoxNation team. I'm being 100% serious when I say that quite a few of the posters on here are more knowledgeable about the current world boxing scene than any pundit on TV.

It seems that every fight is ruined by shit commentary and the pundits are even worse. Guys like Bob Mee and Tris Dixon should be given more time on TV. They actually know what they're talking about. The only former boxer who I think is a good pundit is Jamie Moore. The rest all talk a load of shit.
Jack is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2012, 09:12 PM   #2
Masterclass2012
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default Re: Boxing "experts" on TV

Aint no experts except jai singh spencer fearon my boy ben doughty da saj ali no1 else noes shit bout da fight game standard!
Masterclass2012 is offline  Top
Old 11-10-2012, 09:18 PM   #3
jonnytightlips
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 900

This Mark Prince is a ****in joke. Also Maloney's comments earlier and Wlad and Manny Steward were ****in disgraceful.
jonnytightlips is offline  Top
Old 11-10-2012, 09:19 PM   #4
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Bunce and Prince are pally, so Prince is getting on TV. Poor TV.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 11-10-2012, 09:28 PM   #5
Squire
Never Truly Lost
ESB Addict

vCash: 7213

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
Tonight has been disgraceful for the punditry on boxing, the climax of which were Maloney's comments about Wlad and Manny, but it got me thinking about the overall problem with British "experts" on TV. For me, the level is shockingly bad.

I like Bunce and when he's impartial, I think he's one of the few good pundits we have. I respect his opinion a lot but there are so many others who add absolutely nothing. The guy who is in the studio with Bunce right now, Mark Prince, adds nothing. He seems bored, so not only does he not have a good personality for TV, I also don't think he knows what he's on about. The fact he was a successful boxer doesn't mean he's knowledgeable. The Sky team are terrible too. Johnny Nelson, Barry McGuigan and Glenn McCrory all make for poor pundits and never come out with any interesting insight and instead, they stick to the same tire old cliches I've heard thousands of times.

These people all seem ignorant about the sport. I come on to ESB and I read comments from posters like Flea Man or Mandanda, and I put far more stock into their opinions than those of the Sky or BoxNation team. I'm being 100% serious when I say that quite a few of the posters on here are more knowledgeable about the current world boxing scene than any pundit on TV.

It seems that every fight is ruined by shit commentary and the pundits are even worse. Guys like Bob Mee and Tris Dixon should be given more time on TV. They actually know what they're talking about. The only former boxer who I think is a good pundit is Jamie Moore. The rest all talk a load of shit.
Well said. There are potentially dozens of posters in the British and classic forums who would provide better insight than we usually have to watch on TV. Mostly we have to listen to guys that are either out of touch with modern boxing, obviously biased for or against certain fighters or, in many cases, only on TV because of their own careers

If a pundit is brought in who is known to be biased it has to be somebody with the profile of David Haye or Lennox Lewis. Otherwise the general public won't know them anyway and you may aswell just go with somebody objective who knows what they're talking about
Squire is offline  Top
Old 11-10-2012, 09:33 PM   #6
Bill C84
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 81

British boxing has a lot to be ashamed of lately, at it starts at the very top.
Bill C84 is offline  Top
Old 11-10-2012, 09:36 PM   #7
Masterclass2012
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Bill whats ur number buddy
Masterclass2012 is offline  Top
Old 11-10-2012, 09:38 PM   #8
SkillspayBills
Mandanda Running E-Pen
East Side VIP

Thanks Jack, Kind of you to think that bro .

I agree it's poor TV. I'm all for dragging these guys on your show and giving them air time but not in this arena on your weekly show fine but not asking him to talk about the action he's just seen.

Onto the point about experts, they sadly aren't well most of them anyways. Spencer Oliver tries bless him. He clearly doesn't know it all but he gets told the show he's doing and looks at the fighters records and past fights on youtube.

For us normal men working all week to know more then guys who work in it is pretty poor really. Yes you can't expect them to know every minor thing but i don't expect guys to blag it all the time on such basic stuff and work on the fly. They also talk down fighters they don't know which bugs me. Don't talk about things you don't know, i'd rather a guy say ''I've never seen Leo Santa Cruz'' then make it out it's a winnable fight for McDonnell..

It's poor profressionalism but you get it in Football as well, But Boxing less people moan and groan cos it's not so big a sport nowadays so they get away with it more.
SkillspayBills is offline  Top
Old 11-10-2012, 10:00 PM   #9
Jayob10
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

i'm sure the pundits on sky know the records of opponets. Take Saldivia for instance, the head of boxing has to be driving the analysis to the point where negativity is just not allowed. The line being spun was that he was a live challenger.

Nobody is going to make me believe Barry McGuigan or a Jamie Moore rated that guy. A rap on the knuckles is what they would get if they highlighted the guy was a bum and took the shine off a Brook win.

Ask Mcguigan or Moore what they think of the usual "Live opponents" on matchroom cards and in private they will tell you they are cack. But on sky they will toe the line.

Anyone who breaks rank and tells it as it is simply won't be coming on again.
Jayob10 is offline  Top
Old 11-10-2012, 10:02 PM   #10
LHL
Captain Freedom
East Side VIP

vCash: 2835

The thing that bothers me most is the lack of effort when looking into a fighter. I put more effort into rummys league than they do on research on a fighter.
LHL is offline  Top
Old 11-10-2012, 10:14 PM   #11
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHL View Post
The thing that bothers me most is the lack of effort when looking into a fighter. I put more effort into rummys league than they do on research on a fighter.
I think they fall into the trap that they are talking to sports fans, not boxing fans. Theres 2 very different levels there where research and opinions are concerned.

It doesn't bother me that much to be honest but, you're right, its very lazy.
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 11-10-2012, 10:16 PM   #12
The Spider

vCash:

This boxing commentator problem doesn't restrict itself to the UK believe me.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:22 PM   #13
Aquaman

well these jobs arent done on merit but on politics

for example to get a job at the BBC you have to vote for the labour party and agree with all their propaganda

will be the same with sky in some form, who the **** is adam smith, who is larry merchant or max kellerman

**** OFF
Aquaman is offline  Top
Old 11-10-2012, 10:24 PM   #14
LHL
Captain Freedom
East Side VIP

vCash: 2835

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazOC View Post
I think they fall into the trap that they are talking to sports fans, not boxing fans. Theres 2 very different levels there where research and opinions are concerned.

It doesn't bother me that much to be honest but, you're right, its very lazy.
They always seem to be clued up on main events but under that it really seems like a boxrec job on most occasions. Even some big names seem to be on the who cares list. I know what you mean by the casual fan as they always seem to bring up the fighters people know but a good hour on youtube and you'd get a decent grasp of a fighter
LHL is offline  Top
Old 11-10-2012, 10:25 PM   #15
The Spider

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaman View Post
well these jobs arent done on merit but on politics

for example to get a job at the BBC you have to vote for the labour party and agree with all their propaganda

will be the same with sky in some form, who the **** is adam smith, who is larry merchant or max kellerman

**** OFF
You are right in as much as most commentators are compromised in their views, and it comes through in what they have to say.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum