Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2012, 05:19 PM   #1
Sandman_
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 674
vCash: 75
Default Should Danny Green have another one (or two) for the road?

I think he should.

You're a long time retired & I think he should make another attempt at one of the major world titles at cruiserweight.

Winning a major world title at cruiserweight would be a significant career achievement.

The only problem with the above scenario is that I think it's probably beyond him to do it. Taking on challenges that appear to be beyond him hasn't bothered him in the past though.

While I don't think the outcome would be any different to what it was against Wlod, Green wouldn't be going into the fight coming in off a kayo defeat like he did last time.

The two wins he's had since then, particularly the Shane Cameron win, give him some momentum to take into the fight. He gave himself no chance against Wlod last time by going in coming off a kayo defeat.

He need not rematch Wlod either. Dennis Lebedev would come out here for sure although I think he would be a tougher nut to crack than Wlod.

The other option of course is a Mundine rematch. The Man won't want to finish up his career on a loss if he loses to Geale and imo, wouldn't be averse to entertaining a challenge to Green for a cruiserweight belt.

If I was Danny Green, I'd be contemplating having another couple of fights next year. One for a major cruiserweight belt, the other a Mundine rematch.

The other consideration is Green's health. He's taken some punishment in his career and he'll likely pay a price for that down the track (if not already).

I'd like to think he could do at least one more big fight though without any substantial further damage being done.

Over to you, Green Machine.
Sandman_ is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2012, 05:43 PM   #2
fighta29
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 890
vCash: 500
Default Re: Should Danny Green have another one (or two) for the road?

Its always been Green and Mundines intention to finish up their respective careers with a re-match.
fighta29 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:05 PM   #3
The Spider
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: Should Danny Green have another one (or two) for the road?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman_ View Post
I think he should.

You're a long time retired & I think he should make another attempt at one of the major world titles at cruiserweight.

Winning a major world title at cruiserweight would be a significant career achievement.

The only problem with the above scenario is that I think it's probably beyond him to do it. Taking on challenges that appear to be beyond him hasn't bothered him in the past though.

While I don't think the outcome would be any different to what it was against Wlod, Green wouldn't be going into the fight coming in off a kayo defeat like he did last time.

The two wins he's had since then, particularly the Shane Cameron win, give him some momentum to take into the fight. He gave himself no chance against Wlod last time by going in coming off a kayo defeat.

He need not rematch Wlod either. Dennis Lebedev would come out here for sure although I think he would be a tougher nut to crack than Wlod.

The other option of course is a Mundine rematch. The Man won't want to finish up his career on a loss if he loses to Geale and imo, wouldn't be averse to entertaining a challenge to Green for a cruiserweight belt.

If I was Danny Green, I'd be contemplating having another couple of fights next year. One for a major cruiserweight belt, the other a Mundine rematch.

The other consideration is Green's health. He's taken some punishment in his career and he'll likely pay a price for that down the track (if not already).

I'd like to think he could do at least one more big fight though without any substantial further damage being done.

Over to you, Green Machine.
You are one of the more informed posters here, but on this occasion I totally disagree with you. I didn't see anything in Green the other night that suggested he should continue other than his desire for the contest. His speed and his ability to apply his skillset are fast deserting him IMO.
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 06:24 PM   #4
kel
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 2,959
vCash: 75
Default Re: Should Danny Green have another one (or two) for the road?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spider View Post
You are one of the more informed posters here, but on this occasion I totally disagree with you. I didn't see anything in Green the other night that suggested he should continue other than his desire for the contest. His speed and his ability to apply his skillset are fast deserting him IMO.
x2
kel is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:11 PM   #5
Gorilla Arms
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 436
vCash: 500
Default Re: Should Danny Green have another one (or two) for the road?

green needs to appreciate where he is with what he has achieved one more hiding would be tragic
Gorilla Arms is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:12 PM   #6
swingin
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,501
vCash: 500
Default Re: Should Danny Green have another one (or two) for the road?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fighta29 View Post
Its always been Green and Mundines intention to finish up their respective careers with a re-match.
yes. when geale beats mundine, the era of mundine and green should end in the same ring, the same night. the winner doesnt matter. they have been the two polarising fighters of the last 10 years.

sure there was vic and a few others. but green and mundine carried the torch for aussie boxing in this era. its only fitting they finish in the same right together on the one night, faded, shells of what they were, but fighting eachother in one last fight for glory.


.
swingin is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:49 PM   #7
darkhorse
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,525
vCash: 500
Default Re: Should Danny Green have another one (or two) for the road?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingin View Post
yes. when geale beats mundine, the era of mundine and green should end in the same ring, the same night. the winner doesnt matter. they have been the two polarising fighters of the last 10 years.

sure there was vic and a few others. but green and mundine carried the torch for aussie boxing in this era. its only fitting they finish in the same right together on the one night, faded, shells of what they were, but fighting eachother in one last fight for glory.


.
x2..at catchweight..haha
darkhorse is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:09 PM   #8
Sandman_
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 674
vCash: 75
Default Re: Should Danny Green have another one (or two) for the road?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spider View Post
You are one of the more informed posters here, but on this occasion I totally disagree with you. I didn't see anything in Green the other night that suggested he should continue other than his desire for the contest. His speed and his ability to apply his skillset are fast deserting him IMO.
To be clear, I'm not saying I think he would beat any of the reigning cruiserweight world champions.

But if he does decide to fight on for another fight or two, it's pointless doing it for a nothing fight.

It needs to be a meaningful fight which is what either a title shot against one of the major world champions would be or a Mundine rematch.

He shouldn't be wasting brain cells on anything other than a significant fight is what I'm saying.
Sandman_ is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:10 PM   #9
bruiserh
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: Should Danny Green have another one (or two) for the road?

I'm with you Sandman
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:12 PM   #10
swingin
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,501
vCash: 500
Default Re: Should Danny Green have another one (or two) for the road?

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhorse View Post
x2..at catchweight..haha

yep. no weight requirements.
swingin is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:22 PM   #11
The Spider
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: Should Danny Green have another one (or two) for the road?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman_ View Post
To be clear, I'm not saying I think he would beat any of the reigning cruiserweight world champions.

But if he does decide to fight on for another fight or two, it's pointless doing it for a nothing fight.

It needs to be a meaningful fight which is what either a title shot against one of the major world champions would be or a Mundine rematch.

He shouldn't be wasting brain cells on anything other than a significant fight is what I'm saying.
Fair call. I just don't think he should be wasting any more brain cells on anyone. If he fights the very top guys he probably loses and there's no point fighting a stiff when he could go out on the back of the Cameron win and with a title attached to it.

There were also a few hints going into the Cameron fight that suggested to me that win or lose that might be it for Green.

Retirement time now on a winning note IMO.
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:33 PM   #12
Sandman_
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 674
vCash: 75
Default Re: Should Danny Green have another one (or two) for the road?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spider View Post
Fair call. I just don't think he should be wasting any more brain cells on anyone. If he fights the very top guys he probably loses and there's no point fighting a stiff when he could go out on the back of the Cameron win and with a title attached to it.

There were also a few hints going into the Cameron fight that suggested to me that win or lose that might be it for Green.

Retirement time now on a winning note IMO.
Fair call yourself. I've got no problem with him giving it away.

If he does want one for the road though, I reckon get Wlod back out here, put it on in Melbourne & if he wins, offer Mundine a rematch.

Plenty of if's, but as a boxing fan, it's what I'd like to see.

I definitely wouldn't like to see him fight on beyond a couple more though because I agree that he's very near to the end of the road.
Sandman_ is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:38 PM   #13
The Spider
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: Should Danny Green have another one (or two) for the road?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman_ View Post
Fair call yourself. I've got no problem with him giving it away.

If he does want one for the road though, I reckon get Wlod back out here, put it on in Melbourne & if he wins, offer Mundine a rematch.

Plenty of if's, but as a boxing fan, it's what I'd like to see.

I definitely wouldn't like to see him fight on beyond a couple more though because I agree that he's very near to the end of the road.
The Mundine rematch just looks so improbable weightwise. If it wasn't for the mega money it would attract, the prospect of it happening would be considered absurd.

But a loss to Geale, and that's the likely outcome, and which direction does Mundine actually head in?
 Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:52 PM   #14
mrdoctor
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 1,943
vCash: 300
Default Re: Should Danny Green have another one (or two) for the road?

im serious here,might be over reaching but serious...keep defending the cruzer ibo belt with contenders and wait till the klits give up there belts,which will be in 2013.once 4 heavy weight belts are dropped and picked up by the klit leftovers pick the slowest one and make him fight at a heavyweight catchwieght with green coming in around 93kg
smash the slow heavyweight around the ring and grab the heavy title..with a pionts win.
and remember one klit has a ibo heavy title so thats actually 5 belts...crazy idea but if it comes off it will cement his legacy..
mrdoctor is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 08:56 PM   #15
The Spider
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
vCash:
Default Re: Should Danny Green have another one (or two) for the road?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdoctor View Post
im serious here,might be over reaching but serious...keep defending the cruzer ibo belt with contenders and wait till the klits give up there belts,which will be in 2013.once 4 heavy weight belts are dropped and picked up by the klit leftovers pick the slowest one and make him fight at a heavyweight catchwieght with green coming in around 93kg
smash the slow heavyweight around the ring and grab the heavy title..with a pionts win.
and remember one klit has a ibo heavy title so thats actually 5 belts...crazy idea but if it comes off it will cement his legacy..
Now that's abstract.

....and standby for the backlash.
 Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:34 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013