Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 11-15-2012, 11:02 PM   #1
BlueBottle
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500
Default punching power differences in percentage terms

If you are to give a percentage difference in punching power for these 2 comparisons: 1. professional boxer and a normal guy who actively participates in sports and 2. a power puncher and a boxer of the same level.

Just speculating, I say for 1. the boxer hits 50% harder and 2. the power puncher hits 10% harder.

Anybody boxer here think you have increase your punching power by 50% since becoming the boxer? You probably have a better idea of the difference than I do.
BlueBottle is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2012, 11:26 PM   #2
Big Red
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1036
Default Re: punching power differences in percentage terms

I would say 100% harder is a good guess. Its not the same but a real hard thrower in baseball throws close to 100 mph. While a normal person is close to about 50mph, I think. So to throw a 100mph they would have to throw 100% harder.

Same goes for power hitting. I think a good power hitter hits the ball about twice as far as a normal person could. Its not the same thing, but going by that I think a good power punching boxer might punch twice as hard as a normal person.
Big Red is offline  Top
Old 11-16-2012, 12:25 AM   #3
BlueBottle
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Red View Post
I would say 100% harder is a good guess. Its not the same but a real hard thrower in baseball throws close to 100 mph. While a normal person is close to about 50mph, I think. So to throw a 100mph they would have to throw 100% harder.

Same goes for power hitting. I think a good power hitter hits the ball about twice as far as a normal person could. Its not the same thing, but going by that I think a good power punching boxer might punch twice as hard as a normal person.
I think your using of the mph numbers from pitching is an excellent one because it goes to the development of the arms and technique when you become a professional. I'll like to see more technology develop to give boxing more interest like a radar gun for the speed of the punch and impact of the contact.
BlueBottle is offline  Top
Old 11-16-2012, 01:16 AM   #4
Big Red
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBottle View Post
I think your using of the mph numbers from pitching is an excellent one because it goes to the development of the arms and technique when you become a professional. I'll like to see more technology develop to give boxing more interest like a radar gun for the speed of the punch and impact of the contact.
Yeah, some boxers have had their punching power measured, but not to many that I know of. I kind of like the power that a boxer has being a bit of a mystery myself.

It would be cool in a way if we knew how hard a boxer could hit with every punch . Overrall I would have to say I would rather not know that iformation though.
Big Red is offline  Top
Old 11-16-2012, 01:19 AM   #5
Barrera
Cotto Crabwalk Enthusiast
ESB Addict

Quote:

seems legit
Barrera is offline  Top
Old 11-16-2012, 01:20 AM   #6
Barrera
Cotto Crabwalk Enthusiast
ESB Addict

Quote:
Yeah, some boxers have had their punching power measured, but not to many that I know of. I kind of like the power that a boxer has being a bit of a mystery myself.

It would be cool in a way if we knew how hard a boxer could hit with every punch . Overrall I would have to say I would rather not know that iformation though.
id love to take spar a round with an elite level fighter my weight just to have them go ALL OUT ON ME. as if it wouldent inspire you to achieve that level of greatness yourself? (iv i survived...)
Barrera is offline  Top
Old 11-16-2012, 01:43 AM   #7
Big Red
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrera View Post
id love to take spar a round with an elite level fighter my weight just to have them go ALL OUT ON ME. as if it wouldent inspire you to achieve that level of greatness yourself? (iv i survived...)
I don't think any of them would want to unleash all they had on you if your inexperienced.

I remember Tommy Morrison in an interview explained how when he was in jail a guy wanted to fight him. And he explained how he had to throw a very light punch just to knock him out and how he had to be very carful not to put much into punching him. He said normal people don't understand that he can basicly kill a normal guy with one punch. He said they are not conditioned to take the kind of power he has.
Big Red is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum