Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 10-29-2012, 01:12 PM   #1
MichiganWarrior
Still Slick! Still Black!
East Side VIP

vCash: 571
Default Boxing myth #2190 Sugar Ray fought Durans fight in Montreal

Nooooo!

Sugar Ray Leonard started off as a speedy slugger early on in his career. He loves to trade and even interviewed by Brian Kenny stated as an amatuer he tried his best to emulate Joe Frazier.

When he fought Duran he fought how he had fought most of his career at that point. As a guy with superior athleticism and power who tried to take you out with blazing hand speed. Infact Sugar Ray given his abilities was very much a good not great outboxer. People remember his fights against Duran 2 and Hagler where he was able to frustrate with his foot and hand speed. But forget he was being outboxed by Hearns before he went classic Sugar Ray slugger mode and took him out.

To check out other classic myths busted by Michiganwarrior

Boxing Myth #1890 - Ali invented the rope a dope prior to the fight in Zaire

Boxing Myth #89 - Toney was losing badly to Nunn before stoppage

Boxing myth #1234 - Pacquiao on dat A-side meth ( its actually balut)
MichiganWarrior is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-2012, 01:22 PM   #2
JohnAnthony
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 272
Default Re: Boxing myth #2190 Sugar Ray fought Durans fight in Montreal

Boxing Myth #812 Taylor was pitching a shutout over chavez up until the last 30 seconds of the fight (We have HBO and Mainly Leonard to blame for that)
JohnAnthony is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2012, 01:25 PM   #3
Porgeous Porge
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

actually Leonard's strategy in the rematch of not really engaging was not Leonards real style
Porgeous Porge is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2012, 01:26 PM   #4
Porgeous Porge
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAnthony View Post
Boxing Myth #812 Taylor was pitching a shutout over chavez up until the last 30 seconds of the fight (We have HBO and Mainly Leonard to blame for that)
as much as i love legendary nights they do kind of push those myths around
Old 10-29-2012, 01:26 PM   #5
MichiganWarrior
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porgeous Porge View Post
actually Leonard's strategy in the rematch of not really engaging was not Leonards real style
Yep. Infact it is very much the opposite of what Leonard was at that point in his career.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:27 PM   #6
MichiganWarrior
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAnthony View Post
Agreed. You dont get ruined as a fighter in a fight youre dominating. With the knockdown it very much could have been a draw.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:28 PM   #7
Porgeous Porge
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganWarrior View Post
No it wasnt. Infact it is very much the opposite of what Leonard was at that point in his career.
thats why i hate when ppl say he fought Durans fight in the first and more of his style in the second

i think Leonard fought his own style in fight 1 but fought a different style designed to beat Duran, couldnt beat Duran how he wanted to so he had to approach him different

Leonard fought very well vs Duran in fight 1 and i though it was really close last time i scored
Old 10-29-2012, 01:31 PM   #8
MichiganWarrior
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porgeous Porge View Post
thats why i hate when ppl say he fought Durans fight in the first and more of his style in the second

i think Leonard fought his own style in fight 1 but fought a different style designed to beat Duran, couldnt beat Duran how he wanted to so he had to approach him different

Leonard fought very well vs Duran in fight 1 and i though it was really close last time i scored
Thats another myth associated with this one. The fight was extremely close. Infact Leonard thought he won. I believe a good portion of writers scored it for Leonard.

However the fact Leonard couldnt beat a light weight when he had utterly annihilated all previous opposition was a major shock in the boxing world. Thus "Leonard fought Durans fight" be like Mayweather being outboxed by Marquez
Old 10-29-2012, 01:33 PM   #9
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Strange that he said several times himself that he fought the wrong fight.
Not sure if you mean he fought the wrong fight or just "Duran's fight"
So I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

But in June 1980, in Montreal, I lost because I lost composure against Roberto Duran, one of the most intimidating fighters ever. He would stare, push, shove, curse me, and then curse my wife. I allowed him to take me out of my game plan. Once you can control your emotion, you will reap benefits. Maintain composure. At that time, I only had 27 bouts versus 70 for Duran.

(Video showed Duran taunting Leonard, by pointing at his own chin during the fight, inviting Leonard to try to hit it. Duran taunted him repeatedly, even after the last round, before the decision. Duran won, 145 to 144.)

That hurt. Physically, it did hurt. Mentally, it hurt more. It was my first loss. The first time I had to deal with BAD. After that particular fight, I contemplated retirement. I questioned myself. I went on vacation, and I thought a lot about how to respond to the setback. I thought about how many times I worked at a certain level. I had fought the wrong fight against the man they called “Hands of Stone.”

I had to change the way his image affected me. Don’t look into his eyes, the press told me. I knew his eyes could not hurt me. It was his hands that I had to watch, when I fought him again, less than 6 months later.

(Video: Leonard got out of the corners more quickly, and landed blows on Duran, several times, hard. Finally, Leonard wound up dramatically with his right, and hit Duran hard with a quick left. Eventually Duran signaled he had enough. “No mas,” he told the referee. “No more.” Duran quit. Leonard won.)

When I was training, I saw that first loss in my head and knew it could happen again. I trained hard.

The day of the fight, I had extra inspiration. I was named after Ray Charles. You saw in the video, he was there to sing the National Anthem before the fight. I got to meet my namesake. And after Ray Charles finished singing, he came over, hugged me, and offered brief words of inspiration.
PityTheFool is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2012, 01:35 PM   #10
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Thats another myth associated with this one. The fight was extremely close. Infact Leonard thought he won. I believe a good portion of writers scored it for Leonard.

However the fact Leonard couldnt beat a light weight when he had utterly annihilated all previous opposition was a major shock in the boxing world. Thus "Leonard fought Durans fight" be like Mayweather being outboxed by Marquez
I loved the way Ray put his hands up and Cholo lost the plot at the end.Always thought he did it more to annoy Duran.Funny as ****.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:39 PM   #11
MichiganWarrior
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by PityTheFool View Post
Strange that he said several times himself that he fought the wrong fight.
Not sure if you mean he fought the wrong fight or just "Duran's fight"
So I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

But in June 1980, in Montreal, I lost because I lost composure against Roberto Duran, one of the most intimidating fighters ever. He would stare, push, shove, curse me, and then curse my wife. I allowed him to take me out of my game plan. Once you can control your emotion, you will reap benefits. Maintain composure. At that time, I only had 27 bouts versus 70 for Duran.

(Video showed Duran taunting Leonard, by pointing at his own chin during the fight, inviting Leonard to try to hit it. Duran taunted him repeatedly, even after the last round, before the decision. Duran won, 145 to 144.)

That hurt. Physically, it did hurt. Mentally, it hurt more. It was my first loss. The first time I had to deal with BAD. After that particular fight, I contemplated retirement. I questioned myself. I went on vacation, and I thought a lot about how to respond to the setback. I thought about how many times I worked at a certain level. I had fought the wrong fight against the man they called “Hands of Stone.”

I had to change the way his image affected me. Don’t look into his eyes, the press told me. I knew his eyes could not hurt me. It was his hands that I had to watch, when I fought him again, less than 6 months later.

(Video: Leonard got out of the corners more quickly, and landed blows on Duran, several times, hard. Finally, Leonard wound up dramatically with his right, and hit Duran hard with a quick left. Eventually Duran signaled he had enough. “No mas,” he told the referee. “No more.” Duran quit. Leonard won.)

When I was training, I saw that first loss in my head and knew it could happen again. I trained hard.

The day of the fight, I had extra inspiration. I was named after Ray Charles. You saw in the video, he was there to sing the National Anthem before the fight. I got to meet my namesake. And after Ray Charles finished singing, he came over, hugged me, and offered brief words of inspiration.
Its better to say than "that little panamanian beat me at my own game". Me with the size, speed and athletic advantages got roughes around the ring by a lightweight.

Nah everyone fights the weong fight when they lose.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:57 PM   #12
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Its better to say than "that little panamanian beat me at my own game". Me with the size, speed and athletic advantages got roughes around the ring by a lightweight.

To be fair,he ignored Angie and Janks' pre-fight tactics.
I still think that loss is as important to Ray's legacy as the Benitez win.He proved he was much more than a dancing slickster that night,which was the casual fans' perception of him.
Old 10-29-2012, 01:58 PM   #13
SoxNation
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1248

Leonard fought the wrong fight against Duran in their first fight and pretending otherwise won't change that fact. Watch Leonard's fights against Benitez, Geraldo, Ranzany and other guys before he fought Duran and you'll see that he boxed in all of those fights. He started off boxing against Duran, but began to slug and fight on the inside as the fight progressed. He allowed Duran to dictate the style and pace, but he refused to do let him do that in the rematch. That's basically what he's been saying for years. It's all on video and you can see it for yourself.

I've never heard anyone say that Taylor was shutting out Chavez. He was winning, but he didn't win every round.
SoxNation is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2012, 01:59 PM   #14
PityTheFool
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:

I'm really not sure where you're going here.Are you saying that the whole gameplan through camp was to fight Duran the way he did?

So everyone from his team just went along with the "wrong fight" line?
Old 10-29-2012, 01:59 PM   #15
MichiganWarrior
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoxNation View Post
Leonard fought the wrong fight against Duran in their first fight and pretending otherwise won't change that fact. Watch Leonard's fights against Benitez, Geraldo, Ranzany and other guys before he fought Duran and you'll see that he boxed in all of those fights. He started off boxing against Duran, but began to slug and fight on the inside as the fight progressed. He allowed Duran to dictate the style and pace, but he refused to do let him do that in the rematch. That's basically what he's been saying for years. It's all on video and you can see it for yourself.

I've never heard anyone say that Taylor was shutting out Chavez. He was winning, but he didn't win every round.
He slugged it out with Benitez. Infact he slugged it out with most opponents he fought. His superior power and speed won the day. Not that day though.

Sugar Ray was not a runner. That is a myth. Infact he was a great range boxer either

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum