Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 11-11-2012, 04:18 PM   #1
WhamBam
Keeping Cool
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75
Default i dont see whats so special about mares?

He's beaten fighters in controversial fashion. I see santa cruz and donnair put on giant whopping on him. He's worldclass but isn't an elite fighter.
WhamBam is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2012, 04:21 PM   #2
wutang
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Default Re: i dont see whats so special about mares?

I know exactly what you're saying.on the surface he just looks like an average fighter. I find he squares up too much too. but the guy has good heart and a good fighting spirit which seems to have taken him pretty far. obviously he's doing something right because he keeps winning against elite competition
wutang is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2012, 04:27 PM   #3
Doc
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Bhop was hated on in a similar fashion for his dirty tactics yet the mother****er is an ATG now..

You'll soon learn to respect him. Don't let the hate blind you.
Doc is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2012, 04:32 PM   #4
WhamBam
Keeping Cool
ESB Senior Member

he didn't even domiante moreno, did you see how ammeturish he looked at time's when he was chasing after moreno, the fight was closer then the bias scorecards showed and mares deserved to get a point taken away for persistent low blows.
WhamBam is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2012, 04:33 PM   #5
kwilson71
#MAYDAY
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBam View Post
he didn't even domiante moreno, did you see how ammeturish he looked at time's when he was chasing after moreno, the fight was closer then the bias scorecards showed and mares deserved to get a point taken away for persistent low blows.
I dont think anybody would dominate Moreno. Including Donaire and Rigo.
kwilson71 is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2012, 04:35 PM   #6
locard
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 495

Quote:
Yet he still had more success against Moreno than anyone ever before, and was the first guy to knock him down. you mad?
locard is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2012, 04:36 PM   #7
The Akbar One
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
He's beaten fighters in controversial fashion. I see santa cruz and donnair put on giant whopping on him. He's worldclass but isn't an elite fighter.
I agree. Take away his dirtyness and he is above average.
The Akbar One is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2012, 04:43 PM   #8
locard
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 495

Another thing to mention is that Mares succesfully adapted his style for this fight,

Mares is a boxer-puncher but he turned into a rabid swarmer this saturday in order to defeat the more skilled and taller slickster, and he prevailed.

Great fighters can adapt to all styles and Mares is proving to be one of them
locard is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2012, 04:57 PM   #9
gyll
Undetectable
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Mares is a good dude. Give him the benefit of the doubt. One of the beautiful things about the sport of boxing is that someone who wasn't born with a type of Roy Jones or Mayweather talent can become an elite. Mares is special because he's beaten special fighters. He's not the most polished, well-rounded fighter but who really is these days with exception of a few? It took Pacquiao more than 5 yrs to develop a right hand. He was once crude as hell. Mares has one of the most impressive resumes today. He could be chasing old legends for a big payday but he isn't. He's fighting guys like Moreno and Agbeko and beating them. I'd rather support Mares than a hype job who hasn't proven shit.
gyll is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2012, 05:00 PM   #10
Leonit
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1666

Quote:
you speak like Moreno is some kind of bum. You are prolly trolling tho.
Leonit is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2012, 05:03 PM   #11
Leonit
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1666

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilson71 View Post
I dont think anybody would dominate Moreno. Including Donaire and Rigo.
I would favor Moreno against Donaire personally. He will frustrate the shit out of him.
Leonit is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2012, 05:06 PM   #12
Doc
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by locard View Post
Another thing to mention is that Mares succesfully adapted his style for this fight,

Mares is a boxer-puncher but he turned into a rabid swarmer this saturday in order to defeat the more skilled and taller slickster, and he prevailed.

Great fighters can adapt to all styles and Mares is proving to be one of them

The sign of a Truly Great Fighter, he doesn't just have one style, but can adapt to any style thrown out to him and change himself up to get the upper hand, with Abgeko 2 we saw an incredibly Smart boxer puncher, with Moreno a relentless machine. With Morel another good boxer puncher performance.

average fighters Can't do what Mares did to a TOP P4P fighter and time him so well troughout the fight.

mares is a great little warrior.
Doc is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2012, 05:08 PM   #13
jrzbox
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gyll View Post
Mares is a good dude. Give him the benefit of the doubt. One of the beautiful things about the sport of boxing is that someone who wasn't born with a type of Roy Jones or Mayweather talent can become an elite. Mares is special because he's beaten special fighters. He's not the most polished, well-rounded fighter but who really is these days with exception of a few? It took Pacquiao more than 5 yrs to develop a right hand. He was once crude as hell. Mares has one of the most impressive resumes today. He could be chasing old legends for a big payday but he isn't. He's fighting guys like Moreno and Agbeko and beating them. I'd rather support Mares than a hype job who hasn't proven shit.
Can't agree more he fights everybody and gives great fights give him some credit
jrzbox is online now  Top
Old 11-11-2012, 05:51 PM   #14
PR BOXING
Belt holder
ESB Addict

It seems that here in ESB, the general way of thinking is that if the guy doesn't have incredible speed and power, he is not elite

I rather have a fighter like Mares who is committed to winning, gives his all, fights the best and has a chin and heart than this bunch of fighters who have speed and power but they fight tomato cans, have glass chins and fold under pressure
PR BOXING is offline  Top
Old 11-11-2012, 05:55 PM   #15
MetalLicker
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Mares is one of the smartest and most capable fighters in boxing right now.

He's not special at anything, but he's good at everything. He's got good offensive footwork that allowed him to get inside constantly. He matched Moreno step for step when Moreno was backing up. He's got good speed and a nice arsenal.

His plan last night was perfect...I don't think there is a better way to beat Moreno than what Mares did last night. I guarantee you he'll use the same tactics against Donaire and Rigo if they fight. And given what we've seen so far, he's capable of executing almost any fight plan.
MetalLicker is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum