Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 12-09-2011, 08:43 PM   #1
Charles White
Chucker
ESB Addict

vCash: 999
Default Prime Pierre Coetzer in Today's Heavyweight Landscape

Not sure if this has been done before, but how would a prime Pierre Coetzer do against today's heavyweights in your opinion? I personally think that he would do quite well with his size (especially if he bulked up a bit) and strength. From what I have seen of him, he was a pretty decent heavyweight who would fare much better against today's crop of heavyweights. There is always the argument that he never beat a top heavyweight of his day, but then again, most heavyweights these days aren't built like they were back then.
Charles White is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2011, 08:59 PM   #2
BUDW
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Prime Pierre Coetzer in Today's Heavyweight Landscape

Top 3 heavy in todays bunch
BUDW is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2011, 04:32 AM   #3
zadfrak
Belt holder
ESB Addict

He loses. He might get the W over some DuPlooy caliber guys in the present landscape, but that's about as far as that defense is going to take him.
zadfrak is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2011, 08:12 AM   #4
Mr Butt
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1054

he would not be a champion ,i cant see him beating either klit brother but he would be ranked a top contender
Mr Butt is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2011, 08:25 AM   #5
The Mongoose
THROW SOME THUNDAAAH!!!!
East Side Guru

vCash: 258

I can't see him doing any better, dude is born for fringe. He split narrow fights with gate keeper Ossie Ocasio, and got knocked out by Bowe, Bruno, and Foreman when he finally stepped up

With the right backing, sure, anybody can be a contender. But you got to at least be convincing against gate keepers in your hometown for ****'s sake. He would be at the Sosonwoski level today.

Blah blah this Bowe opponent came up in a STACKED DIVISION would be a contender today. Yeah, think god there aren't any old Foreman and Ocasio types today to hold him back..
The Mongoose is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2011, 08:34 AM   #6
Mr Butt
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1054

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mongoose View Post
I can't see him doing any better, dude is born for fringe. He split narrow fights with gate keeper Ossie Ocasio, and got knocked out by Bowe, Bruno, and Foreman when he finally stepped up

With the right backing, sure, anybody can be a contender. But you got to at least be convincing against gate keepers in your hometown for ****'s sake. He would be at the Sosonwoski level today.

Blah blah this Bowe opponent came up in a STACKED DIVISION would be a contender today. Yeah, think god there aren't any old Foreman and Ocasio types today to hold him back..
mongoose apart from the brothers klit who of the heavy's around today would have a good chance to beat the bowe,bruno and foreman that coetzer was up against
Mr Butt is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2011, 08:52 AM   #7
The Mongoose
THROW SOME THUNDAAAH!!!!
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Butt View Post
mongoose apart from the brothers klit who of the heavy's around today would have a good chance to beat the bowe,bruno and foreman that coetzer was up against
For one thing, Povetkin is looking utterly fanastic as of late, and this is from a huge critic of the guy who regularly uses him as the butt of jokes. I must say Atlas has made me a believer, he's looking faster, sharper, and more aggressive, great defense too. So the division is a bit more than the Bros.

Why do you put an emphasis on those three, how about the Puerto Rican gate keeper that kept Coetzer from the Ring rankings? Do you think that version of Ossie is big shoes to fill? There are some solid gate keepers today like Barrett and Sergei that are perfectly capable of trading wins with Coetzer.

Who would beat Old Foreman..well. It didn't take a Jersey Walcott to outbox him. Could many contenders tdoay emulate Morrison and Alex Stewart's performance from that year? Yeah..they could. Hardly a high standard of technical boxing.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Old 12-10-2011, 08:54 AM   #8
The Mongoose
THROW SOME THUNDAAAH!!!!
East Side Guru

Frank Bruno...would be like Arreola today but with worse stamina and a better body..go figure. Losing to the contenders, and feasting on the cans and maybe some qualty gatekeepers, probably hanging on to a lower tier ranking. Waiting for his McCall...and he'll find him..oh yes, he will eventually.

Bruno is a guy I just don't think can WIN. It doesn't matter if its a washed up Spoon, the limited Bonecrusher, a great like Tyson...a future great like Lewis...this dude is going to box well and fold. Just his nature. Who could beat him today? God...I remember me and Lefthook 31 (missed) breaking it down that Walking Punchline Samuel Peter would probably upset him after losing every round. Here's a good one..almost every RING contedner is a Rocky Marciano against Bruno.

Last edited by The Mongoose; 12-10-2011 at 09:06 AM.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:51 AM   #9
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I always referred to him as "the uncrowned King" after Bowe low-blowed him into submission. He would beat all the current crop, Klits included, and reign at least for a decade. Perhaps two.
Seamus is online now  Top
Old 12-10-2011, 12:41 PM   #10
cross_trainer
Bergeron Avatar Club
ESB Addict

Depends who he's matched with. Bowe did need to low-blow him into submission after a toe-to-toe slugging match. I'd give him a tiny chance against Wlad simply because he's mean and durable enough to try to get inside consistently rather than hanging on the fringes and getting jabbed to death. He almost certainly loses, but Wlad's chin gives him an inkling of a chance. Povetkin would be an interesting fight, since the latter can be lured into slugging at times. Still probably loses. If Helenius doesn't improve, Coetzer could probably beat him. Arreola too. Most of the others probably outbox him.

Somebody with porous defense who wants to stand and slug with Coetzer is probably the best opponent.
cross_trainer is offline  Top
Old 12-10-2011, 07:34 PM   #11
AnthonyJ74
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
For one thing, Povetkin is looking utterly fanastic as of late, and this is from a huge critic of the guy who regularly uses him as the butt of jokes. I must say Atlas has made me a believer, he's looking faster, sharper, and more aggressive, great defense too. So the division is a bit more than the Bros.

Why do you put an emphasis on those three, how about the Puerto Rican gate keeper that kept Coetzer from the Ring rankings? Do you think that version of Ossie is big shoes to fill? There are some solid gate keepers today like Barrett and Sergei that are perfectly capable of trading wins with Coetzer.

Who would beat Old Foreman..well. It didn't take a Jersey Walcott to outbox him. Could many contenders tdoay emulate Morrison and Alex Stewart's performance from that year? Yeah..they could. Hardly a high standard of technical boxing.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Foreman had to low blow Stewart repeatedly in order to immobilize Stewart enough to hit him clean. The knockdowns in the second round were helped along by George's flagrant, hard low blows. Even a man of the cloth is not averse to the occasional foul if it helps his cause!
AnthonyJ74 is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2011, 12:05 AM   #12
Saintpat
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Tough guy. Not a true contender in a lot of eras, second- or third-tier guy, but tougher than a 10-penny nail.
Saintpat is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2011, 12:23 AM   #13
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

In all seriousness, Coetzer brought nothing to thed ring but a resolute sterness to invite and absorb punishment and possibly the greatest mustache fistiana has ever witnessed. He might be top ten today for a new york minute but that is about it.
Seamus is online now  Top
Old 12-11-2011, 08:26 AM   #14
Mendoza
Dominating a decade
East Side VIP

Quote:

Agered. Coetzer was a tad slow, and not very skilled on offense or defense. He would not make it past Povektin, or Adamek. I would also pick Haye to defeat him.

In terms of South African heavies, Corrie Sanders and Gerry Coetzee were better than Pierre Coetzer.
Mendoza is offline  Top
Old 12-11-2011, 04:27 PM   #15
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I can see him being better than guys like Tony Thompson and Chris Arreola, but probably not as good as David Haye or Alexander Povtekin.. Both Klits would beat him convincingly... At his best, he'd likely be a #5 guy or somwhere there abouts.. As Mongoose said, he was never top cut.
mr. magoo is online now  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum