Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 01-08-2013, 10:52 PM   #151
Outboxer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Floyd Mayweather vs Top 10 Contenders/Champions

The first Castillo fight is the only 'could have gone either way' type fight in his career. The last time I saw it, I thought it was a draw, but you can make a case for both fighters. Castillo got to Mayweather's body in a way that no other opponent has managed.
Outboxer is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-2013, 04:18 PM   #152
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotime View Post
Best undefeated record of all time IMO
Probably.
Hands of Iron is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2013, 04:21 PM   #153
SJS19
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

If he's good enough to get into SJS19's Avatar, then the man is damn good.
SJS19 is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2013, 04:33 PM   #154
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJS19 View Post
If he's good enough to get into SJS19's Avatar, then the man is damn good.
BORKED
Old 01-24-2013, 04:56 PM   #155
SJS19
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I've always considered him a hybrid of Jones and Hopkins, the missing link if you will.

Almost as athletically gifted as Jones
Almost as smart as Hopkins

Combined then that is one hell of a fighter.
SJS19 is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2013, 04:59 PM   #156
Nonito Smoak
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 1500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outboxer View Post
The first Castillo fight is the only 'could have gone either way' type fight in his career. The last time I saw it, I thought it was a draw, but you can make a case for both fighters. Castillo got to Mayweather's body in a way that no other opponent has managed.
I agree.

And while a case could easily be made for Castillo, Mayweather did quite easily sweep the first 5 rounds. Tough to tell me that Mayweather didn't win a single one of the remaining 7. I've scored this fight 7-5 twice and 6-6 once.
Nonito Smoak is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2013, 05:03 PM   #157
Reppin501
The People's Champ
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by box4life11 View Post
He's undefeated so I wouldn't say that until he gets beat Floyd's been hurt many times and lost clearly in the first Castillo fight
Undefeated? Oh so you just make shit up as you go...cool. Either way, Floyd beats the ****ing piss out of Mathysse, come on bro.
Reppin501 is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2013, 05:07 PM   #158
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by orriray59 View Post
I guarantee when Floyd Mayweather is gone we will all miss him.
Guaranteed.

Hes half my post history
Old 01-24-2013, 05:20 PM   #159
LACMEXAME
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Once you look at the QUALITY of the opponents, the ratings don't really hold weight. There wasn't much quality and the ones that did, were past their best. Obviously, you still have to give credit to Floyd for winning the fights. There is no question, he is one of the all-time greats. A very complete boxer but his resume has always been overrated IMO.
LACMEXAME is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2013, 05:51 PM   #160
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by LACMEXAME View Post
Once you look at the QUALITY of the opponents, the ratings don't really hold weight. There wasn't much quality and the ones that did, were past their best. Obviously, you still have to give credit to Floyd for winning the fights. There is no question, he is one of the all-time greats. A very complete boxer but his resume has always been overrated IMO.
If you're saying Julio's greater, I agree. There's a lot more that goes into it than a particular rating in a particular division at a particular time. For some of them, they hold real weight. Some not. He's managed to consistently fight remarkably top rated guys for the duration but thats where the debate comes in... Thats why this thread thrived.
Old 01-24-2013, 06:04 PM   #161
canucks9314
Iron Chinned ATG Warrior
East Side Guru

vCash: 2146

People will only appreciate him when he's retired.
canucks9314 is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2013, 06:29 PM   #162
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucks9314 View Post
People will only appreciate him when he's retired.
I will miss him.
Old 01-24-2013, 07:56 PM   #163
MVC
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 681

I already miss him now and he's NOT retired.

I'm at the Mayweather gym once a year and I want to see him/Leonard/Jones/Roger/Jeff.

Anyways, Mayweather is the greatest fighter in this era.

15-20 ATG list. Deal with it, Pactards/Juantards/Ray Leotards

When Floyd retires, he will be 46-0 (3 more fights) with wins over Canelo, Ghost, Pac.
MVC is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2013, 08:57 PM   #164
LACMEXAME
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hands of Iron View Post
If you're saying Julio's greater, I agree. There's a lot more that goes into it than a particular rating in a particular division at a particular time. For some of them, they hold real weight. Some not. He's managed to consistently fight remarkably top rated guys for the duration but thats where the debate comes in... Thats why this thread thrived.
My comment really had nothing to do with JCC. I've just studied Mayweather's resume for a while and always came to that conclusion. I have a ton of respect for him as a boxer. Fantastic skill. I'm just not too impressed with his resume, comparing it to other greats. I agree that some of the fighters he fought carry weight. I always felt that his best run was when he was at the lower weight classes. Corrales and Castillo were very credible, GREAT wins (even though I had Castillo winning the first). The problem I have is that most of the guys he faced, were never that good or great. Many were rated high at that time, but in terms of SKILL, I don't think any of his opponents were that good. When he faced some of the "Hall Of Fame" caliber boxers (DLH, Mosley, Cotto, Marquez), they were either past prime or at a disadvantage (Marquez). Hatton, Baldomir were always overrated IMO. I'm not blaming all this on May. Maybe he was a bit unlucky that he wasn't able to face some guys in their prime. He also tends to cherry pick. I just feel that Mayweather hasn't been able to show how great he is because of this. Having an undefeated record is always impressive, which is why I consider him to be an all-time great but when people speak of him as the GOAT, I think it's a joke. His resume doesn't reflect that.
LACMEXAME is offline  Top
Old 01-24-2013, 09:09 PM   #165
Elite
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 143

Quote:
Originally Posted by LACMEXAME View Post
My comment really had nothing to do with JCC. I've just studied Mayweather's resume for a while and always came to that conclusion. I have a ton of respect for him as a boxer. Fantastic skill. I'm just not too impressed with his resume, comparing it to other greats. I agree that some of the fighters he fought carry weight. I always felt that his best run was when he was at the lower weight classes. Corrales and Castillo were very credible, GREAT wins (even though I had Castillo winning the first). The problem I have is that most of the guys he faced, were never that good or great. Many were rated high at that time, but in terms of SKILL, I don't think any of his opponents were that good. When he faced some of the "Hall Of Fame" caliber boxers (DLH, Mosley, Cotto, Marquez), they were either past prime or at a disadvantage (Marquez). Hatton, Baldomir were always overrated IMO. I'm not blaming all this on May. Maybe he was a bit unlucky that he wasn't able to face some guys in their prime. He also tends to cherry pick. I just feel that Mayweather hasn't been able to show how great he is because of this. Having an undefeated record is always impressive, which is why I consider him to be an all-time great but when people speak of him as the GOAT, I think it's a joke. His resume doesn't reflect that.
Elite is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum