Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 11-12-2012, 11:49 AM   #46
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Sonny Liston 'The Secretive Fight Contract'

Yeah, one of the many reasons Machen probably wouldn't have got the fight (try and get your head around it).
McGrain is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2012, 01:08 PM   #47
Senor Pepe'
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
Yeah, one of the many reasons Machen probably wouldn't have got the fight (try and get your head around it).

Money Numbers from Robert Nilon (I-C-P) calculated that a Heavyweight Championship bout
between Sonny Liston and Eddie Machen would have been a 'financial disaster' in 1964.

At best, the promotion would have done $700,000. Where as Liston vs. Clay did nearly $5,000,000.

Actually, the Liston vs. Clay bout in February 1964 fell short of the $6,000,000 projected estimate.
Senor Pepe' is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2012, 01:59 PM   #48
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Honestly, I am intrigued by this thread. The naysayers are tossing around platitudes. Pepe is quoting contracts and facts.
Seamus is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2012, 02:15 PM   #49
Senor Pepe'
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Seamus,

More facts -

August 2, 1963

Robert Nilon and Jack Nilon (Sonny Liston Team) were negotiating for Sonny to defend his
Heavyweight Championship versus Cassius Clay on September 30, 1963 in Philadelphia Stadium.

So far, sounds good.

But, under the I-C-P Promotional Contract, Sonny Liston would have also been a fight promoter. That is a 'No No'.

So Sonny, instead of getting 48% of the gross net receipts (and be taxed under the corporate rate), he had to remove
himself off of the I-C-P paperwork as an officer in the corporation.

Under individual tax laws, Sonny would now be taxed on 90% of his fight purse. That is one big hit. Of a $2,000,000 fight purse,
Sonny would only get to keep $200,000 of it.

That was the end of that September 30, 1963 Championship Fight in Philadelphia.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Old 11-12-2012, 02:21 PM   #50
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Tywin View Post
More lies and bullshit.
Hands of Iron is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2012, 04:37 PM   #51
Senor Pepe'
Belt holder
ESB Addict

August 1963,

After negotiations with William Faversham broke down, Sonny Liston, Jack Nilon and
Robert Nilon headed to Scandanavia (Mysen, Norway), for some boxing exhibitions.

There, they tried to convince 'INGO' to fight Sonny. But, for tax reasons, INGO felt
it was not worth fighting in the United States.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:50 PM   #52
groove
Contender
ESB Senior Member

i wonder if the weigh in was part of the act "Joe Louis was flat footed, Sonny Liston is flat footed, me and Sugar Ray are two pretty dancers"

BORKED
groove is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2012, 06:01 PM   #53
Lord Tywin
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
Honestly, I am intrigued by this thread. The naysayers are tossing around platitudes. Pepe is quoting contracts and facts.

If he is quoting contracts and facts why cant he just post the actual documents instead of "quoting" them?

Just like he quoted Ali admitting he couldnt beat Norton. Just like he quoted Perez saying he should have disqualified Ali. Just like he described Duran-Tavarez. Just like he quoted Cuevas, Ayala, and several reporters saying that sparring match never happened. In every case it was shown to a certainty that he fabricated everything he printed.

Fool me once shame on you, fool me twice
Lord Tywin is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2012, 06:31 PM   #54
HOUDINI
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Anyone who believes this bs is insane. Biggest load of crap I have ever read. young up and coming all time great, one of the greatest certainly, beats up on the aging champion. Seen it a million times throughout boxing history but on this inept board people see a fix. Sad....there has to be a decent boxing board somewhere on the Internet. This board is the worst.
HOUDINI is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2012, 07:04 PM   #55
Senor Pepe'
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Houdini,,,,,,,

What a load of 'crap', you stating that you knew that Cassius Clay was great in
late-1963 and early-1964.

Good yes, but great - nobody had that kind of foresight.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:11 PM   #56
Senor Pepe'
Belt holder
ESB Addict

September 1963

Sonny Liston in the United Kingdom. Thoughts of fighting in London.

The Champion was to watch two of the brightest young heavyweight prospects in Britain.

Billy 'Golden Boy' Walker, the 23 year-old 195 lb. 'hot prospect' at 9-1-1 (7 KO's).
vs.
'Playboy' Johnny Prescott, the 25 year-old 182 lb. 'Midlands Area' Heavyweight Champion 22-2-2 (11 KO's)

Was Johnny Prescott, thought to be the 'sacrificial lamb' for Sonny Liston in November 1963, if
he got by the 'Golden Boy'.

But, the 'Golden Boy' after getting seriously cut early in the bout, battered the 'Playboy' in the
final rounds, including flooring Prescott in Round 10, forcing Referee - Tommy Little to call a halt
to the bout at 1:36 of Round 10.

The Champion stated that he was not too impressed with either boxer, as both need alot of
work to reach the Top 15 level of Heavyweights.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Last edited by Senor Pepe'; 11-12-2012 at 07:34 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:44 PM   #57
D9Garrard
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Let's make the knuckleheads happy. No fight was ever fixed. Not even where the mob was involved. No fighter ever took a dive. Not even when the odds were set up where they could make ten times the money than otherwise. Nope. Never.

Politics? Sleazy and cutthroat about money and power. Religion? Deceit and power plays abound. Business of every kind imaginable? Lust for money and manipulations to make the biggest bottom line.

But Boxing? Never. Anyone who ever laced up the gloves, trained a fighter, or managed his business became miraculously transformed into paragons of virtue who were literally incapable of even a trace of dishonesty and always acted with spiritual purity. Like instant and permanent salvation.

Message board any better for you now, Houdini?
D9Garrard is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2012, 10:25 PM   #58
BillB
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D9Garrard View Post
Let's make the knuckleheads happy. No fight was ever fixed. Not even where the mob was involved. No fighter ever took a dive. Not even when the odds were set up where they could make ten times the money than otherwise. Nope. Never.

Politics? Sleazy and cutthroat about money and power. Religion? Deceit and power plays abound. Business of every kind imaginable? Lust for money and manipulations to make the biggest bottom line.

But Boxing? Never. Anyone who ever laced up the gloves, trained a fighter, or managed his business became miraculously transformed into paragons of virtue who were literally incapable of even a trace of dishonesty and always acted with spiritual purity. Like instant and permanent salvation.

Message board any better for you now, Houdini?

You're absolutely right.

Add to that, Liston was owned by Frankie Carbo and Blinky Palermo . These were two fine and upstanding gentlemen who would never tolerate a fix.

As a student of boxing history since 1970 (he's told us this about 10 times in the last two days), HOUDINI must be aware of this.
BillB is offline  Top
Old 11-12-2012, 11:52 PM   #59
Lord Tywin
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillB View Post
You're absolutely right.

Add to that, Liston was owned by Frankie Carbo and Blinky Palermo . These were two fine and upstanding gentlemen who would never tolerate a fix.

As a student of boxing history since 1970 (he's told us this about 10 times in the last two days), HOUDINI must be aware of this.

Both Palermo and Carbo's influence in boxing and Liston's career had been effectively broken at this point and both were serving extended sentences in federal prison.
Lord Tywin is offline  Top
Old 11-13-2012, 12:36 AM   #60
D9Garrard
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Look, I can't say with concrete certainty that Sonny took a dive in either fight for either money or any other reason and no one else can either. But to dismiss the possibility (nevertheless the likelihood) with complete certainty is a position that deserves sarcastic scorn and displays an adolescent view of a sport centered around gambling and money.

My question is why is this possibility SO threatening to several of the posters on this thread that they literally throw tantrums? If Liston did do a half-gainer off the high dive, does that mean that Clay couldn't have beaten him in a shoot? Does it besmirch the entire foundation of professional boxing as we know it? Does it completely destroy everything Clay/Ali ever accomplished in his entire career? I say "no" to all three of those questions, BTW.

If Liston, a lifelong hustler under mob control, decided to maximize his profits by embarking on a dishonest business venture, I don't think this means that Mother Mary didn't give birth as a virgin, that we didn't actually land on the moon, or that your personal paternity is in question. Seriously, get a grip and stop being so insecure about something that may or may not have happened fifty years ago. This overreacting makes me think a few of you fit the quote from Shakespeare that "You doth protest too much"
D9Garrard is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum