Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 11-14-2012, 10:59 AM   #1
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 41998
Default Angelo Santana vs. Juan Garcia - Friday 11/16 on Showtime (Henry vs. Cabrera off)

This ShoBox could actually shape up to be pretty fun.

Four zeroes on the line.

Henry is obviously the only real "name", but it is hardly as though he's more proven than his opponent in the ring. He's more of a gym legend (and new-media self-promoting rubbish talker).

In fact, when you combine their amateur and professional dossiers it might actually be Cabrera with the greater credentials. He twice represented Dominica at the Olympics (losing in Athens to none other than Hassan N'Dam N'Jikam, and on countback), which trumps Henry's high water mark of state Golden Gloves champ. He also holds victories over: Yordanis Despaigne, Alfredo Angulo, and Jean Pascal. Henry did alright with his 60-5 record, but can't really touch any of that. Since turning pro, their competition has been similarly ho-hum.

Then we have a match-up of KO artists in Santana vs. Garcia, with nationalistic implications pitting a Cuban defector against a Michigander Yank.

Both have apparently padded records, but scratch a little deeper and there is some quality.

The beefcake Santana recently dealt the first stoppage loss to Justín Savi (WBC #16 featherweight, and I believe a training partner of Anges Adjaho) in rather destructive fashion with a series of brutal cannonball straight lefts. He also recently ended the two-win streak on American soil of then 8-0-1 Russian prospect Ramzan Adaev.

Meanwhile, Johnny Garcia was responsible for handing both William "Action" Jackson and Yordenis Ugas (each mildly ballyhooed for a time) their first tastes of defeat. Having said that, I scored the latter bout a shutout for Ugas and was as shocked as everybody else at the official result. There were times Yordenis looked to have Garcia in some trouble and he opened some gnarly cuts. The kid is tough and determined, with a spirited body attack, and definitely gave Ugas some hassle - but if this other Cuban is as beastly as he was made to look against Savi, this could be a case of one 13-0 guy being cannibalized by another.
IntentionalButt is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-14-2012, 11:17 AM   #2
hungover
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 158
Default Re: Omar Henry vs. Juan Cabrera & Angelo Santana vs. Juan Garcia - Fri. 11/16 on Show

I'll watch it. Thanks for some background info.
hungover is offline  Top
Old 11-14-2012, 11:24 AM   #3
Kid Cubano
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Omar Henry vs. Juan Cabrera & Angelo Santana vs. Juan Garcia - Fri. 11/16 on Show

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
This ShoBox could actually shape up to be pretty fun.

Four zeroes on the line.

Henry is obviously the only real "name", but it is hardly as though he's more proven than his opponent in the ring. He's more of a gym legend (and new-media self-promoting rubbish talker).

In fact, when you combine their amateur and professional dossiers it might actually be Cabrera with the greater credentials. He twice represented Dominica at the Olympics (losing in Athens to none other than Hassan N'Dam N'Jikam, and on countback), which trumps Henry's high water mark of state Golden Gloves champ. He also holds victories over: Yordanis Despaigne, Alfredo Angulo, and Jean Pascal. Henry did alright with his 60-5 record, but can't really touch any of that. Since turning pro, their competition has been similarly ho-hum.

Then we have a match-up of KO artists in Santana vs. Garcia, with nationalistic implications pitting a Cuban defector against a Michigander Yank.

Both have apparently padded records, but scratch a little deeper and there is some quality.

The beefcake Santana recently dealt the first stoppage loss to Justín Savi (WBC #16 featherweight, and I believe a training partner of Anges Adjaho) in rather destructive fashion with a series of brutal cannonball straight lefts. He also recently ended the two-win streak on American soil of then 8-0-1 Russian prospect Ramzan Adaev.

Meanwhile, Johnny Garcia was responsible for handing both William "Action" Jackson and Yordenis Ugas (each mildly ballyhooed for a time) their first tastes of defeat. Having said that, I scored the latter bout a shutout for Ugas and was as shocked as everybody else at the official result. There were times Yordenis looked to have Garcia in some trouble and he opened some gnarly cuts. The kid is tough and determined, with a spirited body attack, and definitely gave Ugas some hassle - but if this other Cuban is as beastly as he was made to look against Savi, this could be a case of one 13-0 guy being cannibalized by another.

IB you are back? glad to see you around again.
Ugas surely looked like shit against Garcia,still i agree with you he won that fight.garcia was wild and ineffective with his punches,another case of judges just looking for "aggression".
Santana hasnt show me yet a clear solid performance.His fundamentals dont convince me yet but he can bang and improving in the gym.
Kid Cubano is offline  Top
Old 11-14-2012, 11:24 AM   #4
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

I think it's quite possible Team America goes 0-2.

Then, maybe the Dominican's skills and the Cuban's power aren't what conclusions drawn from available research would make them out to be.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:27 PM   #5
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cubano View Post
IB you are back? glad to see you around again.
Ugas surely looked like shit against Garcia,still i agree with you he won that fight.garcia was wild and ineffective with his punches,another case of judges just looking for "aggression".
Santana hasnt show me yet a clear solid performance.His fundamentals dont convince me yet but he can bang and improving in the gym.
I'm not sure about "back", but I'm around a bit more.

Moving in with my mom, so no longer technically homeless. (and without consistent net access)

That's an auspicious start, anyway.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:32 PM   #6
Samurai's Slice
ESB Legend
East Side Guru

Location: Follow my blog, Boxing Legends on Facebook for the most up to date boxing news!
vCash: 163

Quote:
I think it's quite possible Team America goes 0-2.

Then, maybe the Dominican's skills and the Cuban's power aren't what conclusions drawn from available research would make them out to be.
Aside from Henry who else is American? No idea who Juan Cabera is so I think a Henry win is almost ensured.

Shame Paulus Moses pulled out of Santana fight. Would have been much better as Garcia is unknown too
Samurai's Slice is offline  Top
Old 11-14-2012, 02:46 PM   #7
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai's Slice View Post
Aside from Henry who else is American? No idea who Juan Cabera is so I think a Henry win is almost ensured.

Shame Paulus Moses pulled out of Santana fight. Would have been much better as Garcia is unknown too
Omar Henry & Juan Garcia are American.

Juan Cabrera is a Dominican, and a decorated amateur (see the OP) who might actually end the Henry self-hype train if his performances & results in the AMs have translated into real pro ability. Henry has never impressed me in his actual in-ring appearances.

Angelo Santana is a Cuban slugger who seems to be packing dynamite. He just launches bombs relentlessly, could be easy to counter if you can slip them or take some without crumbling. Garcia is very tough and maybe the better overall fighter with more of a body attack, but he blocks punches with his face and was in frequent trouble from Ugas (another Cuban, who can box well but isn't really a puncher at all)
Old 11-14-2012, 02:50 PM   #8
Boxing Fanatic
P4P King
East Side VIP

i am intrigued by this fight. glad to see cabrera finally step it up after fighting not too long ago
Boxing Fanatic is offline  Top
Old 11-14-2012, 02:52 PM   #9
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxing Fanatic View Post
i am intrigued by this fight. glad to see cabrera finally step it up after fighting not too long ago
You think he's got what it takes? Henry doesn't have a lot of substance, but he is a big strong dude at the weight, kind of a bruiser, and he's at least sparred with a lot of world class pros which might offset how competitive Cabrera was in the amateurs against guys who went on to become excellent pros.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:57 PM   #10
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Don't quote me on this, but the winner of Omar Henry vs. Juan Ubaldo Cabrera may enter into candidacy for the Ricky Hatton comeback sweepstakes.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:02 PM   #11
Samurai's Slice
ESB Legend
East Side Guru

Location: Follow my blog, Boxing Legends on Facebook for the most up to date boxing news!

Quote:
Omar Henry & Juan Garcia are American.

Juan Cabrera is a Dominican, and a decorated amateur (see the OP) who might actually end the Henry self-hype train if his performances & results in the AMs have translated into real pro ability. Henry has never impressed me in his actual in-ring appearances.

Angelo Santana is a Cuban slugger who seems to be packing dynamite. He just launches bombs relentlessly, could be easy to counter if you can slip them or take some without crumbling. Garcia is very tough and maybe the better overall fighter with more of a body attack, but he blocks punches with his face and was in frequent trouble from Ugas (another Cuban, who can box well but isn't really a puncher at all)
I weakly remember Ugas-Garcia on Shobox, didn't most have it for Ugas? Remember it was close, boxer vs puncher.

I will go with USA 2-0. Judging by what you are saying though upsets are very possible. Any video of either man ( Santana, Cabrera )?
Old 11-14-2012, 03:04 PM   #12
Kid Cubano
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:

Moving in with my mom, so no longer technically homeless. (and without consistent net access)

good luck bro, i've been there before.Hope the kid is alright
Kid Cubano is offline  Top
Old 11-14-2012, 03:09 PM   #13
Samurai's Slice
ESB Legend
East Side Guru

Quote:

Rough times. Let me know if there are any RBR's here you can't do on the board.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:09 PM   #14
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai's Slice View Post
I weakly remember Ugas-Garcia on Shobox, didn't most have it for Ugas? Remember it was close, boxer vs puncher.

I will go with USA 2-0. Judging by what you are saying though upsets are very possible. Any video of either man?
Santana's last TKO:
BORKED

^ Savi is the best opponent either man has faced until each other, still not world level, but a decent victim and result considering how he manhandled him.

Santana racked up a very impressive 180-3 record in the Cuban amateur system before defecting (via a wooden raft up the Caribbean sea) and signing with Don King.

One of Garcia's from last year:
BORKED

Here's the RBR thread for Ugas vs. Garcia, where pretty much all of us saw it wide or even a shutout for Ugas although some of the action was tit-for-tat. Very confusing scoring, and it can't even be chalked up to home cooking as it wasn't Garcia's native state.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Old 11-14-2012, 03:11 PM   #15
IntentionalButt
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Cubano View Post
good luck bro, i've been there before.Hope the kid is alright
Yeah man, he's fine, my wife is taking excellent care of him. Just wish I could be there myself, but right now that isn't an option.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum