Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 11-15-2012, 04:20 AM   #1
kosaros
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 999
Default RIP Johnny Prescott

Johnny Prescott, the popular British heavyweight contender in the 60's, sadly passed away this past weekend at the age of 74.

Thanks to McGrain for the below footage of the two great fights between Prescott and Billy Walker:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDXZYeFnd88&feature=relmfu[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lp_Za90CvCE[/ame]
kosaros is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-2012, 04:22 AM   #2
AlFrancis
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: RIP Johnny Prescott

RIP Johnny Prescott, bad week for British boxing losing Johnny and Wally Swift.
AlFrancis is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2012, 04:23 AM   #3
Gazza
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

R.I.P, bad year for boxing too many deaths
Gazza is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2012, 04:25 AM   #4
kosaros
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 999

This is an article taken from the programme for Prescott-Walker II, which took place on November 12th, 1963.

Prescott, the Playboy Pugilist. The 1963 drama of Johnny boy!

By Sam Leitch, Sunday Mirror

With eight weeks still to go 1963 has indeed been some boxing year for Johnny Prescott, ex-orphan, ex-blacksmith, the Brummie battler who has the looks to match the high life he loves.

January say him a K.O. hero in Smethwick, chaired on the shoulders of his exuberant Midlands fans. March saw women weep at the sight of Prescott, flattened amid Wolverhampton woe, by one of the most perfect punches produced in the year, a right hook dispatched by one Jim Cooper.

May-time saw the strong right arm of Johnny raised in victory, a healthy points verdict over Ray Shiel, but alas a month later a big, amiable, Leicester-based Nigerian truck driver called Alec Barrow sagged Prescott glassy-eyed in 100 secs. of supreme Carmarthen indignity.

July meant a sizeable "cut" in Johnny's purse but he got the prestige revenge he wanted against Barrow with a clear-cut point decision, the same Barrow he once employed as a 30/- per round sparmate!

There is little need to dwell on the September sensation when Prescott, and his opponent tonight, collided in the same Wembley ring. There were only 84 seconds of the last round left when the fight was stopped and Prescott, flabbergasted but fuming, was thwarted of victory he thought he had won.

So between January and the first run-in with old amateur ringmate Billy Walker, Johnny lost not only a stone in weight but a third of his reputation at the Midlands wonder boy of the ring.

But the fiery circumstances and controversy of the fight put him in the big money again.

Prescott's career has not been as haphazard as his 1963 form would suggest. Before Jim Cooper stopped him in precisely four minutes and four seconds, Johnny had run up 22 fights without defeat.

Glamour and drama surround this lad in hectic fashion. Three years ago a handsome, black-haired blacksmith earning 15 a week. Today he boasts a 2,000 car, a wardrobe of 40 suits, pictures in the paper hand-in-hand with Miss United Kingdom and the Duke of Bedford offering historic Woburn Abbey as a training gym!

For his first professional fight on September 5, 1961, Prescott collected 25; the championship of the Midlands sounds lofty but it meant only a 100 purse. Still his 27-fight career (22 wins, three defeats, two draws) has netted around 25,000, a fair proportion of that not being around any more.

For money is there to be spent says the playboy-pugilist, latest in the long line of ring glamour boys. He has trained hard, fought often - six fights in 1961, 14 last year and tonight is the 8th of 1963.

"Ever since I can remember I've been fighting one way or the other," says a lad who can move sweetly around the ring, counter-punching with spasms of left hand class. He is neither afraid to throw nor take a good punch.

Johnny's final word on his last fight is short and sour: "I know I won and the ref was wrong!"

---

R.I.P.
kosaros is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2012, 04:56 AM   #5
Tin_Ribs
Me
ESB Senior Member

RIP. I'm still not over Clive Dunn and Herbert Lom yet either. Or Carmen.....
Tin_Ribs is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2012, 05:16 AM   #6
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Sucks.
McGrain is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2012, 07:46 AM   #7
ron u.k.
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Fighters like Prescott and Billy Walker were a backdrop growing up,it's sad to see him go.Hadn't realised also that Wally Swift had passed away,another name.
There seems to be too many lately.
ron u.k. is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2012, 07:55 AM   #8
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosaros View Post
johnny prescott, the popular british heavyweight contender in the 60's, sadly passed away this past weekend at the age of 74.

Thanks to mcgrain for the below footage of the two great fights between prescott and billy walker:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

r.i.p.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 11-15-2012, 11:35 AM   #9
TED 822
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Agree with everybody.Like many of that era,dont think Johnny would have been a heavyweight today.A British cruiserweight champion at least.
TED 822 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum